Homeless to Homesteader. Anyone here successfully make the transition? (1 Viewer)

Celeree

Here it is nearly a year later since my response. We've moved out here. Grid tied, as it was cheaper to get electric ran than set up solar. Still hoping for solar some day. It's freakin cheap living. I guess technically we are squatting, since the land is not in our name yet, and the house isn't registered.

Off-grid would be nice, but man it would take a lot of work. Am not sure I would want to be tied down with animals. The only utilities we have are power and internet. Plumbing still needs work, but the well works to fill up water jugs. No septic yet, compost toilet til then. Hey, it works, still have more amenities than I had while living in my van.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

stove

Pilgrim
So, I've got some land in Vermont. I'm not off-grid yet, but I plan to be this year (minus internet, b/c yeah). I have a 3bd 2ba double-wide with 0.8 acres ~4 mi out of town, with a well, septic, and oil heat.

This is still gonna take a year or more, and just the power storage (batteries) will cost a small car.

The biggest benefit of the area: *NO* zoning laws, I can build whatever I want.

The biggest downside: VERMONT. It gets COLD, and lots of SNOW. That means tons of energy spent HEATING everything, and material to INSULATE everywhere.

Oh, all that insulation? Rodents *LOVE* it.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Website
www.ebay.com
So, I've got some land in Vermont. I'm not off-grid yet, but I plan to be this year (minus internet, b/c yeah). I have a 3bd 2ba double-wide with 0.8 acres ~4 mi out of town, with a well, septic, and oil heat.

This is still gonna take a year or more, and just the power storage (batteries) will cost a small car.

The biggest downside: VERMONT. It gets COLD, and lots of SNOW. That means tons of energy spent HEATING everything, and material to INSULATE everywhere.

What town? I got a friend in Newfane.

Lamentations

It'd be cool if you could somehow rig free internet.

Darren Scout

Pilgrim
I was traveling in my car in southern Missouri, when the rod in my engine blew out the oil pan. The junk car wasn't worth fixing.
Ended up living in the Mark Twain forest in a tent. I was just outside a small town and got a 3rd shift gas station job. I worked 4 days a week for 10 hours a day. I was saving all my cash. About 3 months later I came back to camp and a forest ranger was waiting for me, and told me to pack up and not return.
I went and bought a Astro van for $1000 and moved in. On my days off I would drive around and go fishing. I started noticing a lot of land for sale signs. I looked into it and 2 months later paid $500 down on a 1.3 acre parcel, $200 a month.
I lived on the property in a shed I threw together for a year and a half as I continued to save money. I was able to sell the land and shed for the amount I had in it to another guy that hired on at the gas station, when I left.

Darren Scout

Pilgrim
I traveled to Eastern Oklahoma and purchased 10 acres of woods for a grand per acre. 660 feet by 660 feet square. Full of red and white oak, pecan, and black walnut. Also has a few persimmon, apricot, and plum trees. I planted some apple, pear, and berries.
No building codes or restrictions, so anything goes. I am off grid, without any utilities.
I built a funny (star plate) shed to live in. My area gets a lot of rainfall, so rain catchment works great. One harbor freight 100 watt solar panel system and a 100 amp hour battery, handle lights and a fan. I can also charge my trac phone and kindle. I cut firewood and have a small woodstove for heat.
I raise a few chickens for eggs, rabbits for meat, and quail for meat and eggs. I plant a small garden for mainly root crops like taters, carrots, and onions. I go fishing almost everyday, there are 2 rivers close by and also 2 big lakes.
The life is pretty laid back once you get everything working. I spend a few hours per day, feeding animals and chopping and splitting wood.
The only bills I have are $6 dollars a year for property tax, $80 for my phone, Around $80 for taxes and tags for the van, and $360 for auto insurance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
CowboyDan9494