free cell service? | Squat the Planet

free cell service?

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Cellphones are just transmitters/receivers, right? How do service providers monopolize access? Aren't cells just cb radios? There's gotta be a way to bypass providers' ID protocols, and use the airwaves as ghost transmitters.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks man. I need to understand comtech in much greater detail. I don't know the difference between UHF and vhf freqs. I suppose if it were that easy, every poobutt would be using their cells as mobile ham/shortwave r/ts.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Cool. Thanks man. I need to understand comtech in much greater detail. I don't know the difference between UHF and vhf freqs. I suppose if it were that easy, every poobutt would be using their cells as mobile ham/shortwave r/ts.

pirating cell phone signals ended once cellular providers stopped broadcasting conversations on unencrypted radio frequencies (back in the early 90's). cell phones are not the equivalent of uhf/vhs or cb radios (they're not even on the same frequency band). they involve a complex authentication handshake that is waaaay beyond the skills of most hackers.

you're better off getting that obama phone :p

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@Odin - even better old school. Pass the note. Of course - shy (yes I was - terribly shy) me passes a note along - wasn't even mine and it was one of the stupid ones -- "Do you like me? I like you" type of thing. I of course get caught and have to stand and read it outl oud, found I was chewing gum - and then made to stand in the corner with gum stuck on my nose. hehe - this probably was the emerging of the future tude.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Tude, Thats how Don Odin operated as a young mafioso... Passing notes in grade-school to Susy Sunshine asking if she can consider to share a cupcake, it was excellent practice for closing "future wizeguy transactions"...

::cigar::

Not free... but related to communication signals and stuff.::wacky::

ran across this the other day...
interesting if you have time to read it...

http://arstechnica.com/information-...neighbors-created-their-own-internet-service/

Last edited:
K

Kim Chee

Just about anything you can do to a communication device besides use it just like in the instruction manual is a federal offense.

The FCC is waiting for you to drop the soap.

lone wolf

Reaction score
Just about anything you can do to a communication device besides use it just like in the instruction manual is a federal offense.

The FCC is waiting for you to drop the soap.
Assuming it works the way I've seen it done on YouTube I believe it is legal. They used a couple of apps and a free WiFi connection. So you only have service through WiFi.

Dmac

Reaction score
Try Freedompop.com I got one, but you have to have an e-male account and a credit/debit card to activate, (which is 1 cent) Also have to make sure to turn off the "free" extras they give you or you will be charged when the free time period is over. Right now i get 200 minutes, 500 texts and 500 mb free each month. But if I connect to a wifi I get free data. The account is originally set to buy extra mb's whenever you get over 400, but can be set so there is no charge till you go over 500, then it is .02 cents a mb. but if you don't go over, there is no monthly fee.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Try Freedompop.com I got one, but you have to have an e-male account and a credit/debit card to activate, (which is 1 cent) Also have to make sure to turn off the "free" extras they give you or you will be charged when the free time period is over. Right now i get 200 minutes, 500 texts and 500 mb free each month. But if I connect to a wifi I get free data. The account is originally set to buy extra mb's whenever you get over 400, but can be set so there is no charge till you go over 500, then it is .02 cents a mb. but if you don't go over, there is no monthly fee.

huh. that's useful as fuck. i'm going to give that a try. thanks!

Dmac

Reaction score
@Matt Derrick , they have several phones you can get, and i believe you can use an existing phone by getting one of their sim cards. gives you a choice on using an existing # or ya pick from a list they provide for the area you are in. One thing, voice mail is like 2.99 extra a month. I don't use it, just text instead. I ended up getting their reconditioned 2014 lg volt lte, cost 54.00$ (purchased from zoolilly, not directly from freedompop) just waiting for my 64g micro sd card. big step up for me, before this i just had one of the cheapest trakfones which is only good for calls and texts. their site isn't too hard to navigate, but you DO have to go and set everything to your liking. They also have wifi "hotspots" you can get, most have a monthly fee (9.99/mo and up), but one is 500 mb a month for just the purchase fee. I imagine it is set up like the phone, but i haven't investigated it yet, but having a hotspot would be nice, even if only 500 mb a month.
By the way their unlimited talk, text and 2g data is only 19.99$ a month, for those of you with more money than Me.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads