Hello everyone, I'm the new kid on the "Block" | Squat the Planet

Hello everyone, I'm the new kid on the "Block"

MP20100427

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Taliena AKA T. I'm just getting started in this life style and have been researching this for the past month or two. The reason why I decided to "convert" to this lifestyle is, I'm just plain sick and tired of working my butt off just to be able to afford to survive. I want to be able to live while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. If anyone has any helpful tips for getting started, I would greatly appreciate it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
haha yeah im making something like 20/hr and i can't wait to quit.

tons of info here, check out the resources section and use the search!

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
First off, Welcome to stp!!! Super glad you made it here and I hope you find everything and more. I dont want to come off rude, so ill do my best at picking my words. I'm sure you are on the right track, but I think I speak for mor than myself when I say there is alot of tips we could give that wouldn't do any good bc "this lifestyle is rather vague. How do you want to live...?
So I'm a small time contractor ( i contract my time and skills) in Idaho I make between 20 and 100 an hour depending on what were doing. It's a love hate relationship. I am a true minamalist in the fact that all my things Inclouding toys and tools fit in a 99 Tahoe right now. I like to travel and do different things see different places meet amazing ppl. I like to hitchhike I have owned two school buses converted and lived in one gutted the other and lived in it too I lived in a van a short transit bus a car and now a Tahoe. This spring g I am hopping out for the first time ( been not doing g that since 2011...) in simple words I have built a life whare I can leave for periods of time off on an adventure, i can find work anywhere or come back and have work here ready at my finger tips. I dont keep a house or pay income taxes I dont have a power bill or Insurance off the jobsite. The people I have in my life here employers and friends alike expect me to leave sooner rather than later with no set return date and I am always welcome back. I have spent alot of time creating this and it is ever changing as well. New work brings new travel travel brings work... I work seasonal jobs as well. I'm a total ski bumb during the winter so i work a ski resort. Also a job you can take around the country. I tune skies and boards. I'm studying energy medicine and planning collage for that... I live a very unconventional lifestyle I clash with alot of Idaho folk, most actually. But there is no better spot In the country to live.
So when you say "this lifestyle" you gotta give us a clue Doll! Alot of these folks here are hard core full time on the road nomadic mothfuckers and that's bad ass too. So what's your poison?

Last edited:

roughdraft

Reaction score
following Bird Daddy's point i copy n paste this (i wrote it) from another thread

<this has gotten me thinking a bit about this forum and what regular posters have in common ..

because - not everyone ride trains, not everyone lives out of a motorized vehicle, not everyone sleeps outside/sleeps rough, not everyone is willing to hitchhike, not everyone busks, not everyone is willing to go stay on a homestead more outside of civilization, and so on - but i would be willing to bet most have some experience with at least 2 out of 6 of the above.

this is not my point, however - the first thing that comes to mind and really sticks that everybody has in common on this forum is an awareness that money is not what life is all about... that it is secondary to life experience which is lost on many people caught up moreso in the paper chase.

the phrase 'squat the planet' literally epitomizes this idea no? like what has been stolen from us as humans in this civilization? we have to take that back because we all in some fashion recognize that something is missing and it's undoubtedly not going to be fulfilled by having a certain salary, credit rating, etc. to put it lightly, fair? >

anyway good luck and enjoy yrself

Last edited:

MP20100427

Reaction score
Yeah wage labor sucks, but it makes the world go round, I had to quit 10 or so different jobs before I realized that, and one of em paid $32/h!!!

Be your true self and don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks. My advice.

I appreciate this advice. I've never been happy sitting still, stuck in the same dead end job, working my life away just to stay a float. I've never been on a vacation and I'm sick of living my life off the whim of each job I've held.

Everyone i know is saying I'm crazy because I want to live in my car just to be free. But, at this point, paint me crazy I don't care. I just want to live my life while I still have it to live.

MP20100427

Reaction score
First off, Welcome to stp!!! Super glad you made it here and I hope you find everything and more. I dont want to come off rude, so ill do my best at picking my words. I'm sure you are on the right track, but I think I speak for mor than myself when I say there is alot of tips we could give that wouldn't do any good bc "this lifestyle is rather vague. How do you want to live...?
So I'm a small time contractor ( i contract my time and skills) in Idaho I make between 20 and 100 an hour depending on what were doing. It's a love hate relationship. I am a true minamalist in the fact that all my things Inclouding toys and tools fit in a 99 Tahoe right now. I like to travel and do different things see different places meet amazing ppl. I like to hitchhike I have owned two school buses converted and lived in one gutted the other and lived in it too I lived in a van a short transit bus a car and now a Tahoe. This spring g I am hopping out for the first time ( been not doing g that since 2011...) in simple words I have built a life whare I can leave for periods of time off on an adventure, i can find work anywhere or come back and have work here ready at my finger tips. I dont keep a house or pay income taxes I dont have a power bill or Insurance off the jobsite. The people I have in my life here employers and friends alike expect me to leave sooner rather than later with no set return date and I am always welcome back. I have spent alot of time creating this and it is ever changing as well. New work brings new travel travel brings work... I work seasonal jobs as well. I'm a total ski bumb during the winter so i work a ski resort. Also a job you can take around the country. I tune skies and boards. I'm studying energy medicine and planning collage for that... I live a very unconventional lifestyle I clash with alot of Idaho folk, most actually. But there is no better spot In the country to live.
So when you say "this lifestyle" you gotta give us a clue Doll! Alot of these folks here are hard core full time on the road nomadic mothfuckers and that's bad ass too. So what's your poison?

To be honest, I'm not quite sure I've defined it as of yet either. All i know is my first step is going to be living in my car. I think I'll figure out the rest as i go. I don't want to be bogged down by insanely high rent prices and never be able to save enough money to go see and do things.

Here's to FREEDOM!

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome Aboard T!!!
I have the same feeling as you are by just quitting my not going anywhere job and taking off for good. Once my lease is up next year, I'm outta here!
Take the advise from the others that posted here.
Living in your car is start.
I am wishing you the best of luck and please update us and there's plenty of people here that can answer any questions you have. Good Luck and be safe!

Reactions: MP20100427

MP20100427

Reaction score
Welcome Aboard T!!!
I have the same feeling as you are by just quitting my not going anywhere job and taking off for good. Once my lease is up next year, I'm outta here!
Take the advise from the others that posted here.
Living in your car is start.
I am wishing you the best of luck and please update us and there's plenty of people here that can answer any questions you have. Good Luck and be safe!

Thank you!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
in addition to our site, www.cheaprvliving.com has some pretty great ideas and resources specifically geared towards car living!

Fuzzypeach

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Taliena AKA T. I'm just getting started in this life style and have been researching this for the past month or two. The reason why I decided to "convert" to this lifestyle is, I'm just plain sick and tired of working my butt off just to be able to afford to survive. I want to be able to live while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. If anyone has any helpful tips for getting started, I would greatly appreciate it.
I would start with something to live in unless you are accustomed to living outside. Even then, it will be quite an adjustment.

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 22934

Your gorgeous girl! Hope you find what your looking for. Life is crazy sometimes... Hot me up if your in or around Arizona!

vibrate9

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

i recomend meeting other traveler types to teach you the ropes, maybe hitch a ride somewhere and have them show you their methods, if you ever make it to az send me a pm im always down to kick it with new people, regardless peace & love & safe travels to you

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads