getting stick 'n poke to work?

trotsky

Reaction score
so my friend and I tried a few times last night to get stick 'n poke tattoos to work.
We had some inkflow issues at first, the india ink wasn't really getting to the tip of the needle, so we probably should have wrapped more thread around the needle. So we tried using pen ink which went in better but didn't stay when the excess was wiped away. I'm guessing from the lack of blood that we might not have gone in deep enough? (we went in about the thickness of a penny.) It's now the morning after and it doesn't hurt at all. I did try to rub more ink in the holes afterwards but I feel like that's just wishful thinking.

only other thing I can think of is maybe we were doing the actual tattooing wrong? we went straight in and out vertically. Do we have to do more of a scratching motion with it? My friend tried slash and pour on himself when I was asleep and it seems to have worked pretty well.

Any advice?

Squidaroo

Reaction score
go more of an angle and try taping a few pins together heat it up then get the ink on there......

Reactions: litterlife

Scuz

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
From experience with stick n poke, the ink doesn't stay as well. Slash and poor seems to work better, but then again me and my friend didn't do any research on it and just went by what we heard when we tried stick n poke

• Haha

farmer john

Reaction score
penny should be the ticket use good india ink go in twist and pull out straight in and out for shading use multiple sewing machine needles close together dnt fuck with pen ink it will reject maybe not now but 2 5 10 years down the line it will keep the thread wrapped pretty close to the tip

trotsky

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It seems like the problem was not wrapping the thread far enough down the needle. Was going for some norse runes so I dunno how that'd work with slash/pour. But it seems like stick and poke is definitely worth another shot.

vandalette

Reaction score
Personally i like to use at least 3 needle wrapped together and i wrap the thread pretty close to the tip and push til i feel the pop of the skin. I found that stamp ink comes out darker then Indian ink. What also works is (if you have access to one) a hollow needle, its sharper and it holds the ink in it better then thread does.

p.s. stick and poke always takes a while, you gotta go over it and over it til it looks sold.

slothhead

Reaction score
I usually go over the design once and then go over it until the dots turn into a line. Wrap the thread to almost the tip of the needle and then once you start stabbing the thread will get pushed back with the skin. I haven't tried using more then one needle but I'd like to try.

FLoP

Reaction score
i use a regular sewing needle and cotton thread. i try to poke as straight as possible so the ink does blow out and go off course. draw it on with a pen then fill it in. going deep enough to pop is key. ive done a few friends as well as myself and they come out great if you put effort into it. if you use 3 needles you get a little triangle so youll have to hit the same spot again, but twist the rig BEFORE you poke the second or third time. and try to get as much done before the skin starts to swell. the ink wont stay as well and the skin will actually indent and make it harder to finish.

keg

Reaction score
yeah that qtip is the way to go no matter how you do it,just to get more ink in there.And anyone who wants to try the slash way..if your kinda old it does not work so well(white scars,etc)did it a alot that way when i was in jr high but now i am old as dirt shit does not work as well.

Smell The Magic

Reaction score
This is one that i did a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have stayed in there, i think the trick is to go as deep as you can! Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20130310_180140.jpg
    IMG_20130310_180140.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 4,022

brayden klatt

Reaction score
yeah man all good advise just make sure you dont screw it up like i did
now i gotta upside down peace sign on my arm that isnt even a circle XD
no regrets its about the memories tho rite?

Reactions: Ethan Mathers

Ethan Mathers

Reaction score
Website
foralltheliving.blogspot.com
yeah man all good advise just make sure you dont screw it up like i did
now i gotta upside down peace sign on my arm that isnt even a circle XD
no regrets its about the memories tho rite?

haha yea i remeber dat broXD fun times

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads