Hi y'all. New to the nomad life | Squat the Planet

Hi y'all. New to the nomad life

RiverWulf

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey y'all, I'm RiverWulf, currently hitching and backpacking across the country, touring National Parks, Monuments, and Forests and making vids. Just getting started, and had this site recommended to me by someone I met and it's a great resource so far, thanks. Finished up the Grand Canyon, and cooling my heels in the Coconino near Flagstaff before I head to Canyon of the Ancients near Cortez, CO. Looking forward to chatting and getting to know y'all!

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey man, welcome to StP. Just wanted to let you know I'm from flagstaff, and I've spent years in the four corners, mostly working in national parks, so if you need some advice, let me know.

Just for your 411 the Canyons of the ancients monument is very difficult to access via hitchhiking. Mostly on farming access roads. Not much actual park to see, but alot of awesome ruins.

I would personally rather hit Canyonlands or Mesa Verde. But that's up to you.

Cortez and Durango are cool towns.

Good luck! Where are you coming from?

Reactions: Minky

RiverWulf

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey man, welcome to StP. Just wanted to let you know I'm from flagstaff, and I've spent years in the four corners, mostly working in national parks, so if you need some advice, let me know.

Just for your 411 the Canyons of the ancients monument is very difficult to access via hitchhiking. Mostly on farming access roads. Not much actual park to see, but alot of awesome ruins.

I would personally rather hit Canyonlands or Mesa Verde. But that's up to you.

Cortez and Durango are cool towns.

Good luck! Where are you coming from?

Hey! Yeah, from my maps it looks like i'll have a 3ish day hike from Cortez to areas with water sources. Are those rivers/streams i see flowing this time of year? That's one of the things I still needed to check on in Cortez when I get there. Cuz if they aren't, obviously I won't be going in afterall.

The ruins, and the no entrance fee, are the reasons I chose there over Mesa Verde. I'm just about broke till the first week of July, when I'll be able to get my America the Beautiful pass, and a bear can, as after CO I'm heading to the Tetons and Yellowstone. Any money making opportunities in the Cortez area?

And how's that fire in the San Juans? Looks like it has potential to be pretty bad? Feeling bad for my friends on the CDT who are figuring out their detours. Thanks for the tips and any other advice you can give!

And I've bounced around alot the last few years between the Sun Coast of FL and the Olympic Peninsula in WA. Born in PA, grew up in DE.

Last edited:

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey! Yeah, from my maps it looks like i'll have a 3ish day hike from Cortez to areas with water sources. Are those rivers/streams i see flowing this time of year? That's one of the things I still needed to check on in Cortez when I get there. Cuz if they aren't, obviously I won't be going in afterall.

The ruins, and the no entrance fee, are the reasons I chose there over Mesa Verde. I'm just about broke till the first week of July, when I'll be able to get my America the Beautiful pass, and a bear can, as after CO I'm heading to the Tetons and Yellowstone. Any money making opportunities in the Cortez area?

And how's that fire in the San Juans? Looks like it has potential to be pretty bad? Feeling bad for my friends on the CDT who are figuring out their detours. Thanks for the tips and any other advice you can give!

And I've bounced around alot the last few years between the Sun Coast of FL and the Olympic Peninsula in WA. Born in PA, grew up in DE.

There are water sources around that area, but most of those blue lines you see are dry creeks.

Definitely stock up on water in Cortez. It's hot out here.

Cortez has day labor, and you could fly a sign at the Wal-Mart. Might be able to get a farm job. Lots of farms around there.

This fire is pretty bad. They closed the entire San Juan national forest. The CDT and the Colorado Trail are closed in the southern end of the state.

Reactions: RiverWulf

RiverWulf

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
There are water sources around that area, but most of those blue lines you see are dry creeks.

Definitely stock up on water in Cortez. It's hot out here.

Cortez has day labor, and you could fly a sign at the Wal-Mart. Might be able to get a farm job. Lots of farms around there.

This fire is pretty bad. They closed the entire San Juan national forest. The CDT and the Colorado Trail are closed in the southern end of the state.

Awesome! Dude I can tell you're one of those awesome rangers I talked about in another thread. Really appreciate all your insight!

Reactions: Coywolf

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
Great information coywolf, very useful.

Mesa Verde is awesome.

I once made a southwest tour starting at mesa Verde, then travelling through Chaco canyon, New mexico, the ruins at both sites are amazing, and both times I was able to camp very near to them. After the ruins I headed to Canyon de Chelly, Arizona on the Navajo reservation to plant peach trees. While I was at the canyon to plant peace trees, I was also able to participate in a peyote ceremony, it was amazing. One of my more fondly remembered journeys.

That trip was during a point in my life where I was taking a good deal of time to work on myself, I was exploring my spirituality, spending a good deal of time alone in nature as well as visiting ancient ruins and sacred locations, and consuming psychedelics throughout the entire venture. It truly was a unique experience, and far more meaningful than than my adventures where I would spend the majority of my time in the city.

Its an amazing area to travel through. Good luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads