George Orwell on his first night sleeping rough | Squat the Planet

George Orwell on his first night sleeping rough

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
I've been reading through Orwell's letters and this one about his first night (of many) sleeping in a field I found pretty charming. He was 17 at the time and a student at Eton, the most prestigious school in England. It foreshadows the rough life he was to lead in later years living homeless-by-choice in spite of his middle-class upbringing. He became disgusted with middle-class mores, and immersed himself among those dregs of society who had been left behind in Britain's imperialist expansion.
I think we can all relate to this experience.

Orwell.png

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone who has not read Orwell's monumental Down and out in Paris and London needs to right now; the You Can't Win of France/Britain, with less crime, but the same old-time bum vibe.

The first half is about being a kitchen peon in Paris, the second half about being homeless in London.

One of the best books you will ever read.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
blah blah blah....

I sleep in the woods when Im not welcome at family and friends ....

it's not that dramatic...

when your not getting along... you take a walk.

Bushpig

Reaction score
Awwwww! Poor guy only got about 5 hours sleep and had to walk 4 miles!

I'm not flexing muscle, but really, he could have had it much worse. It's a great read, and I've enjoyed a few of his books (not Down and Out, but I plan to) but that's a pretty easy first experience on the road. I'm glad he saw it as an adventure, at least.

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

roguetrader

Reaction score
cool, I never realised Orwell came to the South West, I've lived in all 3 places mentioned above... Seaton, Plymouth & Looe - you would have to walk a bloody long way from Plymouth Station to find a farmer's field nowadays !

MFB

Reaction score
So gooood. Reading Orwell, London, and Kerouac when I was a kid was probably the the most influential in my desire to travel.

For anyone who has spent time in kitchens Down and Out is a poignant recap of kitchen life.
He talks about how good it smells when you final get off and out and breathe that smell of petrol and life.
and how it never occurs to you that somebody is actually going to eat what you are making. Youre just making it to specifications of how it should look. Such a great book!

Glass Roads

Reaction score
Kind of inspiring that he went from a 17 year old kid at a prestigious school proud of sleeping 5 hours and walking 4 miles (but would not repeat it), to somebody getting into the shit of the Spanish Civil War.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads