Fly Geyser, Black Rock Desert, Nevada

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
This is so remarkable it doesn't look real! Looks like it belongs in the Wizard of Oz. There are two videos at the link so it's fer real :) At a couple other sites it lists this as totally private, but this and another that sometimes the owner will take some tourists out there. I'd love to see it!!

Fly Geyser, Nevada’s Coolest (And Least Known) Attraction

fly-geyser-green.jpg

Source: ZME Science

Nestled on a patch of private land in Nevada’s Black Rock Desert, the Fly Ranch Geyser (known commonly as the Fly Geyser) is one of the state’s coolest attractions, though many residents still do not know it exists. Fly Geyser, which spews waters about five feet high, lies about a third of a mile from State Route 34, a road which functions as the only viewpoint since the geyser is not open to the public.

fly-geyser-black-rock-city.jpg

Source: Zim Ride

fly-geyser-2.jpg

Source: Wall Convert

fly-geyser-2green.jpg

Source: National Geographic

Before becoming the Martian-esque, “We come in peace” waterworks it is today, the Fly Ranch Geyser was just an ordinary man-made well drilled in the early 1900s. Eventually piping hot, geothermally heated water began to rise through cracks in the well and up to the ground’s surface through what is now Fly Geyser. Though workers tried to cap it off and prevent leakage of the hot water, their efforts were obviously unsuccessful.

fly-geyser-1.jpg

Source: 500 PX

fly-geyser-6.jpg

Source: Weather

In 1964, Fly Geyser began erupting with scalding water in multiple places, after a second poorly-capped well was dug not far from the first. The repetitive eruptions dissolved minerals and over time, the mineral deposits developed the mount and various terraces that now surround the ever-growing geyser. And thanks to thermophilic algae that thrive in the wet, hot conditions created by the geyser, breathtaking reds and greens streak the mounds.

fly-geyser-3.jpg

Source: Eco Turizm

fly-geyser-4.jpg

Source: Flickr

While the original Fly Geyser no longer hisses steaming water, another mount two additional geysers in the area have followed in its path. Though the attraction is located on private land and not open to tourists, visitors who make arrangements with the owners ahead of time are often able to get a closer look for a fee.

fly-geyser-5.jpg

Source: In A Resort

fly-geyser.jpg

Source: Cheap Flights Cheap Hotels

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/fly-geyser-nevada/2

Reactions: Odin and Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Awesome!!!! I may have to check this out while I am out and about.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Neato Pic's. ::pompus::

I really like the sunlight on the green and red boogers covering the rocks.

Reactions: Kal

Dmac

Reaction score
I have been to Mammoth hot springs in Yellowstone, but would love to see this too!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads