Have you ever met a mute traveler? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Have you ever met a mute traveler?

D

deleted user

I've read johns book numerous times. I've never met a mute but I'm trying for a few days of silence myself without speaking verbally. He did and survived. It is kind of weird in public places but I'm far from ever embarrassed so I don't care. I'm not big on talking a lot as it is anymore. For my mental health I have to have solitude where I say a few sentences in a day to my dog and be okay

Yeah, even when I do it by choice it is an interesting learning experience. The current community I'm at I've done it by choice for 3-5 days. It is so bizarre to see peoples' reactions. Some people feel miffed or seem to take offense to (or responsibility for) my silence. It makes me feel kind of disillusioned to be among the frontlines of the counter-culture and feel more like a cog in an ego-machine, or some kind of prop to their internal narratives. Disillusioned in the sense, even within these melting pots of change hardly anyone knows how to just be.

And frankly, if people don't possess that freedom and understanding...

What is anyone striving, let alone fighting for?

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
a bit more coming..
escaping from ND with my life..
i had to pull the notebook we used out of the beat up cargo carrier.. the rain got it (figures) but it's intact..
should make it ovr the Divide, today,then have a little bit of time to do the next bit..

thanks fer liking it!!

D

deleted user

a bit more coming..
escaping from ND with my life..
i had to pull the notebook we used out of the beat up cargo carrier.. the rain got it (figures) but it's intact..
should make it ovr the Divide, today,then have a little bit of time to do the next bit..

thanks fer liking it!!

Looking forward to it.

Good luck with the escape.

D

Deleted member 2626

I think we'd all learn a lot by shutting up. Myself included. It's too easy just to talk. To say unnecessary shit really. I get to thinking how I judge the society I ditest most days etc and how judgement is harder or negative aspects of life, when quiet. I can't get angry over dumb shit and chance a negative encounter.

MamaSow

Reaction score
This comment doesn't really do much for my question, but I do appreciate your concerns on the matter. I've been travelling for about three years now, but mostly through intentional communities. It has had its ups-and-downs through different phases of my speaking ability. I think it's easy for someone to say it is hard, from their perspective of using their voice so much. In some ways it is DEFINITELY inconvenient, but for every con there are some pros to not speaking (just like with nearly about anything else). I've found people always kind of adapt though, once the situation is in front of them. It used to be maddening, but now I find it to be an almost zen-like experience in a world full of people with heads full of narratives or whatever piles of justifications are spewing out of them any given day. I've also found it to be a good radar in vetting people, as the highly egoic or neurotic find someone else to bother instead quite rapidly. This is just a few examples that it isn't all bad.

Here's one of the only examples of another mute traveler I've found:

View attachment 38111

Great book if you ever wanna check it out from a library or order it, by the way. He did another one called The Ragged Edge Of Silence specifically about his 17 year vow of silence. Quite inspiring, though he walked everywhere and wasn't trying to catch rides. I suppose I try to model myself after people like him, but see merit in attempting being around people more. While always be prepared to get out of any car or commune to walk an unknown distance to the next possible thing. It is one of the most free feelings I've found.

And just because something is hard doesn't mean someone should support the cruelties of modern life, capitalism, and the soul-crushing empty friendships built around work schedules or condensed into specific repetitive activities. Whether I was a talker, semi-mute, or completely mute I would never enjoy a four-wall prison held together by my suffering for the gain of others. Plus, well you know, that world left me behind a long while ago.

Are you currently in Virginia? That's neat. We're like 45 minutes apart.

Thank you for this post. I appreciate and support your experience and perspectives.

I didn't know about these two books and just ordered them.

One of the reasons that I travel solo is because of my need for deep solitude and silence. I'm more hermit than anything.

The road is the place where we meet who we truly are, without the judgements or reflections of others. It is the true finding one's way home.

Be you, as you are. I'll be over here being me, in solidarity.

Reactions: beersalt
D

deleted user

Thank you for this post. I appreciate and support your experience and perspectives.

I didn't know about these two books and just ordered them.

One of the reasons that I travel solo is because of my need for deep solitude and silence. I'm more hermit than anything.

The road is the place where we meet who we truly are, without the judgements or reflections of others. It is the true finding one's way home.

Be you, as you are. I'll be over here being me, in solidarity.

this, to an extent. solidarity can easily form into unity, under the right circumstances.

D

deleted user

What do you mean by "to an extent"? I would welcome your perspective and experience on all this, if you feel up to sharing it that is.
of course.

so, I meant to express the idea of solitude being wholesome for many of us, although leaving open the possibility of a group, or couple, of vagabonds who can understand that solitude is accessible even without being alone.

I tend to look back at the few I've traveled with and find the most pleasant experience was the one where my road dog and I conversed when we felt the need, rather than with others, who incessantly talk.

so, I'm not sure I'm explaining my point very well, but I hope this helps.

• Stupid
Reactions: creature
D

deleted user

in fact, let me get a better explanation.

there are people that are worth traveling with, because the solitude of one can become the unity of two (or more). it's very dependent on who is involved.

MamaSow

Reaction score
in fact, let me get a better explanation.

there are people that are worth traveling with, because the solitude of one can become the unity of two (or more). it's very dependent on who is involved.

I follow you and feel you. Thank you for taking the time (and effort) to put this into words.

The distinction between solitude and silence is crucial I think. Most of us don't get good silence without solitude. Yet this unity among/with others, in the silence, is truly the heart of the matter.

Grateful for your sharing. I am with you on this.

Reactions: beersalt
D

deleted user

I follow you and feel you. Thank you for taking the time (and effort) to put this into words.

The distinction between solitude and silence is crucial I think. Most of us don't get good silence without solitude. Yet this unity among/with others, in the silence, is truly the heart of the matter.

Grateful for your sharing. I am with you on this.
thank you, I was afraid I may not have been very clear, or perhaps was just completely out of my element.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
So.. we bicycle into the front seat..

Actually much darker than that, but the front wheel scrunched against my leg & a fellow at least 6' tall crammed into the margin between his basket & the seat..
wet bike in van.jpg

the van full of shit being transported..

a large, wet haired Deaf-Mute, shivering from the cold & a teeny, tiny little Chihuahua hunkered down in the foot well..

& we proceed...

notebook story pg1.jpg

poor Pepper..

I don't know how much more there is to say, really, except that I think I learned something about myself..

I’ve worried that someday my hearing will go completely, but this guy was doing fine..

super encouraging..

hell.. we even did some diagnostics...

notebook story pg4.jpg

I'm having some problems uploading images, since the service & tether are crappy, but suffice it to say that the next day was sunny, & I dropped him off in Ventura..

the actual conversation went on for however many hours we cruised together & stopped along the way, but there were at least 20 pages that we wrote..

i keep the pages with me in my collection of treasured mementos..

The really nice thing for me was not only how surprisingly rapidly we were able to speak, but that by writing we conveyed more meaning than simply than by yammering, if only because a little more thought makes a huge amount of difference..

anyways..

just following up..

def a good experience, & i hope he's doing well, still..

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
I met a kid in Denver this year, we didn't have any problem communicating, well except for the normal drunkness on my own part. Kid got around easy and was actually really funny, had the best people watching comments. can't remember his name for the life of me though

D

deleted user

I met a kid in Denver this year, we didn't have any problem communicating, well except for the normal drunkness on my own part. Kid got around easy and was actually really funny, had the best people watching comments. can't remember his name for the life of me though

That's cool.

I feel like I get around better not talking. It's pretty easy to communicate simple things without speech, and there's so much fakeness in the day-to-day I don't have to participate in. It's almost like everyone is a product and constantly trying to sell themselves most of the time, when perceiving it through silence.

I always thought it'd be interesting if I ended up with a non-verbal person to travel with.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads