Has anyone used an aftermarket ALICE frame?

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
I'm still lugging around my old medium hellcat ALICE pack that @Bl3wbyyou kicked down to me two years ago. I'm looking into aftermarket frames now because the heavy ass frame on this thing takes it's toll on my back, but otherwise it's a perfect pack. I'm looking at this one right now:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/tacticaltailormalicepackframestrillscompatible.aspx

I was wondering if any of you had used aftermarket ALICE frames and how well they held up.

There's another one I found but it's made of "fracture resistant polymer" aka plastic, which probably wouldn't last very long.

D

Deleted member 20

The frame is supposed to distribute the weight of a heavy pack in a more ergonomic way while walking long distancs. I bet you could even dump the frame entirely and simply carry a medium alice with straps. Many,many of us have rocked alice pacls over the years. I have done 100 mile humps with a full combat load. Today my pack weight dont go over 60lbs total.

IMO they are battle tested but also old technology.

You could also spend that $80 for a new frane on another pack entirely. But then again im sure you can pick up another surplus frame for like $10 if yours is cracked or something.

Last edited:

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
The frame is supposed to distribute the weight of a heavy pack in a more ergonomic way while walking long distancs. I bet you could even dump the frame entirely and simply carry a medium alice with straps. Many,many of us have rocked alice pacls over the years. I have done 100 mile humps with a full combat load. Today my pack weight dont go over 60lbs total.

IMO they are battle tested but also old technology.

You could also spend that $80 for a new frane on another pack entirely. But then again im sure you can pick up another surplus frame for like $10 if yours is cracked or something.

That's true, but I don't like the way that weight becomes totally unbalanced without the frame. I've tried going without one and it's only really good for me if I'm carrying less than 20lbs which is rarely the case; my back sucks. I've never found a <$100 pack that could hold up for very long, or was comfortable, and would prefer to just upgrade the frame on this one. This pack has been through 2 owners and 7 1/2 years of near-full time traveling total, and is barely showing signs of wear. Not something you can say of many other packs.

@Kim Chee, it's definitely steep, but if there's not another choice, I'd still rather drop the $80 on the frame rather than replace the pack.

E

etpyh

There is a plastic one that was used by the parachute fighters, because the standard metal one broke too easy. So they might last even longer than the classic metal one. And are of course lighter. I think I will get one of those myself if I come across one.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I actually made an improvised frame out of a plastic sign. Its basically the same stuff that they use on the inside of the newer molle assault packs. I had a large with a frame and after about 3 years of use my back had enough.

K

Kim Chee

There is a plastic one that was used by the parachute fighters, because the standard metal one broke too easy. So they might last even longer than the classic metal one. And are of course lighter. I think I will get one of those myself if I come across one.

The alice pack was never issued with a plastic frame. The plastic (composite) frame is probably from a molle pack and it is heavier than aluminum.

D

Deleted member 20

Last edited:
E

etpyh

The alice pack was never issued with a plastic frame. The plastic (composite) frame is probably from a molle pack and it is heavier than aluminum.
They might not have been issued officially, but used anyway. From what I read they are lighter too, but I can't find the weight of the metal frame right now, so I can't confirm it. The plastic DEI 1606 Airborne Assault Frame weights 1.75 lbs though.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
They might not have been issued officially, but used anyway. From what I read they are lighter too, but I can't find the weight of the metal frame right now, so I can't confirm it. The plastic DEI 1606 Airborne Assault Frame weights 1.75 lbs though.

Heh.. That looks like it would crack the first time I throw it off of a car. Ever used one?

K

Kim Chee

I have a medium pack in great shape with frame (aloooominum and strong), cargo shelf (lookitup) and a removable ammo can modification (basically a waterproof hard case which sits on the cargo shelf).

*not sure if cargo shelf will work with afternarket frame.

You don't want an ammo can? No problem I keep.

Offer enough and you get a foam sleeping pad.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
I have a medium pack in great shape with frame (aloooominum and strong), cargo shelf (lookitup) and a removable ammo can modification (basically a waterproof hard case which sits on the cargo shelf).

*not sure if cargo shelf will work with afternarket frame.

You don't want an ammo can? No problem I keep.

Offer enough and you get a foam sleeping pad.

Are you talking about the regular frame? I've got my own medium ALICE kitted out nicely, just trying to find an aftermarket frame is all :)

Think I'm going to end up going with the gen IV MOLLE frame, seems durable enough if I'm careful with it. Also $10 instead of $80-$100 for a metal aftermarket. Might end up paying for a metal one though, I'm very attached to this pack.

K

Kim Chee

Yeah, I went off topic...I have the original frame::woot::

Alice pack is almost universally despised:mad:

I have a niiiiiiice wun (it is a closet princess right now).

If the weight is all that is holding you back from the aluminum frame, drill it:D

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
Yeah, I went off topic...I have the original frame::woot::

Alice pack is almost universally despised:mad:

I have a niiiiiiice wun (it is a closet princess right now).

If the weight is all that is holding you back from the aluminum frame, drill it:D

It's the weight, but it's also the height. I need the extra couple of inches an aftermarket or MOLLE frame would afford me. I could use PVC to mod the stock frame but I don't trust that to hold up, at all. It would probably snap in half the first time I drop it.

Some people I don't like them. I love my ALICE pack. I don't have to worry about beating the shit out of my bag and that's reason enough for me. Osprey is my yuppie brand of choice and every osprey pack I've ever used has fallen apart fairly quickly. The one I have now has lasted the longest. I'd ended up using it for maybe a combined 5 months, and it's running out of life. I don't treat my packs nicely. Conversely, this ALICE pack has seen 7 1/2 years of near-continuous full-time travel and is barely worn at all.

K

Kim Chee

...but it's also the height. I need the extra couple of inches an aftermarket or MOLLE frame would afford me....

Just to let the "secret" out...short frame height is exactly what makes that pack so uncomfortable.

On the other hand, they are quite durable, very inexpensive, and have easily replaceable parts.

If you score an aftermarket frame be sure to keep spares at @Tude's;)

E

etpyh

Heh.. That looks like it would crack the first time I throw it off of a car. Ever used one?
Haven't used it myself , but as said before the parachute fighter used it to replace their metal frames, because the metal frame broke too often. Apparently the plastic frame doesn't break as easy as you would expext, because it is able to bend and absorb the impact force.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads