Hello from the Sacramento area.

NomadicDiscord

Reaction score
My name is Breana. Some call me Banana. I recently moved up to Sacramento from Barstow, CA when my boyfriend's mom offered me a job and a place to stay. She decided to kick me out when I found a different job because her hours were not reliable and steady. I have been staying in my vehicles for three nights now. I have a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek that I recently bought which makes things easier and harder at the same time. Worried about making the payments for it while finding a place to live. It has room for all my stuff and me to sleep when I'm not doing my in-home caregiving job. Only my boyfriend knows I am living in my car. My uncle thinks I am still at my boyfriend's mom's place. So does my boss. In a very stressful situation that I cannot remove myself from. No friends or family up here where I can park my car outside their house each night. Worried about getting in trouble for sleeping in my car. I am trying to stay on the positive side of things but it is hard to see one at times. If anyone reading this has any tips or suggestions on making this situation work or even just some buddies to talk to who understand, that would be greatly appreciated.

Take it easy!

NomadicDiscord

Reaction score
Hi Breana!
You at least have a car :D. Just kidding. If seriously, you make an impression of a positive person. I'm pretty sure you can cope with everything! Be strong, and everything's gonna be alright!
By the way, why did your boyfriend let his mother drive you out? Or why didn't he go away with you? Is the right man with you? Think about it.
He really didn't have much say in the matter regarding her kicking me out. And as for going with me, I wouldn't let him. She bought him his car as a gift so even though it's registered to him, so there's nothing she can do legally, she still holds it over his head. She asked for the pink slip for it or I had to leave and I wouldn't let him give it to her because he would never get it back. She could cancel his insurance, his phone, everything. Things will get better eventually because I do have a reliable car and job. It's just stressful the possibility of dealing with cops and any untrustworthy people I may come across on my way. Thank you for your kind words and concern about my boyfriend. He gives me money and hangs out with me whenever we are not at work or school. He does what he can. He's great.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Let me get this straight....you moved from Barstow...

.....to SAC?

.....I'm so sorry!

Please, answer me this, does SAC suck as bad as it seemed to me last time I was there (I was downtown near the bus depot, and also way up north at the 1-5/I-80 cutoff)?

Or should I give it another chance?

I would highly recommend moving to a different area where it is easy to do such things as living in your car, or being a tramp/broke/alternative. Most of california sucks for that though.

Anyway, welcome to StP, and good luck! I may be rolling thru SAC this winter.....but I hope not.

NomadicDiscord

Reaction score
Let me get this straight....you moved from Barstow...

.....to SAC?

.....I'm so sorry!

Please, answer me this, does SAC suck as bad as it seemed to me last time I was there (I was downtown near the bus depot, and also way up north at the 1-5/I-80 cutoff)?

Or should I give it another chance?

I would highly recommend moving to a different area where it is easy to do such things as living in your car, or being a tramp/broke/alternative. Most of california sucks for that though.

Anyway, welcome to StP, and good luck! I may be rolling thru SAC this winter.....but I hope not.
I'm actually in the nearby areas like fair oaks but what I saw of sac was better than where I am from. Barstow would be better for this lifestyle but then I wouldn't have any job opportunities either. I cannot say about the area you are familiar with. But yeah, I am here for awhile so if you do roll through, let me know!

angerisagift

Reaction score
@NomadicDiscord keep your head up. Life can be a Grind sometimes. Moving around is key to rubber tramping. Like park at Firestone or Goodyear garages use same 1 like once maybe twice a week. It looks like dropping car off to get serviced. Hopefully vehicle doesn't have lots of stickers, eye grabbing paint or rims. So it doesn't draw attention. Good Luck!! At least you r working that is grrrreat

Reactions: Audreyest1

misanthropicrustacian

Reaction score
I'm east of Sacramento in a small town , if you ever happen to come out to the mountains for some reason and was t to hang out , or burn , if u smoke , hmu, and ya it sounds like you got some things to be grateful for , just be safe and follow your gut feeling

BulaShane

Reaction score
Hey not sure what your job schedule is like or skills or wants for a place but I'm west of Sac on 16 in the Capay Valley working for salary based pay and living on site free as an irrigation manager at a ranch. There are plenty of less demanding opportunities in the area that offer housing and food if you have time to do chores in the mornings or evenings or full time entry level jobs so you can get off the street. Depends on what you want to do and are able to do. Hmu if you want.

Reactions: angerisagift

angerisagift

Reaction score
Hey not sure what your job schedule is like or skills or wants for a place but I'm west of Sac on 16 in the Capay Valley working for salary based pay and living on site free as an irrigation manager at a ranch. There are plenty of less demanding opportunities in the area that offer housing and food if you have time to do chores in the mornings or evenings or full time entry level jobs so you can get off the street. Depends on what you want to do and are able to do. Hmu if you want.
That sounds great

BulaShane

Reaction score
It is great. Came a long way from being a volunteer farmer for food and bed, nursery intern in Humboldt, trimmer, picker, ranch hand, to salaried farm manager. Better than town life for me. It can get a person off the street, get you healthy, and even the room and board jobs can improve your quality of life better than an hourly paid job for the right person. Thanks for the thumbs down ;)

angerisagift

Reaction score
It is great. Came a long way from being a volunteer farmer for food and bed, nursery intern in Humboldt, trimmer, picker, ranch hand, to salaried farm manager. Better than town life for me. It can get a person off the street, get you healthy, and even the room and board jobs can improve your quality of life better than an hourly paid job for the right person. Thanks for the thumbs down ;)
Ooops sorry typo

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
Hope your situation has improved!

Urban car camping can be a bitch sometimes, unfortunately I don't have a lot of info on Sacramento myself but some general tips:

Walmart parking lot is good in a pinch if if the Walmarts not totally blown up with home bums. Especially if it's a Walmart that has RV facilities

Usually good to drive around looking for safe spots, both at day and at night to find one that is really low key. Avoid underneath freeway overpasses and bridges for the most part they're usually already occupied by some pretty shady neighbors.

Hide in plain sight: people expect you to sleep in your car in some dark corner, if you can find the right angle to park so the lights not in your eyes, a few streetlights can keep the assholes looking the other way.

Find a few good spots and rotate them so no one catches on to where you're staying

Above all be safe! Good to keep your tire iron near you in case you have to chase someone off.

Good luck

Reactions: Odin

Audreyest1

Reaction score
I stayed in my van at a truck stop parking lot for the 2 weeks I visited during this last summer. There were a lot of other regulars there every night. I think as long as you're up by 7ish in the a.m. no one will bother you and tell you that you can't park there overnight. (I had taken my kid in to use the restroom and when I came out the neighbor parked next to me said he had received a warning... I never got one b/c I always made sure to get out before 7am after that)
Heres the Location. Good luck!
Sacramento 49er Travel Plaza
2828 El Centro Rd, Sacramento, CA 95833

D

deleted17310

Hey, I'm in sac kinda chilling through the winter. My mom lives here and I had roots in this town a few years ago. If you still need the low down on good places to camp or just wanna make a new friend I'm here for you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads