Hello, I'm Pickles... | Squat the Planet

Hello, I'm Pickles...

sgtpickles

Reaction score
Hi fellow freaks & geeks... I guess I should've been on this page a long time ago, I wish I had known about this sooner, it's been great reading my first few threads so far and seeing so many like-minded travelers.

Just to introduce myself, I'm from Grand Rapids, MI, I'm 21 years old and in my last year of college, and I've been dirtbagging for about 2 years now I suppose, when I have time off school. My "trail name/traveling name" is Pickles :) Had my first taste of the lifestyle when I thru hiked the PCT in 2018, and squatted in Yosemite Valley for a month in 2017 (and 18 as well, but I digress). I've been wanting to try more outrageous stuff as I get more comfortable with this environment, and my consciousness has led me to the rails. I've wanted to ride trains for years, but never really knew enough about it to try it... But now I figure hey, every experience I've ever had like this, I've just jumped in and figured it out along the way - it's all about adapting to what the universe throws at you... and from what I've researched, catching out seems to be the same way. I'm finally gonna go for it next week, catching my first train south to Chicago, with a goal of eventually reaching Denver, CO. I'm excited to figure it out and meet some of you along the way :p

I've been to Chicago once before, but not gonna lie, getting around and figuring routes from the south side yards is a little intimidating, especially for my first ride... I understand the rules so I'm not asking for handouts here, just looking for reassurance or tips if anyone is familiar with catching out from Chicago. Hell, maybe if anyone's looking to link up and head west in a few days, hit me up maybe we can link up & share some za & stories.

Anyways, looking forward to being a part of this group. See y'all out there goons

D

Deleted member 25986

I've been to Grand Rapids before... Had a terrible time there. Oh well... Hoping going to Denver goes as smooth for you as it can if it does.

roughdraft

Reaction score
nice, I myself am fond of Grand Rapids, one of those times just walking up the street, talked to some people sitting on their porch, and they hosted me on the spot, it was a nice four or five days with them.

I met one freight riding guy there, back then, Tim Blackhands? seemed like a good dude but i dont know him like that.

there used to be a place called Godspeed You! Black Coffee

anyway. you're travelin, not stickin around there, nice.

It would be great to learn all about this PCT trek you did, you did the thruhike? i dont think this forum has anything on that, if yr game for writing it up, i think many people here would be enthusiastic to read it

sgtpickles

Reaction score
nice, I myself am fond of Grand Rapids, one of those times just walking up the street, talked to some people sitting on their porch, and they hosted me on the spot, it was a nice four or five days with them.

I met one freight riding guy there, back then, Tim Blackhands? seemed like a good dude but i dont know him like that.

there used to be a place called Godspeed You! Black Coffee

anyway. you're travelin, not stickin around there, nice.

It would be great to learn all about this PCT trek you did, you did the thruhike? i dont think this forum has anything on that, if yr game for writing it up, i think many people here would be enthusiastic to read it

Nice! I’ve been going to school in GR for 4 years now, I do like the city. I don’t think that coffee place is around anymore though. People here do indeed tend to be super friendly.
Yeah I did a thru last year and next one’s going to be the CDT in 2020. If people here might be interested I think I could do a post in a different forum about it, I’ve got some stories from that. Glad to hear the enthusiasm, thanks man 👍

Reactions: roughdraft

roughdraft

Reaction score
Nice! I’ve been going to school in GR for 4 years now, I do like the city. I don’t think that coffee place is around anymore though. People here do indeed tend to be super friendly.
Yeah I did a thru last year and next one’s going to be the CDT in 2020. If people here might be interested I think I could do a post in a different forum about it, I’ve got some stories from that. Glad to hear the enthusiasm, thanks man 👍

yeah dont hesitate!

and holy hell the CDT, got some balls

D

Deleted member 25986

Aw man! What sucked about Grand Rapids? I’ve lived here for about 4 years now, living here’s not bad but what was your experience like?
My "father" lives in Rockford... Went up there to get "help" from him. He screwed me over after two months because he is a terrible awful human being like most people and he put me in that Pivot Crisis Center in Grand Rapids. Was stuck there for a month and it was terrible because the people there I didn't belong with for extremely obvious reasons. Then they put me in a "adult foster care home" and I got the hell out of there after a few days because fuck that. So yeah... It wasn't good. Sorry. And this was back in August and September of 2017.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads