Heading to the Big Island Hawaii in a few weeks.

noothgrush

Reaction score
Yes I have used the search function on the site first of all. Does anyone have any tips as far as stealth camping is concerned? I hear conflicting reports about beach camping. Also how's the dumpstering and food pantry situation?

D

Deleted member 24029

I've heard that the State has ignored beach camping in the past, but, hopefully, there's someone on StP that is currently on the Big Island who can speak to this...?

noothgrush

Reaction score
I had a friend who stayed on Oahu and he said it depends on the area. Its just not very helpful because once again I hear that Oahu and the big island are very different.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I'd pack a cheap tent. It's gonna be pretty buggy i.e. lots of mosquitos, anywhere that you'll be stealth camping and it's still gonna be the rainy season for another couple months there. Have fun man!

• Useful
Reactions: noothgrush

noothgrush

Reaction score
I'd pack a cheap tent. It's gonna be pretty buggy i.e. lots of mosquitos, anywhere that you'll be stealth camping and it's still gonna be the rainy season for another couple months there. Have fun man!
Thanks man. Any really good spots I should check out? I saw your post about the old airstrip. I wonder if its still a viable option?

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks man. Any really good spots I should check out? I saw your post about the old airstrip. I wonder if its still a viable option?
Yeah, I'm sure it is. It's called the Old Kona Airport State Recreation Area if you want to check it out on google maps. I camped on the beach there, but don't leave your tent unattended. Just west of Kona. I think some people used to pitch tents in the big field across from the Walmart there in town as well, but it's been several years since I've been.

I'd definitely check out the Puna District. lots of hippies, laid back....just be careful cause there's some places out there that are like the wild west. Oh yeah, try and make it out to the Kehena Beach Drum Circle too...I forget what day it's on....sundays maybe

• Useful
Reactions: noothgrush

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads