Hello, wanna-be freedom chaser just joined up :)

DamienBeres

Reaction score
I'm disabled, in New Jersey, and was recently assaulted by my husband. Let's just say I'd REALLY like a change of scenery. I've been homeless for a couple of short stints, let's just say winter in Wichita, Kansas is not very enjoyable. I wanted to find a place in the woods near where I currently live to squat, but squatters laws really don't exist here and unless I could prove "residency" of my camp for 60 years it can be all torn down and I go to jail. Ugh really?

I'd like to get to California. I'm currently taking over 130 pills a week because in this shit pit I live in, marijuana is considered a dangerous drug while they pump me full of chemicals. I have a list of diagnoses the length of my damn arm and I still don't qualify here for a medical card. I just don't exactly know how I would get access to medication while traveling. As it is, I go to like three doctors appointments a week, I'd never get anywhere if I can't get my meds, I'd be in the hospital. I was hoping to figure out a plan and I know it will take some time, but I wanted to include this in my introduction in case there are other wanderers with illnesses who found out how to get their meds without having to see five doctors a month in this piece of shit state.

P.S. If you like New Jersey that's fine, but I've had some horrible experiences in this state and nobody will give me a rental application unless I make at least $1,500 a month and I only have about $400 a month income. They don't give people the shot to start a life here. I can get arrested for asking someone for a quarter, too. and no squatting. Blah. All I wanna do is live off the grid, live free.

Haystack

Reaction score
Welcome to StP!

How often do you have to get your prescriptions refilled and can you get them anywhere? Just some things to think about if you decide to hit the road. I'm not sure what your conditions are, nor do you have to say, but I probably wouldn't risk it knowing you have to take that many pills and you could end up in the hospital if you can't get them. If you can stock up on a couple months worth of pills (I know that's a crap load of pills) and you figure some kind of plan on how to make it to California then more power to you, just seems risky in my opinion.

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, just making sure that you think about what could happen if you can't get your pills while on the road or wherever you head to. Look around the forum and you'll find a world of knowledge and things to keep you busy for awhile ;)

Reactions: Tude

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome welcome! @Haystack stated it well I think. I do not know how people fulfill scripts on the road actually. I know of one long time traveler with cancer but he's a veteran and so he makes use of VA hospitals on his travels. But definitely research on the how to fill the scripts before traveling. Safe travels!

Zaphod

Reaction score
Hey welcome! I'm not sure if you're looking to travel or if you are just looking for a good place to squat. Either way, I wish you luck, but as long as you accept that you're just not gonna be able to ever own your squat through squater's law, you can squat most places pretty easily.

I understand you needing to get away though, fuck abusive people. Congratulations for getting yourself out of a bad situation.

Have you done any traveling before?

Reactions: Tude

Ande1968

Reaction score
please understand i do not know your situation and by no means can i comment on it however pa recently legalized weed your hometown is in pa why not work your way back to pa?
family friends, the quicker you get to a new location the quicker you get out from under the law that your living in.
Laws change from state to state and community to community.
if the want you they have to come and get you, if its minor than you can fight it from somewhere else.

Reactions: wrkrsunite

DamienBeres

Reaction score
@Haystack I only have to be seen for the Seroquel and Ativan fairly often, however I could drop both of those WAY easier than any of the other ones. I was having severe depression and mood swings and anxiety attacks because, surprise surprise, an abusive spouse will cause those things. I currently have it sent to my local ShopRite pharmacy. I did not at all think you were putting me down, being realistic is important when you are chronically ill.

DamienBeres

Reaction score
@Zaphod I have not done much traveling. I've been on vacation to Florida when I was 16 and lived in Wichita, Kansas for a few months. I've dreamt of traveling my whole life. When I was 9 I told everyone I could that one day I was going to be like The Wild Thornberries, and travel around in an RV and never stay any one place too long. I don't know where I get it from because everyone on my family seems content to stay in one place, whereas I've lived in the same place for 11 years now and I'm itching to get away. I'm bored and done. I hate this place. I'd like to travel and wait for the place to speak to me to find somewhere to squat. I'd also love being able to live off grid in a home I build myself. All I know is I gotta get out of here. And thank you, I tried pulling away multiple times and he manipulated me back. This assault was a blessing in disguise. I got a few little flesh wounds that are almost healed and I never have to be abused by him again.

Reactions: Zaphod

DamienBeres

Reaction score
@Ande1968 My hometown is full of heroin and people I hate. I really want to get off the East Coast, full-out life change but the first one ever that I decide on myself. I also like the idea of California because of the transgender acceptance, I made a note at the end next to my birth control that I am Trans. It's why I have boobs but a screen name of Damien lol

DamienBeres

Reaction score
All of my diagnoses and medications. Nearly all of my illnesses can be helped with medical marijuana, and probably ALL of my medications could be dropped with MEDICAL marijuana, high CBD low THC mix would help all of my pain and inflammation and PTSD and dot dot dot lol

Fallen arches
Two instances of scoliosis
Herniated disc
Fibromyalgia
Gastroesophogeal reflux disorder
Chronic active gastritis
Irritable bowel syndrome
Bipolar
ADHD
Dissociative identity disorder
PTSD
SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder, one reason I wanna move where it's always warm)
Generalized anxiety disorder
Tourette's
Unspecified Learning Disability
Dermatillomania (obsessive picking)
Haphephobia (phobia of touch from other people, primarily strangers)
Chronic migraines
Exploding head syndrome (when falling asleep I see violent white flashing)
The three insomnias (trouble falling asleep, trouble staying asleep, trouble falling back asleep once awake)
Night terrors
Sleep paralysis
Tremors
Muscle spasms
Arrhythmia
Intermittent tachycardia

Recently had a precancerous mole removed.

Pregablin 150mg pm 50mg am
Protonix 25mg am
Propranolol 10mg am and pm
Minipress 1mg am and pm
Zoloft 25mg am
Bentyl 5mg 3x day
Zantac 25mg am and pm
Phillips Colon Health am
5-HTP am and pm
Seroquel 300mg pm
Lorazepam 1mg as needed
Birth Control DepoProvera 150ml every 3 months
(I identify as FtM and birth control is my way of getting rid of shark week. I am not planning on starting to transition until a certain point of progress in the surgery for FtM)

DamienBeres

Reaction score
Sorry for all of those in a row. For some reason it wouldn't let me post it all in one which is odd, because I think multiple postings are more akin to spam than a long post.

VtJake

Reaction score
If you wanna travel, your gonna have to quit the opiates..,no way around it. I just quit m suboxone and 2 gram a day habit of dope, so i could travel. No way around it unless you wanna be a traveling dope fiend..

Zaphod

Reaction score
  1. Well, I wish you luck! I'm gonna be headed west eventually to hopefully find somewhere with more folks like myself, so I understand that. If you come through southern OH feel free to hit me up.

Reactions: DamienBeres

VtJake

Reaction score
My bad, I read your original message a few nights ago then replied from memory last night and thought you were on pain pills. If it's not pain pills or a controlled substance you could possibly get doctors to prescribe whatever your meds are elsewhere

Crazy Squirrel

Reaction score
For your stomach problems (Gastroesophogeal reflux disorder, Chronic active gastritis, Irritable bowel syndrome), have you tried cutting grains, dairy (raw dairy might be ok), and sugar out of your diet? Also, from what I've been reading, birth control pills will screw up your stomach, too.

Reactions: Zaphod

DamienBeres

Reaction score
I've tried cutting grains and felt worse, I can't have onions, peppers, radishes, or really acidic or spicy stuff, milk gives me reflux. Plus I get 90% of my food from food pantries, my options differ weekly. I tend to eat a lot of chocolate though. Idk so does my grandma and she's healthy lol

@VtJake Oh man, I was on Klonpin and it was awful. I gained 110 pounds and laid around depressed and eating. I basically just laid in bed watching reruns of Criminal Minds on this tiny, old tv, eating.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads