Hello from S. Carolina | Squat the Planet

Hello from S. Carolina

ddb29340

Reaction score
Hello, everybody...I've been lurking here a week or so reading a bunch of the forum posts and what not. Some of y'all have really got it goin' on! Me, I've traveled a good bit with the military and thought I'd satisfied my Internal Wanderlust, so I bought a house and "settled down". Survived 3 marriages, had a daughter, all while never really feeling like I belong to the "straight" world. I finally figured out that I still have a NEED to travel instead of looking at the same 4 walls all the time.

Now I'm just an "Old Phart" (64, but in good health) and wondering if I could break out of this "prison" I've put myself in. I've thought about just selling my house and doing the rubber tramp thing. I've been a member of a couple of the Vandwelling forums for several years...and have learned a lot about living in a vehicle. One common theme I read all the time is: "Wish I'd done this years ago!" So I bought a camper top for my old pickup truck, as I figured that'd be the cheapest way out. I haven't really installed it permanently yet because I got to thinking about the fact that it's probably gonna LEAK everytime it rains and get my bedding wet. So now I'm thinking about getting a van. I don't know...

At any rate, I just wanted to pop in here and introduce myself. I live in the upstate of South Carolina, and I'm hoping with hurricane Irma bearing down on us, that everybody will be ok...stay safe and dry. If anybody's in the path of the storm, holler at me, and I could let you crash here for a couple of days, till it quits raining. I've got groceries and some four twenty, so we can get "fed up" and "smoked up" if nothing else! hahaha :D

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
Welcome and best of luck to you on your adventures. Safe travles.

ddb29340

Reaction score
Welcome and best of luck to you on your adventures. Safe travles.[/QUOTE said:
Thank you and same to you!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hey - welcome to STP - and good luck and have fun solving that wanderlust on your quest!

Reactions: ddb29340

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
Welcome, I love the idea of building a livable vehicle. Just never had the funds, yet!
Good luck and safe travels don't forget to pick up us hitchhikers when you see us on the ramps someday soon!

Reactions: ddb29340

ddb29340

Reaction score
Welcome, I love the idea of building a livable vehicle. Just never had the funds, yet!
Good luck and safe travels don't forget to pick up us hitchhikers when you see us on the ramps someday soon!

I like the idea of living in a van, too. I've had the funds in the past when I was working for a living, then throat cancer jumped on me in 2008, and it wiped out my savings and almost did me in. I thank God every day just for LIFE ITSELF! I'm seldom see anybody hitchhiking around here...can't remember when I saw one. But when I do...I'll pick 'em up! I love helping others if I can!!!

Reactions: Juan Derlust

ddb29340

Reaction score
Welcome to the family of wanderlust miscreants ; ). Cheers::drinkingbuddy::

"Thankee--thankee very much! I'll be here all week!" (he cried in his best Elvis voice.) :cool:

ddb29340

Reaction score
Welcome from western NC! I love seeing older folx here. Cheers

THANKS, buddy...glad to be here! I rode through Hendersonville just the other day, headed to Etowah. How 'bout dat? hahaha :)

Zbart1108

Reaction score
Welcome, it's so good to see people chase their dreams...nobody does that anymore. I myself got fought up in the norm to conform society and when I finally withdrew I got a while new perspective, then I found this sight and found the inspiration to complete my next task in life...

Reactions: scoutwilding

ddb29340

Reaction score
Welcome, it's so good to see people chase their dreams...nobody does that anymore. I myself got fought up in the norm to conform society and when I finally withdrew I got a while new perspective, then I found this sight and found the inspiration to complete my next task in life...

THANKS for the welcome...It sounds to me like you've got it going on!!! Good luck with that next task, buddy!!!

scntfc

Reaction score
Just checking in crom NC. wish you well in your endeavors. I just acqured a van also. I'm looking to make that transition in a couple of months.

ddb29340

Reaction score
Just checking in crom NC. wish you well in your endeavors. I just acqured a van also. I'm looking to make that transition in a couple of months.

THANKS...and I wish you well, too, buddy! Are you in the Army there at Ft. Bragg?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads