Hey stp! meet this douchebag: the mastercard vagabond

Tomislav

Reaction score
again, I don't know you, I just hope you use some of your new found funds to make a positive impact in the community. Good ways of doing this would be to donate a large percentage of your profits to some form of travelers resource like food banks, soup kitchens, loads of socks ect. You have the right to be your own person, just anything linked to such financial treachery raises a few eyebrows in radical comunities. Most of us do what we do to stand up against everything the financial system represents.

That is also one issue - before I had the chance to defend and explain myself, I was called out. Just check the title of this topic.

You know, I did donate ALL of my profits - to my family who needs it, and to few NGO's and few travelers making their own story. But no one cares about that, and I dont want to go around and brag how noble I am. The bottom line - creator of this topic doesnt care about my part of the story (which you can see because he banned me from reddit post he moderates) - the only purpose of all this is to discredit me because someone doesnt like that I was sponsored and succeeded in making a successful book/blog/whatever.

Tell me, is that righteous?

Tomislav

Reaction score
Maybe try asking yourself why an entire community would be targeting you. You clearly have just as much an ego as the rest of us if you're coming to our site specifically to justify yourself. If you believe in your own convictions so strongly what does any of our opinion matter?

Why? Maybe because I was attacked on Reddit, YT, my blog, and here. And I like when people have their chance to tell their part of the story.

When it comes to coming here, its a lose-lose situation - if I didnt show up you would be like "oh, he didnt have the courage to show up here, where the true travelers are", and when I do show up and make some valid points, I have a big ego, and your opinion doenst matter.

Seriously?

Durp

Reaction score
Well, the internet is reactionary, I'm human and have ego issues as well. I can't judge you and apologise for my rude comments. Hopefully you bring more good than ilk to the community at large (not just stp.) I'm sure you are aware how easy it is to get swept up in internet hystaria. In a former life I worked for a marketing firm and every day I try and atone for those mistakes I made before I was of evan legal drinking age.

Tomislav

Reaction score
Well, the internet is reactionary, I'm human and have ego issues as well. I can't judge you and apologise for my rude comments. Hopefully you bring more good than ilk to the community at large (not just stp.) I'm sure you are aware how easy it is to get swept up in internet hystaria. In a former life I worked for a marketing firm and every day I try and atone for those mistakes I made before I was of evan legal drinking age.

We all have issues.

My point is that we can learn from one another, and we shouldnt use the time to argue. I never discredited what other travelers are doing and how they are traveling. Or if I did, it was long time ago, when I was a newbie hitchhiker, and trying to tell everyone how my way is the best there is.

If someone has a problem with me earning money on behalf of my travel writing, its their right. But thats not, in my opinion, what travelers should focus on - discrediting other people. Everyone has their own ways, and thats good. If everybody was a hitchhiker, who would have picked us up?

Reactions: Odin

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
We all have issues.

My point is that we can learn from one another, and we shouldnt use the time to argue. I never discredited what other travelers are doing and how they are traveling. Or if I did, it was long time ago, when I was a newbie hitchhiker, and trying to tell everyone how my way is the best there is.

If someone has a problem with me earning money on behalf of my travel writing, its their right. But thats not, in my opinion, what travelers should focus on - discrediting other people. Everyone has their own ways, and thats good. If everybody was a hitchhiker, who would have picked us up?
I'm curious if you tell the people who host/feed you in these 3rd world countries - do you tell them you get sponsored by a credit card company and paid X amount of dollars per month? How do they feel about it? and also...if you dumpster dive, how do you ever think that maybe you are taking resources away from those who really need it, people who really don't have an income or means to procure food?

Reactions: Leap, Odin and Durp

Tomislav

Reaction score
I'm curious if you tell the people who host/feed you in these 3rd world countries - do you tell them you get sponsored by a credit card company and paid X amount of dollars per month? How do they feel about it?

To some I did tell, to some I didnt. They generally love the idea that someone can do what they like and be paid for it.

And to be clear, I dont show up in someones home expecting to be fed. People who hosted me are kind human beings who choose to do that. Sometimes they cook for me, sometimes I cook for them, sometimes we cook together. Its an exchange.

Like it was an exchange when I hosted 100-150 people in my apartment before I started traveling.

Hobo Huck

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Tomislav, you are in this life lifestyle for ONE purpose: $$$.

That's how it started, that's how it continued to evolve, and that's exactly what it still is to this day: Escapism and Profiteering at every corner/angle you can find it.

When you put on that Mastercard shirt, and then later decided to give grandiose speeches, you became a sell-out, a hypocrite, and a walking contradiction.

You started traveling with a monetized blog. You then got your blog and your soul sponsored by Mastercard. You then asked for several thousand dollars just to write a book, so that you can sell that also make even more money. Now you give a TEDx speech in which you trick a gullible audience into thinking he did all of this traveling on 10 dollars a day.

If it was up to you Tomislav, this would be the future of our lifestyle:

7oeyfpM.jpg

Last edited:
K

Kim Chee

@Tomislav, I used to be a corporate guy before hitting the road. On the other hand, I also spent my first three years on the road with only the clothes on my back, a paper bag with hygiene articals and absolutely no money while eating whatever trash I could find. I can say that I know what it feels like to live on the plush as well as what it is like to use a rock for a pillow.

Anyway, I can see where you're coming from (I think). If you can be so kind as to be especially considerate to those who happen to be less fortunate, I think that would be mighty awesome of you.

Happy travels.

Tomislav

Reaction score
Tomislav is in this life lifestyle for ONE purpose: $$$

He started traveling with a monetized blog.

Its not nice to mislead people, you know? For your information, I started traveling in May 2009, and got my MC deal in Dec 2010.

You can confirm my story here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.125253384168439.18723.123615887665522&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.125276164166161.18728.123615887665522&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.125450567482054.18807.123615887665522&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.128477527179358.19702.123615887665522&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.136028466424264.22058.123615887665522&type=3

Any comments on that or you will just continue with argument-less accusations?

Tomislav

Reaction score
@Tomislav, I used to be a corporate corporate guy before hitting the road. On the other hand, I also spent my first three years on the road with only the clothes on my back, a paper bag with hygiene articals and absolutely no money while eating whatever trash I could find. I can say that I know what it feels like to live on the plush as well as what it is like to use a rock for a pillow.

Anyway, I can see where you're coming from (I think). If you can be so kind as to be especially considerate to those who happen to be less fortunate, I think that would be mighty awesome of you.

Happy travels.

I am considerate to everyone, that is the point here. I'm not the attacker in this story. Show me one (1) example of me being inconsiderate to the less fortunate, that would be mighty awesome of you :)

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Okay, got to argue about the "dumpster diving taking resources away from others" thing. Most trash gets THROWN AWAY. Unless I'm at the most popular fucking dumpster on the planet, I'll eat trash with $500 in my pocket because its a good free meal and chances are it'll spoil or get hauled away, or someone will dump toilet paper and coffee grounds on top of otherwise.

Tomislav

Reaction score
and also...if you dumpster dive, how do you ever think that maybe you are taking resources away from those who really need it, people who really don't have an income or means to procure food?

Yeah, when I go to supermarket bins I have guilty conscience that I am stealing it from all the people standing in line.

Face. Palm.

• Haha
Reactions: watson

Hobo Huck

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
If you really want to change your initial impression with this community make a large contribution to food not bombs.

Or he could just stop being paid by a corrupt financial institution. He even admitted earlier that Mastercard is an evil corporation, and then he goes on to say that he has no regrets working for them.

I can understand someone that is working in an office and they are stuck working for a corrupt corporation that they know is corrupt. Hey, ya gotta feed the kids, it becomes a total trap. That's something that we can all sympathize with or understand.

But Tomislav has a CHOICE, yet he has no regret choosing a completely corrupt corporation as a sponsor. Why? Because it isn't about the lifestyle for him, its about building his traveling resume for further profits and more shit that he can sell. More speeches...more books...more sponsors...where does it end exactly? When he becomes the Nascar equivalent of a backpacker?

I understand he did this sponsorship to pay off his debts, and thats notable. Kudos. But he could have just done what other vagabonds and backpackers do. We don't get sponsored by capitalist conglomerates, we go out and bust our ass on farms, jobs in Alaska, working in forests, and we earn the money ourselves.

If he would just get off the stage and quit lying to people and convincing them that anyone can go live on the road and get a corporate sponsor, I'd personally have no problem with him at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durp and Odin

Tomislav

Reaction score
If he would just get off the stage and quit lying to people and convincing them that anyone can go live on the road and get a corporate sponsor, I'd personally have no problem with him at all.

I think you would have a problem with me no matter what I do or say, as you prove it with every unanswered message here and/or reddit where you banned me, saying that that place is for real travelers only. And telling me to come here, why? Because this is place where unreal travelers can come? Or you are expecting people will start throwing stones and spitting on me like you do?

Once again - I never lied to people and convinced them that anyone can get a corporate sponsor, you again with misleading people, shame on you! :p

I do tell people that they can live on the road and travel with almost no money. Without having a sponsor, like I said many many times. But you dont seem to hear and understand that. No idea why.

Hobo Huck

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
I mentioned you here because you deserved to be exposed to a community of real travelers, not just Redditors. That's fairly simple to understand, and this is the THIRD time I have explained it to you.

Tomislav, you were banned from r/Vagabond because you accused hitchhikers and backpackers that own cell phones of contributing to civil wars in Africa. That was a ridiculous and outlandish leap, and it was a bogus attempt to claim that vagabonds with cell phonesare just as corrupt as a traveler that gets sponsored by Mastercard.

I'm sorry, but that a pile of bullshit. Vagabonds with cell phones aren't fucking up Africa, and having a cell phone is nowhere near a fair example to wearing a Mastercard shirt. You may try to stretch and embellish that analogy as much as you, and I'm sure it will sound fine and dandy, but its really just a pretty pile of shit.

Theres alot of things I dislike about you, and many things I do like about you. But you have a CHOICE for working for a shitty sponsoring corporation, and your TEDx speech is just a way for you to market your products and mislead a naive audience.

Profit Profit Profit. That's all you are about. And if it wasn't for that, I'd have no problem with you. Hell, I'd even forgive if you just manned up and told Mastercard to fuck off.

ou6R5Yi.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Durp and Odin

Tomislav

Reaction score
Tomislav, you were banned from r/Vagabond because you accused hitchhikers and backpackers that own cell phones of contributing to civil wars in Africa. That was a ridiculous and outlandish leap, and it was a bogus attempt to claim that vagabonds with cell phonesare just as corrupt as a traveler that gets sponsored by Mastercard.

Well, thats not what you told me in a private message on Reddit:

"You have been banned from our traveling community because you are not an authentic traveler. You are a fraud."
"Yes, you are banned from r/vagabond. When you learn how to travel the world without a Mastercard shirt, or stop giving speeches that are full of misleading advice to naive consumers, you are more than welcome to join a community of real travelers."

You made few points, I answered to all of them, and you keep ignoring everything apart from one - I got sponsored by a big company. That is your only argument. I dont really need your forgiveness, nor anyones here. I just like to defend myself, and to point out one thing - people that go out spitting on others just because they are different and have their own path, are the people who need to change their attitude.

If you want to continue with conversation, focus on arguments and facts, and then we can talk. Like your friends here all can.

K

Kim Chee

Sorry, the argument is so lopsided I feel the need to share this:

Remember:
****It isn't selling out if you always did it*****

I wonder how many here really would turn down the offer if given the opportunity:
Free smokes for carrying a tobacco company's duffel.
Free airfare for flying an airline logo.
Free cash for getting a lending institution logo tattoo.
Free food for signing up for foodstamps.
Free house for signing up for a government program.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads