Foreigner in US | Squat the Planet

Foreigner in US

Icesal

Reaction score
Hi has anyone hitchiked alone from north america to alaska as a european citizen if so i would be really thankful if you could tell me how it went! I am a 20 year old male from iceland i was planing to hitchike through europe but north america sounds really nice to me but im not sure witch route i would take or what the cost of the trip would be. And for how long can a foreigner stay in US?

Tadaa

Reaction score
3 month tourist visa..
hitchhiking is easy but nothing like europe if you have been.
people will love your icelandic accent so asking for rides at gasstations is easy

you have to pass canada to get to alaska. if you see catching rides isnt easy in the usa just go quicker into canada.. (its like european mentality with an american landscape, :)

velkominn squattheplanet vinur!

(edit ; most of your questions have been covered already . so read the forum. use the search option . and ask if you cant find what you need to know.)

Icesal

Reaction score
3 month tourist visa..
hitchhiking is easy but nothing like europe if you have been.
people will love your icelandic accent so asking for rides at gasstations is easy

you have to pass canada to get to alaska. if you see catching rides isnt easy in the usa just go quicker into canada.. (its like european mentality with an american landscape, :)

velkominn squattheplanet vinur!

(edit ; most of your questions have been covered already . so read the forum. use the search option . and ask if you cant find what you need to know.)

Thank you for the answer! Loving this forum

Tadaa

Reaction score
btw.. i might go to reykjavik for a weekend at the end of november or beginning of december to see friends (lived there for a while last two years) if i ll go i will let you know and if you want to grab a beer or coffee i can give you some advice for travelling the us and canada.

Reactions: Icesal

Placebo

Reaction score
Hi has anyone hitchiked alone from north america to alaska as a european citizen if so i would be really thankful if you could tell me how it went! I am a 20 year old male from iceland i was planing to hitchike through europe but north america sounds really nice to me but im not sure witch route i would take or what the cost of the trip would be. And for how long can a foreigner stay in US?
I

My 1st cross country journey in 2007 was with a french guy, and then added a german to our group we met in new orleans. We called ourselves the FAG (French American German). The german really got a kick outta that and when we got a ride would always want us to sit in orderwith french dude first me in middle and German to the right. They didnt know anything about train hopping culture. I had always wanted to ride freight since high school. Our 1st successful train was outta NOLA. A few months later made it to santa monica. Had many adventures and i was glad to have travelled with europeans who werent part of the american scene. Wish i knew how u could get a hold of them. I have hardly heard from them since. I had hoped to meet em back in europe but haven't had the chance. Tickets are just too expensive on my $2000/year budget!

Placebo

Reaction score
The german was named Hugo Heiter. Maybe he has a facebook as that. I dont know dont use much social media myself other than this n craigslist rideshares. What time of year do you plan to take yer trip?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads