Hello all.

Joshicus

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Joshua. I am here because in the very near future I might be without a roof over my head. I lost my job back in May after working 10 years at a local hospital. Lost my apartment, almost everything I own (still have camera, laptop, clothes, canoe and camping gear) and my truck got Repo'd. Seems like no one is hiring, even the fast food joints. I'm currently crashing at my parents place. However, my father is not very understanding about jobs not hiring. I have the feeling that he will soon push me out as my stepmom keeps telling me I should stay at the homeless shelter in Lancaster. Screw that.

Anyway. When it happens I'm thinking about taking my canoe, camping gear and some extra clothes and canoeing down the Ohio and Mississippi, up some tributary and then hoofing it on foot to the west coast or maybe one of the desert areas. I have some decent "bushcraft" skills, and can canoe fairly well. only thing is that I have to drag my canoe and the 200ish pounds of gear 5 miles to the local river that runs into the Ohio.

I've camped in the winter before (pic related, my camp) So the cold doesn't bother me, yet. Only thing that concerns me is cops and people wanting to pics fights or gank my crap.n Anyway, that is my life story so far. I hope to learn much from you all. As each day that passes me by I seriously start actually wanting to just up and do it.

Attachments

• IMG_0847.JPG
    IMG_0847.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 284

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome to our community. And also sorry that you are losing dwelling. However it does sound like you have plans in place. You run into issues - check out our couch surfing section.

Reactions: Joshicus and kidbob

DesertRat

Reaction score
Welcome to STP!

As far as your gear, maybe lash an old skateboard to the aft of your canoe, throw your gear in it, and rig some way to comfortably lift/carry the fore? Just a thought.

Best of luck in your travels.

Reactions: Joshicus
B

blackwave

Hey, just a first thought, maybe you could keep soma that heavy stuff at home so you don't have to lug it around with you, it'll get old. At some point, you're just gonna want to sell it to get it off your back.. maybe

you could possibly have them ship it to you once you find a stationary place, just grab a camera/usb and go!

also, if you're into any sort of art or craftsmanship bring along some brushes or tools to make money along the way, good luck~

http://s22.postimg.org/67o2shrrz/hobo_stove.jpg

Last edited:

kidbob

Reaction score
Here's some advice from an ol timer.......just cause its a 5 gal.bucket doesn't mean u have to lug 5 gallons of shit around in it.so just cause ur pack can hold 200lbs doesn't mean u have to.ur feet are ur best friend.regardless of how u want to travel.and that 5 mile death march NEVER CHANGES.....I've been all over and 4/5 miles from anywhere is allways the expected. So think about this....maybe tote ur canoe its self( instead of skateboard build a street luge.its really really simple design but very effective.) Tote ur canoe to your put out....and maybe just stash it or padlock it to a tree....5 miles is about a 30 min walk with no gear. Then go back and grab ur gear.that 200 lbs of gear u got....albeit nessecery in ur head for this that or the other....is extreamly overweight..most travelers packs are around 30 or 40 lbs.and even with good shoes and socks by the first week u got blisters on blisters and walking on ur ankles so as to not make them bigger. So just for fun.tote that pack loaded as u got it.and walk down to the dock.then back.I gurantee u won't make it a mile with out thinking about what's really worth toteing.and by the time u make it home you will have half that shit staying at home.then after that cut it in half one more time.and what ur left with should be a very basic but essential pack.and if u paruse these forums u will find what's essential to u.also nobodys made a floating trip down the Mississippi since huck Finn and tom sawyer so make sure to make notes and take pictures.u might just start something new.

Reactions: Joshicus

Joshicus

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. I guess I should clarify that the 200lbs is a rough estimate and not entirely all gear. My actually camping gear is on a large Alice pack with external frame, everything weighs about 45-50 with 2, 1 liter stainless canteens full and a fishing tackle and pole. The rest of the weight is from 4, 5 gallon buckets filled with 1300ish pounds of rice and split peas to a 10-1 ratio. Which is enough food for about one pound a day for 3-4 months. of course I intend to fish or scavenge dumpsters for meat and veggies to go with it. But the rice is something to fall back one while I learn.

But then again, I have no idea what will happen when the time comes. I could just toss my pack and fishing stuff in the canoe and then go without the rice. but I would like to have it just encase.

B

blackwave

It's good that you mention the rice, I do believe it would be a good thing to have, small meals will fill you up fast if you have enough clean water. Also you should check out the health and energy benefits of fresh ginger root.. it may come in handy when your traveling far distances without town insight. funny tho, your photo reminds me of the ones who thrive on air and solar light ground earth energy vibration... sun gazing 'breath air in' .. breatharians
more of a thing to sit with than to travel by though .

have relaxation on your journey, don't forget to tell us! i have not heard much of your type of adventure ..

check into natural essential oil bug spray and bio dissolvable soap please. :) and check out the anti poison properties of charcoal.. good stuff!

D

Deleted member 20

Well if you have more gear than peraps you require (2) 5 gallon buckets. I prefer the square type
uploadfromtaptalk1388075863994.jpg
. Just kidding of course. You dont/wont need half or more of your stuff.

freepizzaforlife

Reaction score
Kidbob. there is multiple people that raft down the Mississippi every year......Have been for fucking years, considering I grew up along the Mississippi and saw these people stop every year. Did you seriously reccomend he lug a fucking street luge around with him?

Your "profile" says you ate 28, This isin't very old. I know many people that are older then you, and don't call theirselves old timers.

D

Deleted member 20

I believe i read somewhere that kidbob may have learned the 5 gallon bucket trick from an actual old timer. I do like the idea of a skateboard for portaging on roadways.

Last edited:

kidbob

Reaction score
I never claimed to be an old timer just learned the bucket trick from one.when I said nobody floats the river I guess I should have stated nobody on here has reported back about it.and no I was not recomending hauling a street luge around lmao them Fucking things are heavy.I was recomending building one to haul his Canoe the 5 miles to the dock.

kidbob

Reaction score
How did this pan out? did we make it down the river?

D

Deleted member 20

I haven't even done any planning yet. I have a 5hp outboard I dumstered up in Maine that need some work that may be attached to a skiff. Unsure when it will be but most likely when the weather gets nice up in Minnesota say spring. I haven't decided on what type of craft or anything besides mentioning it a few places. I have a busy summer lined up & potentially will be traveling to 17 music festivals so unsure if that will get in the way of this trip or not. Thanx for reminding me that I got aput some effort into making it happen.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads