2021 Jamboree - Gas generator? | Squat the Planet

2021 Jamboree Gas generator?

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2021 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I just wanted to start a thread about the possibility of using a gas generator for power out on the island. I can get a cheapo one for about $150, and I don't mind paying for it out of pocket, but I'm wondering if there's any specific rules/laws about using one out on cypress island. @iamwhatiam do you know anything about that?

if folks think it's a bad idea, we can still use battery banks but there's a decent possibility we might run out of juice out there.

this is the generator I'm looking at currently:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085LS54CL/?tag=squattheplan-20

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Don't think there's any rules about it

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
With generators you tend to get what you pay for. $180 is crazy cheap for a 1000w, especially now. Personally I'd check craigslist for a used Honda eu2000 before buying that thing.

roguetrader

Reaction score
I've had a few of these cheap 2 stroke generators... the electricity that they produce isn't the smoothest / cleanest, so lighting tends to flicker in an irritating manner and I am always a bit wary of running laptops / games consoles direct, with no UPS or similar...

also the exhaust note they produce is pretty unpleasant, droning away for hours in the background - but if you spend the time building a little enclosure you can muffle this sound quite well... unfortunately just using a very long hookup cable isn't the answer to the noise issue, this generally leads to a problem called 'voltage drop'...

personally, for a small weekend party I would be more inclined to buy or borrow 2 (poss 3) large batteries, around the 110 amp hour size, and use these in conjunction with a cheap DC to AC inverter... most everyday electric equipment doesn't use that much power (it's only things that produce heat that are a mega drain e.g heaters / cookers) - in fact if you make a list of the equipment that you want to use, along with the rough amount of hours per day, you can calculate roughly how much power you need stored - and work out how many fully charged batteries you would need.... things like modern lighting and USB speakers use so little power that one battery generally lasts for days....

any questions give me a shout, I've been low cost off grid for decades ! and @Matt Derrick if you do buy that generator, remember to buy the bottle of 2 stroke oil to mix with the gasoline ⛽

• Useful
Reactions: iamwhatiam

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
personally, for a small weekend party I would be more inclined to buy or borrow 2 (poss 3) large batteries, around the 110 amp hour size, and use these in conjunction with a cheap DC to AC inverter... most everyday electric equipment doesn't use that much power (it's only things that produce heat that are a mega drain e.g heaters / cookers) - in fact if you make a list of the equipment that you want to use, along with the rough amount of hours per day, you can calculate roughly how much power you need stored - and work out how many fully charged batteries you would need.... things like modern lighting and USB speakers use so little power that one battery generally lasts for days....
this is literally just a few days and im leaving it behind with whoever wants to keep it when i leave, so i think the battery setup isn't very realistic for our scenario. thank you for the suggestion though!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Niiiice, okay then I'll just pitch that into the food/drinks/gas fund. Thanks for picking that up!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
  • Love It
Reactions: Matt Derrick

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Niiiice, okay then I'll just pitch that into the food/drinks/gas fund. Thanks for picking that up!
Ran the generator today to make sure it runs and provides power. Thing purrrs like a sleepy kitten. I think a 50ft extension cord and we'll be plenty fine. Its not very loud at all.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Reactions: Matt Derrick
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads