Hello from Seattle

Argus

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey guys. I've been a native Washingtonian all my life. If you know anything about the MBTI I'm an ENTP.

I'm really glad I've found this forum. I've had a wanderlust for quite sometime and more recently a strange intrigue with who I believe to be Vagabonds. Occasionally I see them on random street corners in Seattle and they usually find their way to city festivals like Folklife and Hemp Fest.

I'm restless living at home. I tried school a few times and it simply isn't for me right now. I've moved out a few times but generally into situations that I had to have a passion for (i.e. moving into the basement of a single minded ENTJ pastor; slaving on a cruise ship, serving the demands of old fat people at the apex of the American-fucking-dream, etc...). Ever sense I was young I've dreamed of just letting it all go (home, work, things, everything) and just wander the world. I don't expect reality to be quite as romanic as I imagine, but I want to experience it all the more.

I've decide to turn my fascination into action and at the beginning of the new year (2010) leave home and travel the US via train hopping. Maybe do some photography and journalism along the way for my own sake.

I have no idea what I'm doing, where I'm going to go, who I'm going to travel to travel with, how I'm going to meet people, or for how long I plan to do it.

That's about it.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
In my experience, "people to travel with" are usually a liability and an anchor.

It can be cool, many do enjoy traveling as one of seven, but I suggest you do some solo wandering to get your own feet planted. Anyone who comes along is not going to be your lifeline if you can handle yourself.

Argus

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I don't mean "people to travel with" in a unit-monster glued-to-the hip sort of way. More just some people that can show me ropes of train hopping (like tips on how to not get caught), nothing I suppose I couldn't figure out on my own but I'd like to avoid the error side of trial.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Hey, if you do a search for "Seattle" (or "Washington", maybe), a recent introduction was from someone in Seattle, and a month or two back another kid wrote from Everett. These may be good contacts to make; it's worth a checking in to.

There are plenty of people in that area, myself and Widerstand (among others) are pretty fond of it.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Look bro I haven't even read the whole thread, nor am I trying to flame but like with anything in life, the best way to learn proficiency is t fail a few times, If you most fear being caught, well I have some good news for you! ride some trains, don't be stupid, keep your limbs away from moving parts and trestle/trees as you speed by them, try to stay concealed in something like a boxcar or bum-hole grainer stay in bushes in yards, and go only to and from your train - NOWHERE ELSE IN THE YARD!!! stay away from equipment and personnel, trucks and anything that is not a intermoddal train.
Now after you do this a few times you should be caught at least once, then asses what you did wrong and don't do it again, thats how you ride trains without getting caught: you get caught and learn from your mistakes.
thank you for using the StP FAQ function and please don't hesitate to use the "SEARCH" button for anymore queries you may have pertaining to anything I have mentioned.
Have a nice day and remember; 2 in the pink, one in the stink.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads