Greetings from Florida

Vinny Herman

Reaction score
Hi all! Found this forum completely by accident and it looks like it will be a great website to utilize.

I'm 42, a transplant from PA now in FL. I've always been interested in the hobo life. I am looking forward to the day I can just say f**k it and just go!

My interests are all over the map. Woodworking, gardening, hiking, survivalism, hobo life, religion, history, trains and of course, the hobo life.

Have a great day!

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
you are "looking forward" to the day..

can you throw away *everything* you own, down to a backpack, or maybe a small truckbed's worth of shit?

i mean, if you don't have much, yer good to go.
i only say this because you used the word "hobo".

"hobo" is kind of a word like "christian"..

there's the real thing & the imaginary thing & the difference between the two is about the same as when gravitation ceases to be an influence on bodies that carry mass..

i dunno.. are you saying you want to be a hobo when you retire?

i'm not being impolite, i'm just pointing to the fact that you can die, with a distinctly increased probability, at any moment, once you throw your shit away enough that you don't need much more than what a horse or two can carry..

how do you want to "go"?

walk?
bike?
jump?
tramp?
boat?

if you want to "just" go, throw away most of what you own, with no more than a box or two kept in a hole or someplace you think will be safe, and then just fucking go.

is the day you are looking forward to on the calendar?

what preparations are you making?
so you can return?

lots of threads on here about what your backpack needs. you can outfit in about 96 hours..

everyone is welcome here, voyeurs & broken bodies alike..

we are not, however, cartoons or entertainment episodes..

'interests' have nothing to do with just fucking going..

take the hardest day of work you have ever had, add the scariest episode where you have feared for your life, combine it with the most fucking pain any injury has ever caused you & put it into a one week period where you have been as sick as you can remember, & then divide by 30, and you will get about an average 2 or 3 month period of travel, where nothing actually goes catastrophically wrong..

unless it *does* go wrong, in which case you don't just "just deal with it", but have to get your ass out of whatever fuckup the current week has brought, so long as it isn't fully life threatening..

chbrist, i lovbe m y sake'/..

i am just warning you about the La la la s..

the La la la s will fucking eat you.. first chance they get.. unless you are trying to *not* la la la..

savy?

time kills..

time fucking kills.

as surely as dishonesty, hate & fear..

welcome to StP, mofo

& God bless you & keep your soul..

unless you really do it,

in which case...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
welcome to the site vinny! we have a bunch of resources here to learn from, so just take your time to look around, do a lot of reading and always use the search :)

of course, if you have any questions about using the site, let a staff member know, and if you have questions about traveling, post a new thread :D

Reactions: Tude

MilkaNoobie

Reaction score
Hello Vinny I'm Milka or Milk if you prefer... I've traveled most of America and parts of Western Europe... My interests are rubber tramping (van, rv, car,living) and cross country bicycling. If there's anything I can help you with I'm great at research

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
btw, vinny.. i don't mean to be an asshole.. it's just a genetic thing..

definitely good luck, but also definitely grasp that having an adventure is different from living a lifestyle, so prepare accordingly.

when you say "fuck it." & go, be carefull of expecting anything.
to varying degrees there will always be issues of pain, hunger, stress, lonliness, fear, actual mortal fucking danger, possible violence & whatever else cannot be either entirely prepared for or controlled..

none of us who do whatever they do here do it because it is easy or in any way secure.

we do it (if we are lucky) for beauty, truth & friendship.

nonetheless, none of the other things go away..

what you will find, though, should you endure the first shocks & survive the basic perils are comrades..

the greatest resource we have on this site is each other.

i don't think there is one, single constructive individual here who wouldn't share soup with you & watch your back at a campfire, if you that's what you needed for your rest & strength..

don't make the mistake of thinking this is a pretty picture.

it is, in fact, a kind of war.

to be kind in adversity, to share with little, to endure the demands of simplicity, & to pass the most difficult days by virtue of one's wits & skills, for the sole purpose of being people who can bear the damning edge of self-honesty enough that at least we scab over before we bleed to death entirely..

don't look to see only what there is to see..
look at places you don't want to, too..

anyways.. good luck, & if yer down, you'll get there..

peace,

j

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads