Help?

daydreamer

Reaction score
I don't even know where to start. I'm walking away from my old life. I'm not leaving much, which helps. Life sucks and I don't have the energy anymore to keep faking like I'm normal and everything's ok.

Basically I'm giving up. I quit. I'm done with the bs. But I don't know where to go. I'm too tired and depressed to even google anything. I got paid to drive a car to San Jose. I'll be there on the 29th. After that? I don't know. I'm not going back to Virginia. All I have is one small pack. Just tell me if I'd be better off in slab city or San Diego?

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Holy shit, that sounds like one hell of an ultimatum. Dont give up completely, there is always the opportunity to travel and lots of awesome people out there to support you in your efforts (Look at StP). As far as San Diego or Slab City, I think that all comes down to your own decision, and who you want to surround yourself with at this moment in your life. I wish you the best of luck, And I would probably go to SC if you have a way to support yerself with food and basic ammenities (food stamps rock). Stay Positive!

Reactions: Tude and Mankini

daydreamer

Reaction score
Holy shit, that sounds like one hell of an ultimatum. Dont give up completely, there is always the opportunity to travel and lots of awesome people out there to support you in your efforts (Look at StP). As far as San Diego or Slab City, I think that all comes down to your own decision, and who you want to surround yourself with at this moment in your life. I wish you the best of luck, And I would probably go to SC if you have a way to support yerself with food and basic ammenities (food stamps rock). Stay Positive!

I feel like SC would be more accepting of me or at least leave me alone. But it gets so damn cold there at night.

Reactions: Mankini

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya, but I dont think you will have a problem finding some sort of gear either on your way there, or when you get there. do you have a bag/tent?

daydreamer

Reaction score
Ya, but I dont think you will have a problem finding some sort of gear either on your way there, or when you get there. do you have a bag/tent?
I have a small backpack with my toothbrush and a couple changes of clothes. That's it. I also have an abscessed tooth that's prolly gonna kill me if I don't get it fixed. I guess I'd have better luck with that in San Diego. Fuck, I don't know what to do. I'm too tired to even make decisions anymore.

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I would definately get that taken care of in a city before heading out to SC. and dont totally rush into any decision either, do a little planning before making that decision if you can. But all I have to say is that the west coast is a way better place to chill out in my opinion =D! Everything will work itself out eventually, you will be alot happier when you get away from whatever it is that is stressing you out.

Reactions: Tude and Mankini

lone wolf

Reaction score
Paid to travel! ::wideeyed:: awesome.. What do you want to do when you get there?
If you want to work them I'd stay in the city. If you want to experience life then I'd go to the slabs.
Btw I've never been to either but i imagine the slabs would be fun if food doesn't become a problem.

daydreamer

Reaction score
Paid to travel! ::wideeyed:: awesome.. What do you want to do when you get there?
If you want to work them I'd stay in the city. If you want to experience life then I'd go to the slabs.
Btw I've never been to either but i imagine the slabs would be fun if food doesn't become a problem.

I don't want to do anything. I want to lie on the ground and cry. I want to disappear, but not freeze or starve. I want to walk out in front of a truck. I want to be happy.

Some conflicting wants there....

K

Kim Chee

The continued pain and the infection in your mouth is enough to drag anybody down. I can tell you aren't a quitter or it wouldn't bother you so much. Get that tooth addressed as soon as you get to San Jose and I'm sure you'll be feeling better right away.

This trouble isn't going to last.

You can do it!

pm me if you would like for me to look up resources for you in San Jose.

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yea you should be able to get food stamps in cali with an out of state ID. Just saying though, planning a bit has never hurt anyone. Except for the people it has hurt I guess. One of the allures of traveling is the unexpected, though. But seriously, get yer tooth taken care of and you will be able to think alot more clearly, I know how bad tooth pain can fuck with ya. Good luck!

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Bless you Daydreama!! Remember, dont despair, strike! Go on strike against every oppressive thing. i'm in colorado, but i want to go back to Cali too!!

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Dont worry. i grew up there in that gen'l area. lemme teach you a few thingz about Cali. :) First of all, like Coldplay said, its Para para Paradise! Secondly, its easy to live there. Pm and i will explain everything.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Hi!

I'm in the transition from so called "normal life" to a traveling, "unnormal" lifestyle as well. And I'm sometimes depressed, confused and uncertain about what to do. So I'm not much of a good advisor when it comes to that I guess. So I will relate more to the practical aspects ...

I have a small backpack with my toothbrush and a couple changes of clothes. That's it.

You should get a few things more, IMHO.

A good sleeping bag suited for the temps you will experience is essential. You probably don't need to spend much money for it, sometimes charities give away sleeping bags for free (experienced that in UK).

A sleeping bag is not only good for sleeping, it also can serve as a blanket when you sit somewhere for some time, when in the compression bag you can sit upon it comfortably. And it makes it somewhat obvious that you are traveling houseless.

I don't know what your opinion is about "making money" on the streets (spanging, flying a sign, ...) but my experience is that when you sit somewhere with a large backpack with a sleeping bag attached to it, you don't need to ask to get some money or food. Happened quite often even as I was "only" backpacking in England that I got a lot of stuff without even wanting (let alone asking) at that time.

Also, a good (maybe military surplus) backpack is a nice thing. It won't let you down by breaking in the wrong moment. You don't have to fill it with a lot of stuff. But if you need to carry a bit more (food/water/etc) you have the space for it.

I also have an abscessed tooth that's prolly gonna kill me if I don't get it fixed. I guess I'd have better luck with that in San Diego.

As others said, please get this fixed before further travels. I know how bad an abscessed tooth can be. You don't want to deal with that on the streets.

All the best to you! Take care!

Cheers!

Kal

Reaction score
You got to do what makes you happy and get that tooth looked at. Travel on and be free my friend.

daydreamer

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the advice. I'm currently in a campground in central CA but I don't want to stay here. (It's been very cold and rainy and I'm just over it.) I went back home and drove back to CA in my van. I have several dogs so I think slab city would be best for me right now, so that I can fence in a little area for them. (They're crated almost full time right now and they hate it.) But I'm concerned about the heat - I see its in the 90's now....I can live with that cuz it's dry. But when does it start to get unbearably hot? How much time would I have before I had to leave? And where do folks go when they leave SC for the summer? I'm really running out of time and money here - having the dogs really limits me. Open to any suggestions!

How do the full timers do it??

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads