Greetings world. Before you is the infamous diabolical replicate but never duplicated Fred | Squat the Planet

Greetings world. Before you is the infamous diabolical replicate but never duplicated Fred

Reaction score
Website
about.me
Greetings fellow travelers and unorthodox geniuses of the unconventional. My name is Fred (Frederick if you are mad at me) and I currently live in Parkland, Washington. I live with fellow unconventional outcasts in a tent community hidden from the public eye. I welcome anyone who stands with a Gypsy heart.

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini and wizehop

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
greetings @Fred the German! i'm curious to know more about this gypsy camp, since i'll be up in washington in august.

Reaction score
Website
about.me
Gypsy term as in nomadic. If you venture to Tacoma (a poor man's Seattle) you may hit the suburbs of Parkland - a middle upper class community. On 112th (between Golden Given and Pacific) is a tent community hidden off one of the fields. I live in this area with a bunch of cool characters and some shitty ones as well. It's an interesting place. The area has tons of cheap meth locally referred to as 'poop.' This has interesting social ramifications. And the highlight off oddities is the tent community, currently locked in a civil war. I am an oddity too, but I am freaking awesome. I welcome anyone who wants to pass through and can provide shelter, food, medical attention, advice, friendship, protection, and companionship. My specific area with the tent community is in transition (terraforming, cleaning, building) and has currently three other members aligned with me: Rob, Darcy, and Shelby. Sadly there has been a lot of theft going on with the outcasted fractions. My group has closed off our area to unwelcome elements and is always on guard.

Anyone who has no evil intent is welcome to come through. We are good people who believe in communal living and doing the right thing. Money holds no value - moral ethics do. I will upload pictures of our community for the rest of you to see. I welcome any questions and am willing to be of service to anyone who seeks it. All are welcome. I'll be back within the hour with hopefully some uploads (my cell is trashed and my camera sucks - been warned) but please visit us and see the chaos and beauty that is our tent community.

Reaction score
Website
about.me
Here are some pics:

IMG_20160613_151958.jpg
IMG_20160613_152406.jpg
IMG_20160613_152414.jpg
IMG_20160613_151554.jpg
IMG_20160613_151524.jpg
IMG_20160613_151432.jpg
IMG_20160613_151305.jpg
pallet_cabin_6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
pallet_cabin_6-jpg.30927.jpg

what's the story behind this structure?

physics

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
You intrigue me, Fred. Why is it that you identify as diabolical, and yet value high moral standards? What does diabolical mean to you?

Who are you, man in the hat?
For some odd reason, I read your post with the voice of the mad hatter from Once Upon A Time in my head... haha

Reactions: Fred the German
Reaction score
Website
about.me
View attachment 30928

That is a pallet house. In recent years, internationally speaking, the world has seen an overpopulation and refugee problem. . There have been challenges made to design cheap living quarters to address the need for shelter amongst these people. Many screen using cargo containers, used for shipping goods on ships. Get a solid welder and bam you have doors and windows.

I say blah to that madness! There before you sits the even cheaper and much more practical solution: homes made from pallets. It takes 60 pallets to make a pallet home.

In my camp, we are all rocking nylon tents. Many of us have been living like this for over 9 years. I'm trying to get my crew to ditch the tents for a more permanent structure: the pallet home. We actually have an abundance of pallets. For one person to scavange 60 pallets would take less then 8 hours. We are literally overflowing with pallets here in Parkland.

Getting the blue prints for building a pallet home is a 10 second "google" issue.

If we, my crew in Parkland, invested a few hours of our time to build our own pallet homes, we have gone from a typical tent community to a real community digging in.

The land we are on is locked in a viscous battle between the county and the original land owner who fled the country facing tax evasion charges. I'm no legal expert BUT we now are legally allowed to have "squatters" rights - you can't just uproot us without notice. Legally this is now our home.

Since we migrated into this area we have dramatically cleaned the area up. Before we moved in the area was a notorious dump for seedy construction crews. We cleaned it up.

Now if we start putting structures up in this 'abandoned' field - does that give us legal rights to claim this 'abandoned' field?

According to the law, we are exploiting the homestead act and within a three year period the land would legally become our land. We just have to prove we moved in and claimed ownership of the abandoned area making improvements and investing in developing it.

I actually challenge our crew to go further: claim some of the completely abandoned properties that liter our area. Many of us are seasoned tradesman. Framing, drywall, siding, and roofing should pose no real obstacles.

If we as a collective got organized and worked as group for the joint interest of our community - what could happen is nothing short of amazing.

There are currently two groups in Tacoma that each claimed abandoned houses and remodeled them. One group has now legal ownership, the other is at the end part of the ownership claim (electricity and water has already been restored).

So my vision isnt out of a fairy tale, but grounded in reality. We just need to unify and increase our numbers. Our motivation has to be greater then self gain. A self serving mindset must change to the good of the many. A true community which functions as one well oiled machine serving to benefit all its members. Ideally a place where money means (excuse the pun) squat.

I'm not talking some Simon and Garfunkel hippie community but one based pallet_cabin_8.jpg images.jpg tiny-cabin-free-pallet-wood-14.jpg
pallet_cabin_8.jpg
images.jpg
tiny-cabin-free-pallet-wood-14.jpg
pallet_cabin_8.jpg
images.jpg
pallet_cabin_8.jpg
images.jpg
pallet_cabin_8.jpg
images.jpg
on elevating one another as a team. We all feed or we all starve.

It's fascinating to the reasons so many of us drop out of society and its social norms. I served 14 years with the 75th Army Ranger Regiment. I am a second degree receiver of the Purple Cross - was injured twice in combat. When I returned to America, something in me was different and I separated myself from our current society. The reason: I just don't understand them and they can't comprehend me. So I separated myself from their world (God I sound like a hermit).

In my journey I found others and others found me. We united into this 'gypsy' caravan of misfits and outcasts. There is no leadership, each member holds one vote. Any dispute, we collectively vote, most votes wins. Simple yet effective.

I am trying to elevate us as a group into a higher level.

Anyways I am here to meet others, exchange ideas, be of assistance to the cause, offer shelter and increase our numbers here in Parkland by networking out to others like us.

I attached more pics of pallet houses:

View attachment 30928

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini
Reaction score
Website
about.me
You intrigue me, Fred. Why is it that you identify as diabolical, and yet value high moral standards? What does diabolical mean to you?

For some odd reason, I read your post with the voice of the mad hatter from Once Upon A Time in my head... haha

Mad hatter is probably not too far off. I am an individual who prefers taking the road south of the road less traveled. I'm an oddity for sure.

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads