Grapple? | Squat the Planet

Grapple?

T

tennesseejed

Not sure what this stuff is, seems to me a liquor distilled from maple syrup. It's home made and the label just says grapple 2016. Any idea?

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Probably shitty grape/apple liquor that they sweetened up with some maple syrup to make more palatable. You can brew maple sap beer, but I'm pretty sure a straight distilled liquor from the syrup is impossible. You could use it in place of white sugar in a mash and then distill that, but you would still need corn, potatoes, fruit whatever as a base and unless you're sitting on a large amount of maple syrup that you got for free it really wouldn't make any sense. Even when making the sap beer you still pasteurize and then add hops and yeast.

T

tennesseejed

Good info! Thanks. All I know is its very alcoholic and tastes delectable. And it's very possible thatthis was distilled mostly from syrup, because an aquaintance of mine makes tons of syrup.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Ya pretty much the only people I could see using the syrup as a mash are owners of an industrial syrup operation. Pretty sure you'd wanna use around a gallon of syrup per gallon of corn which would be like $200 worth of syrup to make probably less than a gallon of shine. I know that in industrial syrup production there's a byproduct they call "cooking syrup" which is basically the dark ends of the tanks that gets a little over heated, I could see someone using a bunch of that to make some farm liquor.

T

tennesseejed

Its prob something someone made out of leftover grapes and apples or juice and used too much sugar and yeast, makes for a thick sugary vermouth/port type wine.

It's definitely got some maple syrup in it, and yes I'm guessing they just added it to the apple/grape wine. They produce alot of cider, apple wine and run a maple sugar shack.

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
Not sure what this stuff is, seems to me a liquor distilled from maple syrup. It's home made and the label just says grapple 2016. Any idea?

I just figured out the branding conundrum. The person who labeled said beverage was trying to be clever in a Madison Ave. kinda way. They conflated Grown Up with Apple and Grape to make Grapple. "The Grown Up Apple/Grape Drink!"

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads