Hey Everyone! Excited and Nervous As Hell | Squat the Planet

Hey Everyone! Excited and Nervous As Hell

TreeRat

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My names Hunter (m22) and I've spent the last 2 years bouncing around Georgia and working my ass off trying to get my Wildlife Management certification so I can start working in some National or State Parks. Now that I've finally reached the finish line I'm hoping to figure out a good way to jump into the travel-lifestyle without crashing too hard. As a kid I was a military brat who had to move all around the country due to both of my parent's work. I've been all across the Southwest and Southeast through the years. After graduating highschool I had to live out of my car a few times, but, despite the hard times, it was incredibly freeing. Ever since then I've dreamt of finding away to return to that level of freedom on my own terms with more comfort and preparation. Now I'm hoping to achieve a tiny-home or van-lifer style with the help of STP.

It's exciting to begin working towards living free. I've already backpacked a few times in the last couple of months and am currently working on getting some better gear for me and my SO. She's a Type 1 diabetic so I'll definitely have some questions on how we can start travelling without the risk of her running out of insulin.

All in all it's awesome to be part of the community after wanting to do this for so long. There's lots of cool people here and lots to learn. I'm looking forward to talking to some of you guys, and finally living the live I want.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sounds like you found the right place. I work for the NPS, just landed a permanent position this year, but i worked as a seasonal for 8 years.

Was trying to, and accomplished what it seems you are trying to do right now, starting at about the same age. Travelled out of a backpack and hitchhiked to multiple jobs across the western US, eventually got into firefighting and was able to buy/outfit a van to live out of during the off season, which I still drive today...

Its a long road, but its exciting and worth it, IMO. Be prepared for MANY things not to go your way/hardships, but things always work out in the end, if you do your best not to be a dumbass.

I would suggest reading our "preparation", "Travel Stories", and "Vehicle dwelling" sections, pretty in depth, and it will give you a good idea what you have to expect out of this lifestyle.

Try to read as much as you can before posting new threads asking questions, there is a very good chance the questions have already been answered in another thread. Using our 'search feature' will help with that.

Just dont get mesmerized to much by all the romance, people love to talk about the good times, but not always the bad. Not trying to scare you, just prepare yourself adequately, and you'll end up learning alot, and having a hell of alot of fun.

Welcome to StP.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My names Hunter (m22) and I've spent the last 2 years bouncing around Georgia and working my ass off trying to get my Wildlife Management certification so I can start working in some National or State Parks. Now that I've finally reached the finish line I'm hoping to figure out a good way to jump into the travel-lifestyle without crashing too hard. As a kid I was a military brat who had to move all around the country due to both of my parent's work. I've been all across the Southwest and Southeast through the years. After graduating highschool I had to live out of my car a few times, but, despite the hard times, it was incredibly freeing. Ever since then I've dreamt of finding away to return to that level of freedom on my own terms with more comfort and preparation. Now I'm hoping to achieve a tiny-home or van-lifer style with the help of STP.

It's exciting to begin working towards living free. I've already backpacked a few times in the last couple of months and am currently working on getting some better gear for me and my SO. She's a Type 1 diabetic so I'll definitely have some questions on how we can start travelling without the risk of her running out of insulin.

All in all it's awesome to be part of the community after wanting to do this for so long. There's lots of cool people here and lots to learn. I'm looking forward to talking to some of you guys, and finally living the live I want.
Definitely the right place to be, these people will have a solution to every question, as for myself? Nope, no answers as im an idiot. Just good vibes from me lol

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads