expatriate

DFA

Reaction score
Website
wemakezines.ning.com
I was bumming around Germany and Denmark for the last couple months.
Now I'm thinking about getting my residence in the next couple years.
Anyone got good advice for broke ass punks that want to expatriate to the EU?
Some basic things I know about getting residence (legally) in germany anyway....

- Have to get health insurance
- get a job that will support your visa
- Take german courses

Now for my questions....
Anything else I missed or anyone know very much else?
Is there any other countries easier to get residence if your american?
Would it just be easier to live in the country illegally?
What is good advice for someone wanting to start a venue or house project and not take work?
Does the US still make you pay income tax if you legally take work in another country?

*whew* that is all for now.

fenriswolf

Reaction score
It is VERY hard. I worked for the Department of Defense in Germany on and off for years. Most of our theaters of operation EUCOM (European Command) and Africom (African Command) for the ARMY are based in Stuttgart. When I was working I was on bases so "technically" I was on US soil. If you DID get residency which is very unlikely you would then first most likely have to give up your US residency for German (or wherever) and no you would then be living in an EU country. There is always the marrying option, but in many countries (especially Germany) which has a "Turkish" and immigration problem as ar as they are concerned it make it harder. I can recommend you actually check Germany out then head over to Stuttgart and start hitting local bars, nice hotel bars where you can meet all types of people, doing ALL types of work (like I did) and make connections. You can probably find quite a few older retired soldiers living in Germany legally who can hook you up even more. As for the crusty sitting around thing the Germans are not very tolerant. Sure Berlin (a wonderful city) has it's crusts and the like but it's a very clean and orderly place. At the same time the people are generally warm, generous and the language is easy to pick up on as English IS a Germanic language. Hope this helps. If you want the name of some cool pubs etc. where you WILL meet people let me know.

fenriswolf

Reaction score
Although I don't know your background or skills either so.. but still gaining full residency in any other country these days legally can and usually does take years.

iSTEVEi

Reaction score
Does the US still make you pay income tax if you legally take work in another country?

I believe All income earned overseas is taxable. - From the IRS site - "If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside."

And if you have a foreign bank account with over $10000 in you have to file a yearly report with the IRS.

fenriswolf

Reaction score
Right if you are not a citizen of the country you are working in sure. Good luck finding a sponsor. Unless you have serious specific skills and degrees.

fenriswolf

Reaction score
And btw check out sites such as www.privacyworld.com etc. I am not a big fan of taxes and that is the last thing I would worry about. If you are not a citizen of the European country you are living in or part of the EU you MIGHT get an under the table cash gig but that's about it.

fenriswolf

Reaction score
Oh yeah and the qualifications for Scandinavian countries even for marriage are ROUGH. Like you can't leave Finland for 7 years after marrying.

fenriswolf

Reaction score
Hence it being a UNION. But seriously I say from years of experience it the time you put in maybe half the time (and it's years) you nay not want to be where you are.

fenriswolf

Reaction score
And even within the EU it's movement. They are still very iffy about work. If you are still in Europe head over to the Netherlands and you may be able to start putting something together.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads