good towns in michigan?! traveling there, have no idea where in the state we're headed

Reaction score
so a friend and i are hitching out of town tomorrow and have decided on the state of Michigan as our destination cause we wanna see the great state and visit the lakes. however, we have no idea where the party's at.

haha. so, maybe not where the party's at, but we're looking for interesting towns with a lotta character, places with a lotta culture, and cities with a good size traveler population or who are traveler friendly.

so let us know!

Reaction score
soapybum - what did you like about muskegon and grand haven in particular? curious to know more about those places.

but yooo we're probs defs gonna drop by ann arbor, and one of the reasons was because when i checked the international communes website for their listing of communes and communities in michigan, ann arbor had the most of them by far, haha, so thus it must be at least a littleeee chill, or at least the people there must be at least a little open-minded.

graven

Reaction score
Watch your back in Ann Arbor. It's not as friendly as it once was. Enjoy, but be aware that the town was/is trying to improve it's "image" and you might get some hassle from the local cops.

Fishkiss

Reaction score
Ann arbor...Detroit of course..trumbullplex..monroe quarry there has been my spot for a while..great rockhounding in mi.kalamazzoo..bells brewery...work north it gets even bettter...lots of beaches...mountains in the UP eh...I spend a lot of time here..shoot a message to me if you have any questions or need exacts

REDRUM

Reaction score
Come Northwest near Traverse City. We are staying at a horse ranch with over 40 horses. They have a rustic cabin available to crash in if youre passing through. They are traveler friendly and might even feed you. Let me know if you want more details.

Reaction score
I'm surprised barefootonbabylon hasn't chimed in...she is a michigan homebum and loves to give tours...
Hey I'm new to this, been hopping trains and into the culture my whole life. glad to find a net group of like minded people. I live in Owosso, MI near some good hopping points, got a house, open to having anyone traveling through just hit me up

Reactions: roughdraft

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads