Has anyone been to Georgia (not the one in the US)? | Squat the Planet

Has anyone been to Georgia (not the one in the US)?

E

etpyh

Hi guys,
I'm currently thinking about going to Georgia either in march or (more likely) somewhen in the summertime. The landscape looks awesome, plenty of cheap beer and food, friendly locals, not too many tourists, sounds good to me. Plus I can fly there form as little as 20€ per round trip, how fucking crazy is that?! So has anyone been there and wants to share his or her experiences?

Hiceadha

Reaction score
Yeah drove a car across Europe and Turkey and then it broke down in a flood in Batumi Georgia. Water in the engine, I sold the banger to a Russian guy called Dimitri then kicked about Batumi for a couple days before hitchhiking back to Europe. Georgians were cool folk, they like Wine and Rugby most speak Russian as a second language but not English. The society is ex-soviet, the people are quite reserved and very nineties (in a fashion and technology sense) but they certainly are friendly and proud people whos history hasn't been kind to them. Its cheap too, I would like to return to hike the mountains. There are opportunities there to visit the illegal countries too like Abakazia or whatever its called. Me and a friend actually made the news when we bought a rubber dingy and floated around in the flood drinking wine.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I was traveling about and working at a hostel in Tbilisi for.. 3/4 months, this past summer/fall. Lovely country and the people are great. Hitchhiking is very easy (especially with a girl, of course). I'm not sure how snowy it will be in the mountains, but anywhere in the North is absolutely beautiful and you must go. Svaneti, Kazbegi, and a bunch of others.

Food, beer, spirits, wine, very cheap. The vegetables are also non-gmo from what people told me. Try the Khachapuri, it's the greatest thing.

Learn a little Russian. At least the very basics. It'll help, as Georgian is bloody difficult.

E

etpyh

Awesome that you can find people for practically any place that have been there on this site. Learning russian is a good point. Would probably help in all eastern european countries, from my experiences russian is still kind of a universal language there. Shamefully I have to admit that so far I have been one of those people who don't even really bother to learn the respective native language and just try to get through with english. I never stayed for too long in non english speaking countries though. Spanish english and russian would probably get you a long way and at least spanish is something I would like too learn for some time bit didn't come around too yet.

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
I met a guy from Georgia who was one of the most insightful motherfuckers I've ever crossed paths with. Buffed floors at Winn Dixie for a living. Ha.

I'm not supposed to be here.

D

deleted user

Ive never been but I had a roommate that did a habitat for humanity type thing over there. Wish I could give a link but I can't find it. He said their are other options too like teaching English. He was given a room in a hostel, provided meals/booze and was paid the equivalent to $200 a month which goes much further there.

https://www.teachaway.com/teach-english-georgia/living-and-working-georgia

I wanna say this is it, at least part of the directory to the full program he did.

Hiceadha

Reaction score
If your from the EU by the way its visa free to go to Georgia or at least it was when we drove in, and we had a Brazilian hitchhiker in the car who they didn't care about and when we were hitchhiking out, the border police never asked us anything about the fact we didn't have a car this time (the car had been stamped into out passports alongside the visa). People are very relaxed there. The picture below is Batumi, the green peugeot 206 estate was ours before the flood killed it and we upgraded to a dingy for mobility.

10603669_1561326997421124_9135287856095341271_n.jpg

Reactions: Zendo999

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads