florida to puerto rico/bahamas

dylann

Reaction score
what would be the best way to get from florida to the bahamas or to puerto rico? oh i also have a dog with me. any suggestions would help. im leaving for florida tomorrow. so it would be cool to know how i would get to the bahamas from there.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
hitch a ride on a sailboat....lots heading to the islands from FL. as long as you have a passport. but from what i remember, things can be a little more costly there cause everything is shipped in. but there is some damn good seafood there...i was vegetarian, but i had to give in and taste some lobster fritters while there. a lot of people hitchhike too cause taxis and gas are really expensive. i saw like 15 people once in the back of a pickup all headed to church one day :)

D

Deleted member 20

I would skip the bahammas. Stay on US soil , try USVI and Puerto Rico, no need for Passport. Boat deliveries are possible but are few & far between especially if you dont have experience & sea time under your belt. I was in PR like 10 years ago & I bought a one way ticket pretty cheap. Its hot there in the winter so American & other tourists want to go in the winter. Dec-Jan are busy with locals returning home from the lower-48 states to visit family for xmas,nye & 3 kings day. I would try booking a one way ticket for like July. If trying the boat delivery route, think about hurricane season, put ads on craigslist, learn to sail & hang around the docks.

D

Deleted member 20

They have publicos there, like a rideshare van that everyone uses too. Unsure about light rail in PR, was super short line when i was there but had heard it was gonna connect san juan with caguas. Hitching will be easy too, since the people are super nice & friendly there. Probably wont get picked up by any anglo tourists but deff ny locals, especially out of SJ

Last edited:

dylann

Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys. will having a dog complicate things like getting a job on a boat? or are they laid back with four legged companions?

D

Deleted member 20

To be honest without a shit ton of boating experience your most likely sol. Now try convincing some rich asshole how your dog is trained to shit/piss over the side or in a bucket. Really doubtfull you will ever get a spot on a crew. You wont be getting paid more than likely anyway. It seems to me that traveling with a dog as an accesory is a liability.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
They have publicos there, like a rideshare van that everyone uses too. Unsure about light rail in PR, was super short line when i was there but had heard it was gonna connect san juan with caguas. Hitching will be easy too, since the people are super nice & friendly there. Probably wont get picked up by any anglo tourists but deff ny locals, especially iutvof SJ

I'm finally going there this winter, for the whole damn winter, I got my plane ticket ahead of time.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Moved to destinations.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads