Evening

E

ent_ink

Well I was in town today and a crazy preacher guy told me the world was ending so apart from making a big Oxfam donation with somebody else’s credit card I thought I might stop lurking and say hello. I’ve been on the site a good time and read quite a lot especially when it comes to preparedness. I like planning for worst case scenario’s of course that means that I’m a manic depressive anti-social bastard who has all the social skills and graces of an amoeba.

That said I usually mean well. Usually.

I do love my technology and engineering and I have a weakness for older things especially those made back before mass production when there was a little piece of the person who made it invested into each part.

I finished university about half a year ago and for the moment am bobbing along in life while I do some of the things I’ve been waiting along time for. I had been in education continuously since I was 7 I’ve been waiting a long time. I wouldn’t mind seeing Europe and some of the world as well as seeing America. Trainhopping does look a fascinating way to travel. I also do have an interest in squatting, it really gets me to see all these empty properties even older ones and think what could be done with them with a little cooperative and imagination. Like this: http://squattheplanet.com//where/urban-exploration/6480-lillesdon-girls-school-uk.html beautiful building as well.

I admit that I haven’t travelled in any real sense before but I don’t have any illusions of freeboating my way anywhere. Most of the time it will probably be hard, cold wet and probably miserable trekking while everyone in the world drives past and doesn’t offer you a lift. Still I think the experience and the company you take with you make it more than worth it. Who knows around the next corner may be something wonderful. Yes I do have a romantic streak.

Then again it’s possible I’ll loathe every second of it. I am an Englishman we crave disappointment.

Christ I have overwritten this – Oh well enjoy.

stove

Reaction score
Welcome to StP. What kind of Engineering, if you don't mind my asking?

It sounds like you've gotten the less romantic, but more realistic view of travel; it's certainly going to serve you better than the other way 'round. Go out and explore; if you've not traveled before, hitching is a good place to start. There are also some awesome squats in the UK, if you're interested in sticking around the Island for a bit.

E

ent_ink

Thankyou for the weclome. All kinds really mechanical, electrical, computational I just finished a website for myself to put my work up on and I am quite proud of it – You can add content, edit comment it and search through it all using a fuckton of PHP and MySQL. I am watching the Punk Planet bus engineering side with great interest.

I do enjoy seeing a ingenious solution to an engineering problem, or if the person who did in the first place fubared it I like seeing good bodges, The older British term for hack in the machine sense though hack is more endearing. To quote James May "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place."

Yeah I have done a bit of travelling in a local sense, I am aware of squats in the UK I was going to go through the squatter quarter of the forum and see what awesome UK ones they’re were since I have little knowledge of Squatting within the UK though I am aware of our squatting laws.

E

ent_ink

Its wonderful Arrow, will they fail? Oh yes they did marvellous. It became a British mentality really. Like some Americans who have a self invested narcissistic notion of being the best in the world at everything even when presented with their failures.

The British tend to have a feeling of, we’ll give it a go and if we fail ah well its not that surprising but we weren’t surprised. Hell one of the sayings around where I grew up was akin to “Were not the best were not the worst”. That’s modern Britain – Middle of road and were staying there.

I’m glad to have providing something a little different, only thing about American English that really grates with me is when Aluminium is pronounced ‘a-lu-min-um’

DAMN IT!

Anyway have a great day.

moe

Reaction score
my biggest fear when i travel in a few more years, is coming to that moment, when i realze i have nowhere to really settle, and go to, when my ass is fucked, deep in trouble.
but i know i want to do it.
anyway, lol.
sorry.
welcome.
=]

E

ent_ink

For me its also a chance to see places that I have wondered about living in, in the United States this mostly devolves onto the West Coast which people seem to lavish praise upon. Unsurprisingly given its reputation I have no desire to visit any part of the South. Except New Orleans because I hear its a beautiful city.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads