ebola and eating out of the trash

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
In my humble opinion you don't have to care about Ebola while dumpster diving in the US. It's extremely unlikely you would be infected by it now. Okay, someone infected just coming from Africa might have thrown away some half eaten burger and along with it some body fluid and you come in contact with it. But how likely is that?

Said that it's most important to contain this disease as soon as possible. It hasn't reached Europe or the US yet (only one or two instances) but if it gets spread, we really have a problem. That's not the case yet but it could be. So if (US and Europe) governments are for any use, they should act now. My opinion.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
look, i'm not pointing this statement directly at anyone. and i can't think of a nice way to say it so i'm just not going to be nice.

if you're genuinely concerned about contracting ebola from eating out of the trash... if it even crosses your mind for more than a few seconds... you're an idiot.

the odds of you getting ebola are so astronomically high, that you have a better chance of a meteor coming through the atmostphere of earth and disinigrating into the size of a marble, and then shooting through your right eyeball as you're walking down the street at exactly 2:07pm next tuesday.

don't buy into the media hype.

K

Kim Chee

if you're genuinely concerned about contracting ebola from eating out of the trash... if it even crosses your mind for more than a few seconds... you're an idiot.

I'm not dwelling on it. For the time being, the average dumpster in the US is probably safe. This is of course subject to change should ebola cases here increase.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I would hate to see people read this and decide dumpsters are a viable source of safe food should there be an outbreak here (because they wouldn't be in my opinion).

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
This is of course subject to change should ebola cases here increase.

*slaps forehead*

ok, correct me if i'm wrong here. how many deaths have been caused by ebola recently? oh yeah, ONE:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/10/08/ebola-texas-dallas-death/16914319/

ONE!!!! one person! out of how many billion? why are we even discussing this possibility?

sorry, i'm just so sick of hearing about this bullshit, the only reason it's even a subject of discussion is because the media won't stop shoving it down our fucking throats every fucking day. ebola cases happen ALL THE FUCKING TIME and no one worries about it until ONE guy dies in a texas hospital, but this time around the media won't shut the fuck up about it even though it happens like 300 times a fucking year in the USA. argh.

K

Kim Chee

*slaps forehead*
ok, correct me if i'm wrong here. how many deaths have been caused by ebola recently? oh yeah, ONE:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/10/08/ebola-texas-dallas-death/16914319/
ONE!!!! one person! out of how many billion? why are we even discussing this possibility?

I'm not disputing the number of cases in the US, but @Boneless seems to not concur with your figures.

If you look at my post, I am not discussing current ebola infections in the US. I'm not buying into media hype either but nor am I going to continue to dumpster dive should ebola become more prevalent here in the future and carelessly become a victim.

Boneless

Reaction score
I'm not disputing the number of cases in the US, but @Boneless seems to not concur with your figures.

If you look at my post, I am not discussing current ebola infections in the US. I'm not buying into media hype either but nor am I going to continue to dumpster dive should ebola become more prevalent here in the future and carelessly become a victim.

I live in Australia, not the US. I'm not arguing with anyone's figures.

S

spectacular

look, i'm not pointing this statement directly at anyone. and i can't think of a nice way to say it so i'm just not going to be nice.

the odds of you getting ebola are so astronomically high, that you have a better chance of a meteor coming through the atmostphere of earth and disinigrating into the size of a marble, and then shooting through your right eyeball as you're walking down the street at exactly 2:07pm next tuesday.

don't buy into the media hype.
someone with ebola might eat something while sick and toss it in the trash after landing in an american city somewhere. might sneeze into the air too while people are around to breathe it. while the risk is minimal, i find it's better not to put my hands over my ears and chant about how everyone's an idiot and la la la

enocifer

Reaction score
Website
vids.myspace.com
Just another media scare tactic. They love to overhype bullshit and get everyone to be afraid of something. It's a method of control. We didn't all die from Anthrax, or bird flu. Likely they're over-sensationalizing it to distract from something else that's goung on.

Michelle Obama.jpg

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Hi!

someone with ebola might eat something while sick and toss it in the trash after landing in an american city somewhere. might sneeze into the air too while people are around to breathe it. while the risk is minimal, i find it's better not to put my hands over my ears and chant about how everyone's an idiot and la la la

It's not about "to put my hands over my ears and chant about how everyone's an idiot and la la la" ...

Ebola is a potential threat for the US or Europe, no doubt. That's why I think it's urgent to do more to dam up this epidemic in Africa.

But right now there are two (in numbers 2) cases of Ebola in the United States as far as I know. Out of a population of 318,968,000 ...

Right now I wouldn't think about Ebola concerning my personal safety. Even while dumpster diving. Concerning the way you live, it's much, much, much more likely you get injured or killed while hopping trains, hitchhiking with an inexperienced driver who wrecks the car, grab into an infected syringe while dumpster diving or just stumble and fall on your head. ;)

Just my two cents ...

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Lot of conflicting information out there. I was wondering if the onset of a cold winter will slow or stop transmission of Ebola and then a google search brings up articles of those saying cold dry weather will increase the chance of it going airborne. When I checked on opinions of it going airborne most say it is unlikely that it will because in the 100 or so years of studying viruses a major change in transmission method has not been seen. (They used HIV epidemic as an example... after all these years its not airborn only body fluids shared needles exct...)

Art101

Reaction score
Ebola isn't exactly the flu(which kills more people that ebola). Not to mention we do live in a first world nation with first world medical care. Im sick of friggin ebola and the crazy paranoia that seems to be surrounding it.

K

Kim Chee

I don't know why some people here take it so lightly that the number of deaths in this current outbreak are low in relation to world population. You don't have to be a victim of mass hysteria to know that EVERY epidemic or pandemic outbreak begins with only a few infected individuals.

?..Not to mention we do live in a first world nation with first world medical care.

First world status gets us no cure all while first world caregivers are still contracting the disease from the people they are treating. I'm not sure what advantages first world status could bring? Dense population centers? Mass transportation?

Enough of this healthy debate about ebola, I don't want to hear about it anymore....waaaaaaa.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
As I was musing about it... my concern is the transmission method and virulence... of the disease.
See I kinda think it going airborne is far-fetched but there is that book hot zone and it talks about a true story where a simian version of the virus in lab setting mutated and went airborne in 89
... so there is no reason the human strain can't with enough mutation do it too... the difficulty i have read is that the virus would have to change enough of its genetics to start replicating in your respiratory tissues. throat, bronchi, lungs... without destroying its own functions. thats what makes it unlikely.. and also that although Ebola has flue like symptoms it actually attacks the cardiovascular system after it takes over immune system cells to self replicate. So its nature is not respiratory primarily.
then again it might be comparing apples and oranges. Just cuz its not airborne does not mean it cant become a huge pandemic. HIV did and its basically the same. The difference might be that Ebola is more virulent.
Imagine it like this... you have one virus thats like Ebola and is transferred by fluids... but this viruses load when infected is low... so as you contaminate surfaces and environments its not so bad... kinda like dropping a cookie crumb here and there... then there is the current Ebola outbreak where there has been said in news articles that professionals are finding a higher viral load then previous versions. SO with this its more like your walking around with a huge coffee can full of very fine breadcrumbs for making... veal parmigiana... hehe... and as you contact people and surfaces its like your shaking those crumbs all about.

Either way Alaska is looking mighty good right now. Meh then again I got all up in arms for the swine flu... buying face masks and shit. Heh.. somehow I'm more blase' with this at least for now. But I guess thats how you get Captain Tripps. ::eyepatch::

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads