Hiya everyone:)

littledevil88

Reaction score
My name is Stig Førsund and i'm a 21 year old man from Horten Norway. I live an ordinary life with work from 8 to 4 and relaxation after that, but this lifestyle is really starting to get on my nerves and i feel more and more "suffocated" as each day goes by:( the only thing holding it together for my part is my girlfriend, who, i was hoping would want to join me, when the time comes:)

i have been thinking about hittin' the lam for about a year now, but i seem to have a little trouble with getting it from an idea, to actually going through with it, and that is why i registred here, i know it's not more to it than saying "fuck it" and hitting the road, but i was hoping that someone in here could post how they first uprooted?

ok, that's it for my introduction, and i'm hoping for some replies pretty soon:)
feel free to write anything, if you have any other input or general tips for me:)

The Stig Signing out:sos:

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Hey littledevil.
The way I did it was I bought a bus ticket to a city that I have never been to before, and just brought my backpack with no plans. No transition, and it worked out.

But, if you use the search function on this forum, you will find all the answers that are scattered around this site.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Hey littledevil. Welcome.
You're right that at some point you might just have to snap to do something that's hard to do at first. My first travel experience seemed scarey to me, and it was flying to another province in Canada...it only happened because the friend I was going to go with, was having feelings for me which she knew I could not return, and bailed on me 4 just before to the flight. I was so pissed, I swore I'd fly there myself, and have fun without her. Turned out being the best thing for me, and I thank her for it, cause it was on that trip that I met the hitching/train hopping kind of travelers and opening my imagination to some more adventurous travel in the future.

Ok, to cut it short, you can either go the Gudj route, or just start with short traveling like most people, and then learn from there. Take a bus or plane somewhere until you feel comfortable traveling on your own, meet some people in that town, some hitchers specifically, join them on a trip, etc.

The bottom line is that you don't need to make the transition any faster that you want to...or you don't need to be a full time traveler. There is a mix of full-time and part-time travelers on this website, and like Gudj says, there is tons (if not too much!) info in the various threads. Just do a search, and make sure to start a new thread for something we haven't talked about yet.

:C)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads