Hey I'm new, looking for advice or any helpful tips | Squat the Planet

Hey I'm new, looking for advice or any helpful tips

Redfoxes

Reaction score
Hey there,
New to this and looking to become part of this community.
I love to travel, find experiences that make life worth living, and meet new and interesting people. And now I came across this community.
I don't know how personal people usually get with their introductions but I might as we lay it out there.
I left a bad domestic situation about a month ago now without much to my name and am just kinda homeless living out of my car for now. I've got camping supplies and blankets and am scouting around for spots to squat at or even just people to meet. One of my friends has described me as 'checked out'. I've been struggling with some shit for most of my life and the controlling relationship I was in was it for me. I'm done. I just want to be free to go wherever I want and do my own thing. Without having to play any games.
I've never actually squatted before but I have poked around in abandoned buildings and empty structures just to check em out.
If anybody has any tips for someone just starting out especially this time of year as it starts to get chilly I would greatly appreciate it.
Also feel free to send me a message just to chat. Always willing to make new friends.

Reactions: KittyCosmos

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
First suggestion - come south! ... North gets damn cold in winter. Cars are awesome to turn on & run the heat, for a bit, if you have to. But ya don't want to sleep in a running car & blankets usually aren't enough when it gets real cold. :)

Welcome to StP :)

It's a great place to poke around and read all kinds of interesting and useful tips! :)

Reactions: Redfoxes

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.
I would be happy to give you any tips, information, or advice that I can.
Just feel free to ask anything.
(If you ever make it around to my part of the country I would be happy to offer whatever I can)

Reactions: Juan Derlust

KittyCosmos

plutonian mick
Reaction score
Website
alleyaddict.tumblr.com
Welcome to the place, and glad you're here! There are definitely a lot of great resources here, and a ton of great people! Like @Ezra Fyre said, go somewhere south!Or west, southwest. I've spent the better portion of a year homeless in a car, and on another occasion under a bridge, both in the dead of winter in Central Minnesota. It is not fun, by any means. Yet, as I type that, I think about all the times I went camping in the dead of winter in Montana. . . .::hilarious::
Having a car can be a great advantage. My advice would be to find somewhere you'd like to go, and just start trekking there. I often hit the road with no destination at all.
When you take your freedom into your own hands, life can present you with some quite amazing experiences and opportunities.
Hope you find some great ones, along the way. Wishing you safe & adventurous travels! =]

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i'll echo what everyone else has been saying, you don't want to be living in your car in NY in the winter. if you have the funds or don't mind spanging or asking people for gas at gas stations, i'd head down to new orleans, since it's pretty nice there temperature wise, and there's other traveler folks you can probably meet up with.

train in vain

Reaction score
Head south. New orleans is a good choice for sure. Tons of folks who travel passing thru or living there for the winter. Relatively easy to pick up some work if youre inclined to do so. Who doesnt love hanks?
Downside...can be pretty fucked up and violent. Earlier this year walked out my friends door as a gun battle erupted less than a block away and the guy shooting up the house definitely didnt walk away.
Still a great city and its impossible not to bump into other travelers so definitely a good move if youre trying to ease into mobile living haha

Reactions: Ezra Fyre

travelingheathen

Reaction score
Rubber on asphalt; or dirt, or grass or gravel...
You're getting good advice as far as moving to a warmer climate. Since your profile pic has you facing west (according to the compass in the background), there's your sign.
If you must remain in your current area throughout winter due circumstances, get the best cold weather sleeping bag you can muster up. Think a zero bag and layer what blankets you already have. It might be tough, but you'll make it. Did a -20/-30* winter last season and can still count to 20 using all appendages ~of course that also could be due to my superpowers. As the above posts mention if you are able to migrate then absolutely do so.
...and red foxes... hell yes.
0826160227.jpg

Redfoxes

Reaction score
Sorry that I haven't said anything, I've been busy and haven't always had wifi. I want to thank you all for your advice! Right now I've got a job that I'm not keen on leaving and I'm looking like I'll have a place for November and onward through winter, but once it warms up and I've had time to save up over the winter I think I'll head west. I've been to Denver before and loved it there so I think I'll take my car and head out that way. And next winter I think I definitely want to check out some places down south, especially New Orleans! Reading your guys comments and messages and reading through the forums has really lifted my spirits.
Thanks folks

scarsofvenus

Reaction score
Hey there,
New to this and looking to become part of this community.
I love to travel, find experiences that make life worth living, and meet new and interesting people. And now I came across this community.
I don't know how personal people usually get with their introductions but I might as we lay it out there.
I left a bad domestic situation about a month ago now without much to my name and am just kinda homeless living out of my car for now. I've got camping supplies and blankets and am scouting around for spots to squat at or even just people to meet. One of my friends has described me as 'checked out'. I've been struggling with some shit for most of my life and the controlling relationship I was in was it for me. I'm done. I just want to be free to go wherever I want and do my own thing. Without having to play any games.
I've never actually squatted before but I have poked around in abandoned buildings and empty structures just to check em out.
If anybody has any tips for someone just starting out especially this time of year as it starts to get chilly I would greatly appreciate it.
Also feel free to send me a message just to chat. Always willing to make new friends.
Hey there, i just registered here too. I m in Brooklyn nyc and ready to head south, if you've got a car, maybe we can pool the cost and head south or etc?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads