Greenhorn with a hard-on for Stobe The Hobo | Squat the Planet

Greenhorn with a hard-on for Stobe The Hobo

Wizard Snack

Reaction score
My goal mid-late 2018 was to hike the entirety of the A.T. NOBO which I will begin in May. After one day a train hopping video appears in my youtube suggested and now I'm hooked. Stobe the Hobo and others have proved an inspiriation to me and I intend on catching out of Maine or GA sometime late this year or spring next year to start adventuring. To anyone in the ATL area who is willing to trade hobo knowledge: I am eager to learn. (EDIT: I am a 20yr old male. The lady depicted is my gf flying a joke sign I made with a friend.)

Attachments

• 20190209_210105.jpg
    20190209_210105.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

BilgeRat

Reaction score
My goal mid-late 2018 was to hike the entirety of the A.T. NOBO which I will begin in May. After one day a train hopping video appears in my youtube suggested and now I'm hooked. Stobe the Hobo and others have proved an inspiriation to me and I intend on catching out of Maine or GA sometime late this year or spring next year to start adventuring. To anyone in the ATL area who is willing to trade hobo knowledge: I am eager to learn.
In atl can share some stuff if you need it

D

Deleted member 125

You might want to reconsider who you have a hard in for. Considering the details about his death and all and having watched his videos I can say he wasn't exactly the safest rider especially for a green horn to look up to.

Welcome to stp.

Wizard Snack

Reaction score
You might want to reconsider who you have a hard in for. Considering the details about his death and all and having watched his videos I can say he wasn't exactly the safest rider especially for a green horn to look up to.

Welcome to stp.
He was certainly not a gold standard but his documentation and commentary were unmatched. I feel as I meet more people that they will replace him in my mind as heroic or great. For now he is a good inspiration even if his habits and safety were subpar.

D

Deleted member 125

He was certainly not a gold standard but his documentation and commentary were unmatched. I feel as I meet more people that they will replace him in my mind as heroic or great. For now he is a good inspiration even if his habits and safety were subpar.

A bit of unsolicited advice, safety when riding freight should never be subpar. Also don't put people on pedestals by thinking of them as heroic or great when it comes to riding or yer gonna be let down big time.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Welcome to stp.

I respectfully disagree. Although many of his habits in riding safety were subpar, the guy basically is the one who got me to start riding. I hold the man in high esteem.

@Wizard Snack welcome to StP. When I say I disagree with @SlankyLanky it was mainly because those stobe videos have a wealth of knowledge to be learned from.

However. Stobe had been riding for quite a while, and as with many veterans of any activity, I believe he became complacent, hence trying to walk across a narrow trestle that is know to be frequented by Amtrak.

Do not rush into this. This website has a wealth of knowledge to dive into, as well as outside resources to consult WAY before you grab your first ladder...

Try reading the stickys in the train hopping section first, then read the threads with people talking about their first time riding. I literally read every single thread on this website before I caught out my first time.

Try picking up some books, a railroad atlas, and hitting up some railfan websites and assign yourself some homework before you consider this.

Riding trains is not a glorified lifestyle. It is dirty, difficult, extremely dangerous (not just because of the trains) and illegal. Take the advice of experienced riders (I, myself, am still pretty much a greenhorn) on this website. The wealth of knowledge is endless and very important.

All that said, welcome, you found the right place, and safe travels.

D

Deleted member 22934

The appalacian trail and the pacific crest trail are both STILL on my bucket list. Someday, buddy, someday

And what ARE the details of Stobes death? How exactly did he die?

Wizard Snack

Reaction score
Thankyou everyone for your warm welcome and advice! I will hold safety in utmost concern when hopping and read through as much of the threads here as I can before catching out. I may take a short trip to Alabama or just try catching out my first time for only a day or two to get my feet wet. If anyone is planning on catching out of ATL soon I would love to join and learn.

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The appalacian trail and the pacific crest trail are both STILL on my bucket list. Someday, buddy, someday

And what ARE the details of Stobes death? How exactly did he die?
Stobie was killed on November 8th, 2017 in Maryland by an Amtrak train. I talked to him privately on the phone a few weeks before his death. He will be and is sadly missed!!! :(

D

Deleted member 8978

Long before Stobe the Hobo ever put his foot down and started traveling, the first two videos that got me hooked were none other than @Matt Derrick and his two videos where he rode throughout most of the Eastern and Midwest states. But regardless, I only look to these riders as inspirations. It's better to be an inspiration to someone rather than trying to be a hero the way I would put it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Long before Stobe the Hobo ever put his foot down and started traveling, the first two videos that got me hooked were none other than @Matt Derrick and his two videos where he rode throughout most of the Eastern and Midwest states. But regardless, I only look to these riders as inspirations. It's better to be an inspiration to someone rather than trying to be a hero the way I would put it.

aww thanks man, wasn't sure anyone watched those old videos anymore. i hope to be making a lot more later this year.

TayNZ

Kiwi Vagabond
Reaction score
Welcome! Stobie 1 Kenobie was a legend and an inspiration to me as well. I love his philosophical rants. Good Luck and Safe Travels.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
aww thanks man, wasn't sure anyone watched those old videos anymore. i hope to be making a lot more later this year.
Whare does a guy find said videos? Been lurking around here since 2011 and have never seen a @Matt Derrick hop vid!!! Like wtf yo! I guess I never knew to look so never tried.... todays mission? I think yes.

D

Deleted member 8978

I put the links (green color) in my previous post. If you have a phone/tablet, you should be able to tap it. On a Windows/mac, you should be able to click it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
wow i haven't watched those videos in quite some time. damn the michigan video is sooo low resolution... i think it's 320p or maybe even 240p! i remember that was back when digital cameras were in their infancy and we were many years away from devices that could do anything close to HD!

Reactions: RoadFlower33

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads