Hitching in Canada, suggestions for a first timer?

Reaction score
A couple of years ago i hitched from Newfoundland to Alaska(with a little train hopping chucked in) and found it,apart from a few places in Quebec,a breeze.

The only time i got stopped by a cop was some place in Saskatchewan and he basically hung around for a while and bitched about moving out there from Toronto with his wife!

Got picked up by lots of different folks:more poor than rich(which always seems to be the case),more men than couples,more couples than women.

Had a few mildly dodgey experiences in Quebec but I'm big-enough and ugly enough to look after myself.

The Maritimes and the Yukon seem to be easier than all the bits in between.

Ive hitched all over

Australia and newZealand and would put Canada up there with with ease of getting rides and the general friendliness of the natives

Reactions: Teko

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
would you pm me more specifics about canada? i am looking to move that way probably start of spring, i love backpacking and i have always lusted after canada's mountains, and in general, canada.

peaceofreese

Reaction score
i just hitched to montreal from boston a couple months ago.. its not hard getting rides over the border but if you need to you can walk over to get back home right in the car lanes (i was a little surprised that border patrol still lets that happen).. i couldnt catch a ride going all the way into the states. just remember it really is a different country be ready or it would be overwhelming. And the french think its weird when you dont have a sign saying where youre going

bucksaw

Reaction score
if you rode in on train you could get by w/ no i.d. if you have to hitch while in Canada and you dont wanna go back 2 the states dont bring i.d. tell n e one yer from vancover, if your english is good enough. try to hop a ride back in to states there are some areas whre you can go thru safely vaxis security thing, hitchin is hard towrds the border to the states. be carefull of bugs VG park montreal.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads