News & Blogs HitchBot is back - this time crossing USA (1 Viewer)

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Current Location
Brighton, United Kingdom
This time the robot is hitching across America. You can follow the little fellas progress at the hitchbot website.

http://www.hitchbot.me/

cjpyg2ixaaatgev-jpg.24198_HitchBot is back - this time crossing USA_Hitchhiking_Squat the Planet_7:47 AM

I am hitchBOT — a robot from Port Credit, Ontario.

Last summer I hitchhiked across Canada from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Victoria, British Columbia. In just 26 days I hitched a total of 19 rides and travelled over 10,000 kilometers. Since then, I visited Germany to explore cities like Munich, Cologne, Berlin, and Hamburg. I also took a vacation to the Netherlands to see some of Twente’s most notable arts and culture locations.

On July 17, 2015, I am shining my wellies to start my hitchhiking adventure across the USA. My journey begins at the Peabody Essex Museum (PEM) in Salem, Massachusetts. From there, I hope to complete items from my hitchhiking bucket list with the help of strangers. My final destination is the Exploratorium in San Francisco, California. Only time will tell how long my journey will take me. I cannot wait to make new friends along the way.

Stay tuned about my travels by connecting with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

– hitchBOT

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Art101

Wanderer
Current Location
Cheyenne WY
I am sad to report the demise of HitchBot in Philly.
Home

Oh dear, my body was damaged, but I live on back home and with all my friends. I guess sometimes bad things happen to good robots! My trip must come to an end for now, but my love for humans will never fade. Thank you to all my friends.

A message from the family:

hitchBOT’s trip came to an end last night in Philadelphia after having spent a little over two weeks hitchhiking and visiting sites in Boston, Salem, Gloucester, Marblehead, and New York City. Unfortunately, hitchBOT was vandalized overnight in Philadelphia; sometimes bad things happen to good robots. We know that many of hitchBOT’s fans will be disappointed, but we want them to be assured that this great experiment is not over. For now we will focus on the question “what can be learned from this?” and explore future adventures for robots and humans.

We have no interest in pressing charges or finding the people who vandalized hitchBOT; we wish to remember the good times, and we encourage hitchBOT’s friends and fans to do the same.

HitchBOT’s family will be available for interviews starting Sunday, August 2nd, further details will be available by August 5th.

For interview requests, please contact:
Johanna VanderMaas
Public Affairs
Communications, Government and Community Engagement | Ryerson University
416.979.5000 x 4630

• hBUSA_Tees_Small.png
  • LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Sock Monkey Queen
Current Location
Port Richey Florida
Website
www.thebohemiancelt.com
I am sad to report the demise of HitchBot in Philly.
Home

Oh dear, my body was damaged, but I live on back home and with all my friends. I guess sometimes bad things happen to good robots! My trip must come to an end for now, but my love for humans will never fade. Thank you to all my friends.

A message from the family:

hitchBOT’s trip came to an end last night in Philadelphia after having spent a little over two weeks hitchhiking and visiting sites in Boston, Salem, Gloucester, Marblehead, and New York City. Unfortunately, hitchBOT was vandalized overnight in Philadelphia; sometimes bad things happen to good robots. We know that many of hitchBOT’s fans will be disappointed, but we want them to be assured that this great experiment is not over. For now we will focus on the question “what can be learned from this?” and explore future adventures for robots and humans.

We have no interest in pressing charges or finding the people who vandalized hitchBOT; we wish to remember the good times, and we encourage hitchBOT’s friends and fans to do the same.

HitchBOT’s family will be available for interviews starting Sunday, August 2nd, further details will be available by August 5th.

For interview requests, please contact:
Johanna VanderMaas
Public Affairs
Communications, Government and Community Engagement | Ryerson University
416.979.5000 x 4630

I really hope that Sam doesn't meet the same fate.

Unlike the Hitchbot folks, I'm not a scientist, Sam wasn't "built" and a good knife or scissors will do him in.

I'm really hoping the assholes who destroyed HB won't ever come across Sam.

[emoji15]

Last edited by a moderator:

Art101

Wanderer
Current Location
Cheyenne WY
Good news..Philly company is offering to rebuild hitchbot.They have most of the parts in house and seem excited to do it for free to keep it moving along.

milkhauler

Pilgrim
That thing went all over Europe safely and was destroyed soon after arriving in the US? What a fckn shame the US has become.

I can't even street vend in major cities, due to the inevitable robbery I would face. Fuck tweekers and scumbags for shitting all over this country. I'm stuck doing something I hate for a safer living. [emoji53]
It still is a living though.[emoji41]

Sent From The Future

Last edited:

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Sock Monkey Queen
Current Location
Port Richey Florida
Website
www.thebohemiancelt.com
Ha ha! If I thought I could get away with it, I'd so, do whatever I could to get to Thailand.

My dream is to live there.

But...I couldn't even skip class in High School...so I doubt this kind of coup could go any way, but disastrous for me.

[emoji14]

Last edited by a moderator:

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Current Location
Iron City
Website
www.paynepress.com
That thing went all over Europe safely and was destroyed soon after arriving in the US? What a fckn shame the US has become.

I can't even street vend in major cities, due to the inevitable robbery I would face. Fuck tweekers and scumbags for shitting all over this country. I'm stuck doing something I hate for a safer living. [emoji53]
It still is a living though.[emoji41]

Sent From The Future
Have you ever actually been robbed while street vending? Seriously?

Wawa

Wanderer
Current Location
Hurst, United States
Website
www.etsy.com
Wondering about this street vending thing... Did it all over the place for years, and this sure never happened. Now and then local police or city people would trouble me, and once a local got all wigged out. Never even had anything stolen, or if I did I never noticed.

Tatanka

Rambler
Current Location
Potter County PA
I've been wanting to start street vending some of my stuff. Wawa or Leadbelly how feasible is it with police? I imagine less shit upon than a sign?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $110.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Fever in the funk house now
Fever in the funkhouse now
nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?
I regret to announce that I will no longer be associating myself with squat the planet due to a very deep and nuanced personal disagreement and subsequent disrespect. If you would like to get the full story, feel free to contact me directly. I will still be hosting this year's annual party as i have for the past four years.
Happy :) 8 more days till my babe is out <3
2800 k this past week or so on teh vespa!ODIN give me a medal !
Scooped up some dirty kids from the USA at walmart. Glad we caught ya's and had some time to party before you headed out. Safe travels Sasha and Meaghan! You're fucking awesome!
Lovely, and greasy... duh