fleece sleeping bag plus bivvy | Squat the Planet

fleece sleeping bag plus bivvy

K

kokomojoe

As of right now I have one of these. http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/images/large/amk-heatsheet-bivy-L.jpg
And was wondering if I had that with one of those fleece sleeping bags for example (http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/110/110893.jpg) if it'd be warm enough. I also have a hammock that I plan on using to stay off the ground.
I'm assuming if I use the fleece with the bivvy I should be alright. I'm just looking for input on whether I should get one of the cheaper/lighter fleece sleeping bags or just get a thicker one that's rated for lower temperatures.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Man it all depends on where you are, or where your going. I don't think there is any set up that perfectly covers it all. At least in my eyes.

Reactions: West

Unslap

Reaction score
fleece is light and keeps you warm even when wet. however it takes a lot of room in your pack as it doesnt compress well, fyi

thomas mccoy

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i know its such a big crossroads between weight of sleepsystem vs warmth or sleepsystem.. this is what works for me.. i bought one of those three layer military sleepsystems on ebay for about seventy dollars.. which is a big freakin bag.. its graded at -40 and comes with a bivy.. i took it out to test it was perfect.. in a tent on the snow with just my clothes and an emergency blanket on the bottom of my tent.. but i ventually took out the middle layer and put a fleece liner in the innermost section.. sometimes when its cold you jump in your bag real qick.. the fleece is nice for that.. the ripstop nylon can be kinda cold at first..

this is the perfect combo for me.. a little big by some pples standards.. but im warmer and safer than those ppl..

oh and i awlays keep my gloves on and extra socks if i can manage it.. cold feet can be very annoying..

Reactions: Mankini

yoder

Reaction score
i use the Thermolite Fleece Reactor Liner with
the current USMC Bivy
i also use a Therm-a-rest Z Lite sleeping pad
Summer Months (Late May-Late August)

i can go down to about 60F stand alone w/bivy (i like too sleep in my underwear with no shirt)
i can go down to about 45F with merina wool bottoms and tops
worse case senerio i always carry 2 emergency blankets (light &super small/thin)

fleece.jpg
usmc.png
Therm-a-Rest-Z-Lite-Sol-Flat.jpg

Reactions: angerisagift

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
I would be very skeptical about carrying around a fleece sleeping bag for travling out doors. Those things suck up mositer like the plague and once there wet they take a while to dry. Just not sure I would want to take that chance. Still a interesting concept. Good post.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads