Featured - HitchBOT destroyed in Philadelphia, ending U.S. tour | Squat the Planet

Featured HitchBOT destroyed in Philadelphia, ending U.S. tour

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/h...hiladelphia-ending-u-s-tour-1.3177098?cmp=rss

HitchBOT destroyed in Philadelphia, ending U.S. tour
Researchers say Canadian-made hitchhiking robot ruined beyond repair
The Associated Press Posted: Aug 01, 2015 8:54 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 01, 2015 8:54 PM ET

hitchbot-victoria-or-bust.jpg

The anthropomorphic robot named hitchBOT, seen here during its cross-Canada trek in 2014, was destroyed on Saturday, two weeks into its attempted trip across the U.S., according to its creators. (Paul Darrow/Reuters)

The hitch-hiking robot that captured the hearts of fans worldwide met its demise in the U.S. The Canadian researchers who created hitchBOT as a social experiment say someone in Philadelphia damaged the robot beyond repair on Saturday, ending its brief American tour.

The robot was trying to travel cross-country after successfully hitchhiking across Canada last year and parts of Europe. It set out from Marblehead, Massachusetts, two weeks ago in July with the goal of reaching San Francisco, but never made it off the East Coast.

The creators were sent an image of the vandalized robot but cannot track its location because the battery is dead.

They say they don't know who destroyed it or why. But co-creator Frauke Zeller says many children who adored the robot are now heartbroken.

Psylock1045

Reaction score
#Murica

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
What the hell... ::eek:ldman::

I mean seriously? Fukn Dumb Ass People.::bored::

I got an excerpt here from the "parts of europe link", linked in your article... um from it's creator.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...an-adventure-with-souvenirs-stories-1.2992755

THIS
He hoped the project would spark introspection about how society works: "What kind of people are we? Are we kind? Do we live in a safe world, you know for the most part? What are the possibilities for these kind of artificial agents in the future?
THIS

I can see this coloring peoples opinion of the US. At least for the scientists/researchers in Canada who ran the experiment.

@wizehop let me extend my apologies to Canada. On behalf of the US population I am sorry Canada. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

I mean...
Just dammit.::facepalm::

Last edited:

Psylock1045

Reaction score
Despite my attempt at humor above, this is actually exactly what pisses me off about people. The reason I both hate and fear nearly every person I encounter. There is pure, selfish evil in the human race.

Psylock1045

Reaction score
One could technically call me a racist...I despise the HUMAN race.

Reactions: milkhauler

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
This is exactly what I fear will happen to Sam on his journey.

But...being as some people are pieces of shit, you take that chance.

Waiting for the rain to subside here, before Sam can start his journey.

Will keep y'all posted.

Reactions: Kal

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Well that's legitimately disappointing though I believe their social experiment was a success. It definitely goes to show what kind of people there are in this country. Bunch of destructive asshats...

Reactions: Parker Free and Ras
D

Deleted member 13433

Search and Destroy..... that's what Americans do..... search and destroy.

I heard about this first thing this morning and I'm getting madder and madder as the temperture goes up.

No, I hope they don't send another one here, what for - so it can be also destroyed like this one??

Fucking assholes.........................

If pictures were sent they should be able to track down who killed the robot.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Search and Destroy..... that's what Americans do..... search and destroy.

Please don't generalize in that way. We don't know what happened. And IMHO it has nothing to do with "Americans" or "Canadians" or whatever. It only needs one single fucking asshole to do that. And assholes can be found in any country of this planet.

Kal

Reaction score
Some people just have no respect. I wish I could talk to the people who did this just to find out what there problem is. I hope this doesn't happen to sock monkey.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Some people just have no respect. I wish I could talk to the people who did this just to find out what there problem is. I hope this doesn't happen to sock monkey.
Me too, Kal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kal

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Please don't generalize in that way. We don't know what happened. And IMHO it has nothing to do with "Americans" or "Canadians" or whatever. It only needs one single fucking asshole to do that. And assholes can be found in any country of this planet.

it definitely *is* americans though. i mean the damn thing made i across canada and europe and the minute it gets here it gets destroyed (after two weeks of going almost nowhere). i think that says a lot about american society.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads