Hey stp! meet this douchebag: the mastercard vagabond

Tomislav

Reaction score
Tomislav, you have such beautiful excuses and marketing skills to cover up all of the holes in your story, along with elaborate explanations of being forced to choose the lesser evils (Mastercard).

Well done. Well, fucking, done. I applaud.

Thank you :)

However, while you claim to be giving honest speeches and writing unbiased blog stories to "inform" travelers of how to travel the world, you are actually just teaching people how to become media whores, sell-outs, and greedy profiteers.

But hey, that's not my opinion, thats EXACTLY what you teach people, step-by-step, on your "Mastercard Blog".

Yes, I teach people how to get media attention, AND I tell them how to travel the world with almost no money. Deal with it, man.

First of all, real travelers don't treat their adventures as a "sellable product". That's the way greedy yuppies think, NOT vagabonds or backpackers. Our travels and experiences aren't products that we intended on selling to the right "market". It's our life, and we don't expect to get paid from it.

I never claimed to be a REAL traveler, you made that one up. If you don't wish to "sell your experiences to the market" - thats a simple one - don't. But don't go around whining like a little girl because someone else tries to make a living from their travel-related-writings. Because thats what you have been doing for the past days.

All the while, we blister our hands on farms, bust our ass dishwashing and digging ditches, panhandling during dire times, only for a bunch of spoiled-ass Mastercard-sponsored travelers to reap all of the attention, money, and recognition of our lifestyle? Think again, Mr. Mastercard.

Oh, thats whats bothering you? The attention, money and recognition? You should've said that in the first place.

Sorry I stole it all from you, but thats life dude. Like people in Bangladesh are working for $37 a month, and they think you are a whiner when complaining by earning that much in couple of hours. Some people earn money in one way, some in other.

Look dude, if you're going to sell your soul and turn your travels into a "marketable product", that's fine with me as long as you keep it to yourself.

Let me have a wild guess - you never studied marketing? "Thats fine as long as I keep it to myself?" LOL

You think I want to walk through town in 10 years from now, and suddenlly have people assume:

"oh, that dudes probably not a real vagabond, he is probably sponsored by Mastercard...i saw it on a dudes blog, its all fake these days"....

OR

"oh don't pick up that hitchhiker honey, most of them are sponsored by Monstanto or BP and I don't agree with that..besides they probably have money for a taxi"...

To tell you the truth, I doubt that you want that.

Same like I don't want drivers not picking me up because last hitchhikers they picked up were filthy and smelly. But I won't go around preaching how travelers should take care of their hygiene. Same as I don't want people to think that all travelers snort coke (like you brag about it HERE), but I won't go around telling people they should stop snorting coke because it reflects negatively on me as a traveler.

You have a huge ego issue - you wish people see you on the street and recognise you as a real traveler. Real traveler shouldnt give a shit.

You don't teach people how to travel as a low-budget traveler. You teach people how to travel as a capitalistic leech that has found a unique forumla to making money from our lifestyle, thus ruining the integrity of all other travelers.

You're not a traveler. You're a profiteer. Furthermore, you are a BRAND, and your blog, speeches, pictures, and stories are just a "product" of this "brand" you have skillfully created for the sole purpose of monetizing OUR lifestyle.

That's your "story", and it's a story sponsored by Mastercard corporation.

See you are mistaking again - I can be both, a traveler and a guy who earns money from its travels. I understand you don't agree, but oh well. I can't help you there. And I'm not monetizing YOUR lifestyle, I'm monetizing MY lifestyle. You and I don't belong to the same group.

I am a traveler that is okay with making money from my travels. You are not. And you are not welcome in my subculture! :p

Reactions: Dmac

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ok. So, I've been watching this thing unfold since it was first posted on here. There are things that have been posted by both sides that I agree with, and things by both sides that I disagree with.

Personally, my biggest problem is this: @Tomislav , with the format of your talks, blog, book, etc., I feel that you are marketing a glorified and highly romanticized ideal that closely IMITATES our lifestyle, and you're putting it out in front of the faces of young, idealistic KIDS who don't even know how to get across their own town without their GPS navigation-enabled smartphone, much less survive on their own WITHOUT daddy's credit card. They have no real skills, and in my opinion, most of them are pretty damn stupid. However, they see your blog, watch your Ted talk stuff online, and maybe read your book, and think "oh, that looks like fun, and is not any harder than my life is right now!", and they go and try it, and end up getting addicted to drugs or alcohol, or even get themselves killed because of common stupidity. They think those things because you make it look SO easy to do, and I'm pretty certain that you don't highlight the "rougher" parts of our lifestyle; like the fact that most of us have criminal records, for things as simple as trying to get some sleep in a place that happens to be public, or the fact that inevitability, all of us will end up having to fight someone in order to defend ourselves.

While you were traveling, how many times did you get mugged, robbed, beat up, or your gear stolen?

How many times did you go to jail for sleeping in the wrong place at the wrong time?

I remember that you yourself mentioned that one of your sponsors paid for travel insurance for you during one of the legs of your travels. Do you know who pays MY travel insurance?
No one, because I don't have any. In fact, if I were to get hurt or injured, the best thing I could do would be to go to a Veteran's hospital, and the only reason I even have that option is because I put my life on the line and risked dying to serve this country at one point. Most of us aren't that fortunate.

If you had gotten injured during your travels, would Mastercard have paid the bill while you were laid up for however long, or would they have dropped their sponsorship and left you to rot?

Some young, stupid kid is going to try a trek like yours and get killed or severely injured. Will Mastercard take care of them?
How will you feel when you get the news of this, that some kid who should've stayed home is now dead or disfigured because of how easy you made it all look, or do you not care?

I belive you when you say that the sponsorship money went to paying off your debt, but wasn't it YOU that got your own self INTO that debt in the first place?

Hobo Huck

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
@Viking_Adventurer

He's a corporate backpacker, and he'll never realize what it's like actually like living on the road with "little or no money".

However, he will reap a shitload of money from pretending to know, and then further profit by spreading his bullshit to a bunch of wanderlusting hipsters.

He's about as deep as an infomercial or a billboard, when it comes to the real world of backpacking, hitchhiking, and being an overall vagabond.

Unfortunately, I fear that his type is the NEXT generation of vagabonds, and that's what I'm deeply concerned about.

As if scumfucks and crusty meth addicts weren't bad enough for our subculture, now we have to deal with the opposite end of the spectrum: corporate sponsored "backpackers".

One way or another, it seems that real hobos and real vagabonds are becoming an endangered species, decade by decade.

I know that alot of travelers really need this lifestyle as a means of real freedom and seeking a better path in life. That's why I care.

Yet, within a few decades from now, I'm not sure that path will even exist unless it's sponsored by Mastercard or Monsanto or REI.

It's funny, because I once thought that idea was "extreme" when I heard it from other travelers and bloggers, and I often scoffed at it. Corporate backpackers, are you serious? That's an actual "THING"?

It's actually happening thanks to people like Tomislav Perko. And worse, this trend is GROWING, thanks once again, to people like Tomislav Perko, who spread this bullshit to other future so-called "travelers".

Last edited:

Tomislav

Reaction score
Ok. So, I've been watching this thing unfold since it was first posted on here. There are things that have been posted by both sides that I agree with, and things by both sides that I disagree with.

Personally, my biggest problem is this: with the format of your talks, blog, book, etc., I feel that you are marketing a glorified and highly romanticized ideal that closely IMITATES our lifestyle, and you're putting it out in front of the faces of young, idealistic KIDS who don't even know how to get across their own town without their GPS navigation-enabled smartphone, much less survive on their own WITHOUT daddy's credit card. They have no real skills, and in my opinion, most of them are pretty damn stupid. However, they see your blog, watch your Ted talk stuff online, and maybe read your book, and think "oh, that looks like fun, and is not any harder than my life is right now!", and they go and try it, and end up getting addicted to drugs or alcohol, or even get themselves killed because of common stupidity. They think those things because you make it look SO easy to do, and I'm pretty certain that you don't highlight the "rougher" parts of our lifestyle; like the fact that most of us have criminal records, for things as simple as trying to get some sleep in a place that happens to be public, or the fact that inevitability, all of us will end up having to fight someone in order to defend ourselves.

While you were traveling, how many times did you get mugged, robbed, beat up, or your gear stolen?

How many times did you go to jail for sleeping in the wrong place at the wrong time?

I remember that you yourself mentioned that one of your sponsors paid for travel insurance for you during one of the legs of your travels. Do you know who pays MY travel insurance?
No one, because I don't have any. In fact, if I were to get hurt or injured, the best thing I could do would be to go to a Veteran's hospital, and the only reason I even have that option is because I put my life on the line and risked dying to serve this country at one point. Most of us aren't that fortunate.

If you had gotten injured during your travels, would Mastercard have paid the bill while you were laid up for however long, or would they have dropped their sponsorship and left you to rot?

Some young, stupid kid is going to try a trek like yours and get killed or severely injured. Will Mastercard take care of them?
How will you feel when you get the news of this, that some kid who should've stayed home is now dead or disfigured because of how easy you made it all look, or do you not care?

I belive you when you say that the sponsorship money went to paying off your debt, but wasn't it YOU that got your own self INTO that debt in the first place?

You make few valid points here, so let me try to address them.

1. If you watch my TEDx talk, at the end I say - "traveling is not the best thing in the world. You will be sick, you will be alone, you will be hungry, you will be homesick." I tell my stories like they happened to me. Thats all. Will someone follow "my" steps and try something similar? Sure they will. A lot of people told me they already have. Will I feel responsible if something happens to them? Not really. Like I don't feel proud when someone tells me they started traveling because of my stories and that changed their life. I just try to tell everything I've been to, with their ups and downs. I really try not to tell fairy tales.

2. Mugged = 0 times, robbed = 0 times, beat up = 0 times, gear stolen = once, in Peru (laptop and camera), ended up in jail = 0 times.

3. As far travel insurance is concerned, I always tell people to get it. If they can afford it, of course. If they cannot, its up to them to decide are they willing to risk it. Again, I write about times I have been sick, stitched my head in India, got my tooth pulled out in Thailand, etc.

4. Yes, I got myself into this debt, and I got myself out of this debt - by writing about my travels and getting paid for that.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just out of curiosity, when your laptop & camera got stolen, what did you do about it?

Keep in mind that I personally have nothing against you as a person; hell, I've never even met you. Obviously you've kept your own best interests in mind. I can understand why some in this lifestyle would disapprove of how you went about it, but that's natural, as you're from a different "class" if you will, from the rest of us.

However, I can also understand why you did things the way you did them. Or, at least I'm trying to. I try to keep an open mind, especially regarding people.

Remember that the majority of the folks on here are not fond of capitalism, the government, and a number of other things, and a good portion are also involved in activism regarding their particular beliefs.

Reactions: Durp and Dmac

Tomislav

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, when your laptop & camera got stolen, what did you do about it?

Keep in mind that I personally have nothing against you as a person; hell, I've never even met you. Obviously you've kept your own best interests in mind. I can understand why some in this lifestyle would disapprove of how you went about it, but that's natural, as you're from a different "class" if you will, from the rest of us.

However, I can also understand why you did things the way you did them. Or, at least I'm trying to. I try to keep an open mind, especially regarding people.

Remember that the majority of the folks on here are not fond of capitalism, the government, and a number of other things, and a good portion are also involved in activism regarding their particular beliefs.

When my camera and laptop got stolen, I bought second hand camera and second hand laptop and kept my budget at minimum for the next couple of months. I spent 5 months in a fishing village in Ecuador and wrote my book.

I appreciate you not judging me, if everyone else behaved like that, we wouldn't have to go through all this nonsense. I also understand that majority of people here are not fond of "my way" of traveling, but I'm perfectly okay with that. As they are probably okay that I find some of their ways a bit too extreme. Thats perfectly okay - we are different and we shouldnt go judging people because of that.

I didn't come here to sell my book, to link my TEDx talk or to promote a company I work(ed) for. I just came here to explain all the lies other people wrote about me.

Bottom line - you guys know better than me what means when people judge you and your choices. You are faced with that probably on a daily basis. And I'm sure you think most of the time - this person doesn't know me, why is he judging me? And from that mindset, some of you turn around and probably want to have their revenge so they do the same thing - judge people that are not following a path they think its right.

You tell me, is that right?

I don't need anyones approval for the choices I've done in my life. If you dont like my choices, I repeat, thats okay. But running around and writing all over internet about "debunking" this "douchebag" with information available to anyone with internet connection and IQ bigger than 50...is that what real travelers life is all about?

Kal

Reaction score
I see you read my blog.

Spread the word, people! Let the world know! :D

BTW, I really like this last sentence in the quote - "" :p

Why did you erase that post? Because nobody replied and wasnt interested?

Oh lord. So you are saying that everyone that doesnt travel with trains, on foot or by van - sucks? Seriously?

Can you please elaborate on what stealing and lying are you referring to? Thanks.

I agree with this "observe your mind". All of us should.

Btw, do you know where the money from Osprey or Marmot is going to? Or is it just that they are not a big international corporation and that makes them okay?
I don't care how he travels but the lying and stealing is why he sucks. Don't know about you but I spend most of my time being broke so I try to find work and I don't have to lie and steal to travel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I could see Steele Reserve 211 or GPC Tobacco sponsoring some crusties...that would be interesting to see.
Set em up, get some video footage of them trashed while their dogs fight under a bridge in the rain... cue to announcer "You only wish you where this fucking traincore!" Play it it during the superbowl. PROFIT!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Wawa I think you've got a bright future in advertising. Copy.

Hobo Huck

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Set em up, get some video footage of them trashed while their dogs fight under a bridge in the rain... cue to announcer "You only wish you where this fucking traincore!" Play it it during the superbowl. PROFIT!

Marketing gold. If you ever decided to sell-out like others, you'd have a pretty bright future in ad-marketing.

Durp

Reaction score
Can we just all agree the yuppies should all just move to Ireland or an off shore "floating civilization" and leave the rest of us alone :) hahaha because of yuppies places are paving and ruining nature trails and charging $10 to be allowed to go hiking around where I'm posted up now. They ruin all the good stuff, than charge a bunch of money for a cheap imitation. ...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads