finding a decent cheap hd camera | Squat the Planet

finding a decent cheap hd camera

petergreen

Reaction score
Aside from the usual places like Craigslist, eBay and Amazon does anyone have any advice for sourcing a cheap HD camera? I love to take video of the places I visit for posterity but given my lifestyle my equipment invariably ends up broken, stolen or both.

Leocalifornya

Reaction score
Goodwill or yard-sales, bro. It's hit or miss, but sometimes you can find some great equipment for real cheap. Especially if you know how to fix minor things. A lot of the stuff you find will have minor problems, causing the thing not to work. So it's cheap. If you can fix it though...

Reactions: petergreen

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if you're willing to sacrifice some features, there's definitely a market for good gopro alternatives/competitors, and most of them are around $100. here's an example:

now, the sound sucks on this one, but really, if you want to make good videos, you should probably be doing external sound anyways. the rode smartlav is a decent lavalier mic that plugs into your cell phone for recording, so that's definitely a cheap way to get that done.

i'm in the same spot as you (low budget, but want to make decent videos) so i think this is a good solution, but i haven't tried out the above camera yet.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
also, keep an eye on amazon warehouse deals and the used section of amazon. i shop there almost exclusively for most things and get a great deal each time.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
also, changed the title to be a little more descriptive.

petergreen

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you. Mostly these are for my own enjoyment or to send to family. I love to see exotic places, or just new places, but eventually I run out of brain-room and it's nice to have it on a micro sd or a hard drive somewhere. Appreciate the tips.

Reactions: Matt Derrick
K

Kim Chee

Not sure why you're avoiding ebay and amazon, but ok.

I purchased this camera new a couple years ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Ze1-P...794610?hash=item1c65f75e32:g:TGwAAOSw2GlXITxe

It has been on a train (cool points) has had a marker used on it to make it less visible and has never been dropped.

I'll even throw in an SD card (not sure how many GB).

Will ship priority mail with tracking

Make offer.

btw: I purchased it using ebay.

(Has image stabilization and shoots 1080p)

D

Deleted member 8978

Recently, I bought a refurbished Kodak Playsport zx5 camera which was about $100.00 tops. This was useful to me in case my phone ran out of its own space for shooting videos. It barely gets a few good shots in lit-up places during the night time, but great for the daytime. Also, get yourself a flashlight with at least 80 lumens so your camera can behave in the dark.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads