gogol bordello

mj27

Reaction score
is a band ive recently descovered... i know i'm late but oh well. id always heard start wearing purple which i found kind of annoying... but i've fallen in love with their other stuff. wonderlust king, american wedding, alcohol to name farorites. ive been on the search for similar bands. any ideas? or good music in general... was also looking into a lot of math rock too. so any recommendations?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i fuckin love this gogol bordello video!....epic

one of my favorites is the Dandelion Junk Queens... if you like accordians and musical saws and gypsy soundin type shit...you might dig 'em

that last one is from my youtube channel... got a few travel slideshows with music you might like....but yeah

soapybum

Reaction score
Some good mathcore bands are botch and the fall of troy. cant remember what the name of it is but after FoT broke up the lead singer/gtrist did another project which is like FoT version2. just wikipedia the shit to find out the band name. For gypsy folk i'd say check out railyard ghosts, they're a street band from the dirty river collective.

Reaction score
Young thread, I get to be the first to post Blackbird Raum:

As far as math rock goes, you might have heard of them already but Battles is great:

Reactions: landpirate

Bandito Dan

Reaction score
If you want actual gypsy (Romani) music, try Taraf De Haiduks, Kocani Orkestar, Goran Bregovic, Boban Markovic, and Fanfare Ciocarilia.
Devotchka is cool for more indie-gypsy-whatever. They're kind of like a really mellow Gogol (That's a pretty loose analogy, because they're not really all that Gogol-y). They did the music for Little Miss Sunshine, if you're familiar with that movie. Shantel does some interesting mixing of electronica and Romani music, which might interest you. I don't really like him that much, but his music does have a lot of energy that you might like if you like Gogol. You might like Beirut too. They're not nearly as energetic as Gogol, but they have similar instrumentation and a lot of eastern European influence and they play some of the prettiest music I've ever heard, look up their album "The Gulag Orkestar" for some their more Eastern European stuff.
Blackbird Raum is awesome, though it's more just dark sounding, not necessarily 'gypsy', but still, I can see the connection. A Hawk and A Hacksaw is also really great. They're more technical and just really good musicians. Not so punky and loud though, but still check them out. Look up Dark Dark Dark's first album, "The Snow Magic", it's amazing. Really melancholy and...dark. It's one of my favorite albums. They're newer stuff is also really good but it's less "gypsy", and more piano and stuff. But still awesome. And I guess last would have to be Hurray For the Riff Raff. Sort of a mix between American Folk and eastern European sounding stuff. Real tight.

DregeDE

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Yesssss dark dark dark - wild go and wild goose chase are my favorite but then again they are thier most popular - fuck elephant micah, his original version sucked fat herpies cock

mj27

Reaction score
i fuckin love this gogol bordello video!....epic

one of my favorites is the Dandelion Junk Queens... if you like accordians and musical saws and gypsy soundin type shit...you might dig 'em

that last one is from my youtube channel... got a few travel slideshows with music you might like....but yeah

what is that song in last video you posted really like the accordion in it.

DavidMD

Reaction score
Check out Triciclo Circus Band, they are pretty much a Oaxacan gypsy folk band from Mexico. They mainly play in public areas like streets or parks so people can see them for free. I think it's very much in the gypsy spirit.

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i found out about gogol a few months back. i love it. did you know bassnectar produced one of his albums. lol

Bandito Dan

Reaction score
If we're putting down Mallory and Mogli in here, then I'll add a few like those. Squinch Owl (always in my favorite 3 for sure), An Historic, Early Noise, Sons of An Illustrious Father, Wood Spider, and Thy Courage Quail.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads