ESEE-4 or ESEE-5 | Squat the Planet

ESEE-4 or ESEE-5

Peregrin

Reaction score
http://www.eseeknives.com/esee-4.htm
esee-4.png

http://www.eseeknives.com/esee-5.htm
esee-5.png

I am torn between these two knives. I will be using either as a camp knife. Batoning/chopping wood for fires if needed, skinning/filleting, self defense, etc. My major concern is blade length and knife legality. The ESEE-4 has a blade length of 4.3in, whereas the ESEE-5 is over 5in. This knife will sit in my pack tucked behind the frame and out of reach, only for use in camp, remote areas, or if I am in an area where I am in fear for my safety (where it will be concealed up front on my belt). I understand a big knife is asking for trouble with police. I will be riding freight, hitching, and flying. I really want the 5, but I feel like the 4 will not attract as much 'big fucking knife' attention and under the common 5in blade law. I know some states i'd be fucked either way. I will have fishing and camping kit, I'm not schwilly, and feel I could be convincing enough to assure a LEO of its intended purpose. So whattya say, take my chances with the 5, play it safe with the 4? Am I fucked either way, so take my chances with the blade I want? (5). I will be carrying a 3.8in Kershaw folder as well for general purpose shit in my pocket.

Reactions: Mankini

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Meh for the amount of coin you drop on a nice knife like that is kinda a waste if it gets taken away from some random prick pig.I always had my $60 ka-bar heavy bowie knife which is some what illegal but yet it was an amazing knife for the cash and took all the abuse i threw at it over 3 years lol.Then got all my gear stolen and thrown in jail for 13 days on bullshit.

Good times.But hell if i was to ever get back out in that lifestyle id get the ka-bar or a coldsteel kukri as those things are bomb proof and run only $35 bucks and you have to put your own edge on it but its one hell of a knife for that little bit.

Other knife you might consider is a Mora.Small cheap and lightweight but capable of doing camp tasks if you know how to use it.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah Moras are frikkin awesome. Ka-Bars too. I had a heavy USMC model that could penetrate aircraft/automotive aluminum and fiberglass like hot butta.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
The Ka-bars made today are made in China sadly but they are quality checked and backed by Becker knifes which makes some awesome knifes.I liked the bowie because it has a thick spine and had a decent amount of weight to it and even for the size of the knife it was perfectly balanced and easy to control.Only downsides to it was the sheath would start falling apart like any other factory sheath but heck that was after i got my money out of it lol.

And heck it held one hell of a nice edge after a nice work out splitting logs and once you get the feel for it you can use it to do other small tasks if you are careful.

buffalobill

Reaction score
Yeah you would be suprized kbars fly pretty well I did some practice with em for fun with my buddies I've looked into esee before and it's got the all round check list good steel nice sheath USA made and and comes in colors !!!! I would want the longer one when I first started camping but the 4 inch should not have a proformance issue just keep it oiled and a sharp edge good luck

Peregrin

Reaction score
I am partial to the ESEE, and I have researched Fallkniven, Mora, Kabar, Cold Steel, etc. I originally wanted the Kabar, but it boiled down to the Micarta handle on the ESEE, the included sheath, and their solid return policy. You can cut the ESEE in half, say "hey I cut your knife in half", and they'll send you a new one. I am sold on the ESEE. I am a chef by trade, I own at least $1,000 worth of Henckel knives.. dropping $150 on a survival knife is no big deal. I had a dope habit for awhile, so I have blown more money with less to show for it in an afternoon. I am going to take my chances with the ESEE-5. Black blade with the venom green grips!

Reactions: buffalobill

Peregrin

Reaction score
I got the ESEE-5 last week. My first impression was "fuck! that's a lot of knife". I accidently ordered the green coated blade, but I don't mind it. I love everything about it. I don't think I'll ever need the glass breaker, but whatever. The kydex sheath is alright. I like the tensioning bolt on it. It's not something I would carry unless I was at camp.

It came shaving sharp, and I put it to work the first day. Chopping, batoning, whittling firesticks, carving, and after splitting a small log it was still shaving sharp. I love it! It's a decent fighter too once you get comfortable with a lb. of knife. The black knife is my trusty Kershaw folder. It is a bitch to sharpen but it holds an edge and it's a shaver.

Attachments

• IMAG2233_1.jpg
    IMAG2233_1.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 530

NBDDreamer

On the move
Reaction score
I have the ESEE-4. It's kind of an albatross. The blade is too fat for fine work. The length and shape of the blade is too short/too straight to be a very good chopper. It's more like a sharp pry bar... probably great for combat... not great for hoboing. The handle is also too short for large hands. It's also expensive and heavy.

Get a Condor Bushlore. Cheap (like half the price). Good sheath. more comfortable handle. Better overall design. Lighter. It's a better cutting tool and still built like an AK-47.

Also, the Condor doesn't look like a 100 dollar knife. It's been my experience that it's easier to travel when you look penniless but clean. Think out of work construction worker, not crusty, not yuppie backpacker, not tactical weirdo.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads