godamnnn i hate this security bullshit..

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
i have been trying to respond to threads for the past fucking week..
using firefox 52 with just a few addons..

i hate the security shit i need to worry about..
not StP security stuff, but pissy fucking little browser add on shit..

on the good side i have destroyed 3 fucking computers in rage..

on the bad side i have not been able to post meaningfully, except from my phuking fohn..

i am goddamned pissed..

i am nearly fucking enraged.

this is my last computer, just a netbook, & it has barely, barely survived..

like barely..

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
captain kirk was a fucking fascist..

Omg this made me laugh so hard.
Sorry you're having computer issues. May I suggest perhaps backing up your important stuff, do a hard reset to the computer and start using any other browser than Firefox? I've never had a good experience w Firefox or explorer, I personally use safari and love it.

What's the main issue as far as "security stuff" goes? Im no tech wiz but Im alright w simple computer stuff. In sure @Matt Derrick.could be of better help thou lol

Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Reaction score
Why is destroying computers a good thing? Haha it sounds like you need some technical advice. I'm no computer genius like @Matt Derrick but you should switch your browser to google chrome. It's better than firefox

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
I hate typing on the fine. Damn thing wants to change my words all the time.

BTW, I'm of the anything, but Microsoft browser. Try Vivaldi, what do you have to loose?

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
yo there's nothing wrong with firefox. i use the pissy little addons adblock+ and ghostery along with duckduck go searchengine and that quells my paranioa.

you can probably turn off autocomplete in settings.

Yep, ghostery, disconnect.me, ad block plus, script blocker, duckduckgo or startpage. It's a wonder the internet even works anymore with all the shit u have to run to block out an the bullshit SEO ads

Reactions: somn
D

Deleted member 8978

Although I have Firefox installed, I still use Chrome a lot. Firefox keeps "disabling" add ons due to "incompatibility" and I can't get around it. So I was like fuck it.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
ugh - I understand the frustration - I hate coming onto an emergency that someone needs something right then, housing or other and ... I'm on my android phone and on a bumpy bus. Screw typing at that point LOL! I can contact but not do my best with the phone. OK so out comes tablet - s'ok. But I'm rather stuck on having computer access. Feel for ya John.

Reactions: Shwillam

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
it ilwbe.9ykbrows4r, so much..

it isn't the browser, so much..

in the past you could pretty well much pull down the curtains & be done..

but now?

first line above was a lagging cryptokeyboard program.
Tor?or Tails? great stuff, but bandwidth sucks..

the same is generally true with free VPNs & proxyies *if* you can trust them..

& fucking port setting & traffic?
please give me a goddamned sledgehammer..

if i want to use my native internet connection?
spoof the fucking MAC, change the DNS (maybe), encrypt the fucking keyboard, halt the fucking scripts, set a detonator on cookies, spoof the referrers & hope you don't have to worry too much about what you fucking whitelist so that whatever you goddamned type actually shows up..

what a goddamned pain in the ass..

Reactions: DrewSTNY

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Yep, ghostery, disconnect.me, ad block plus, script blocker,

another tip is that you can accomplish all the same tasks as the plugins above by using uBlock Origin and enabling the appropriate filters. it's also open source and constantly updated.

• Useful

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i beileve ublock has a social media filter that makes disconnect obsolete

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
i have been trying to respond to threads for the past fucking week..
using firefox 52 with just a few addons..

i hate the security shit i need to worry about..
not StP security stuff, but pissy fucking little browser add on shit..

on the good side i have destroyed 3 fucking computers in rage..

on the bad side i have not been able to post meaningfully, except from my phuking fohn..

i am goddamned pissed..

i am nearly fucking enraged.

this is my last computer, just a netbook, & it has barely, barely survived..

like barely..

If you need an extra 'pooter I've got some extras, like an x220 thinkpad. Running Ubuntu and it's nice and zippy. Does the address you gave to cornelius in the PM work?

i beileve ublock has a social media filter that makes disconnect obsolete

Wow that's great to know. I just enabled the social media lists and uninstalled disconnect. Thanks!

While we're on the topic of security.. another good addon that I use - and I would be very surprised if you didn't - is HTTPS Everywhere (EFF, open source)

I get pretty tinfoil-y in my security customizations even though there's no real reason to. Firefox is the easiest browser for this as the settings in about:config are extensive

Last edited:

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
@Matt Derrick, thanks for the tip on uBock. I also didn't realize that Ghostery was a shill. I like HTTPS everywhere a lot and tend to want to run NoScript, but it has a tendency to break websites since a large portion are script based.

I have started testing the hardened version of the tor package in Zorin, not entirely certain what the hardened features are as I have just gotten the exe running.

@zim, do you have a lightweight desktop that I could buy off you? Looking for at least something with an i5 in a micro FF. Not really looking for a laptop as I have a tablet and access to a laptop for work, but I want to get a separate desktop for linux and experimentation.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
@Matt Derrick, thanks for the tip on uBock. I also didn't realize that Ghostery was a shill. I like HTTPS everywhere a lot and tend to want to run NoScript, but it has a tendency to break websites since a large portion are script based.

I have started testing the hardened version of the tor package in Zorin, not entirely certain what the hardened features are as I have just gotten the exe running.

@zim, do you have a lightweight desktop that I could buy off you? Looking for at least something with an i5 in a micro FF. Not really looking for a laptop as I have a tablet and access to a laptop for work, but I want to get a separate desktop for linux and experimentation.

I have a love/hate relationship with NoScript. it breaks everything and it's a pain in the ass, but it does make your browser much much more secure.

And yeah, the whole ghostery controversy was making lots of a waves a few years ago. They're total sellouts.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads