Earthbag construction at slab city?

Auto

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about Slab city lately and it sounds like a pretty cool place. I don't know if you guys have heard about earthbag houses before but they are basically houses made out of filling up bags with dirt or sand, often in the shape of a dome. You can build them dirt cheap, a lot of people buy mislabeled rice bags for next to nothing to build them, and some barbed wire to hold them together in between the layers. One person can build one in a couple weeks time if he worked at it.

I've been wanting to do something like that for a long time, even if I could afford to buy some land to do it on somewhere else, they have building codes and stuff that often won't let you. Do you guys think something like this would be feasible there?

I also read that the locals don't like people that come there tenting, which I decided is what I want to do in a couple weeks. I read something about the tenters taking dumps and it being the desert it doesn't decompose fast or something and the year-rounders don't like the people coming in tents because of that? I don't really see a way around this, what would be the proper thing to do there as far as disposing of your crap?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
what would be the proper thing to do there as far as disposing of your crap?
ah... one of man's great questions he has pondered for centuries............ save up a whole bunch before you leave and when you get there give it to Katbastard for his "humanure" system....... always good to come bearing gifts

Reactions: Nelco and Puckett

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
there are places here to take a dump and you can always dig a deep hole and crap in there and burn it off when it gets too full. just dont crap where people will step in it, or dogs can dig it up and eat it. ive been here since july and finding a place to crap wasnt a problem. im sure you'll do fine

K

katbastard

i will take you shit, if it is clean of not shit items, only poop and paper. also if you take drugs, or pop pills wont be able to take it.

Auto

Reaction score
i will take you shit, if it is clean of not shit items, only poop and paper. also if you take drugs, or pop pills wont be able to take it.
Sounds good, as long as weed isn't one of the drugs you are referring to.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
you should give us some links/pictures of this earthbag tech you speak of.

Auto

Reaction score
K

katbastard

Not worried about antibiotic resistant bacteria in your swimming area? Here's something else to chew on: 50 to 90% of the pharmaceutical drugs people take can be excreted down the toilet and out into the waterways in their original or biologically active forms. Furthermore, drugs that have been partially degraded before excretion can be converted to their original active form by environmental chemical reactions. Pharmaceutical drugs such as chemotherapy drugs, antibiotics, antiseptics, beta-blocker heart drugs, hormones, analgesics, cholesterol-lowering drugs, and drugs for regulating blood lipids have turned up in such places as tap water, groundwater beneath sewage treatment plants, lake water, rivers, and in drinking water aquifers. Think about that the next time you fill your glass with water.33
http://weblife.org/humanure/chapter2_2.html

over here at east jesus we only ask that if you are taking any kind of hormones, or psych meds that you poop some where else.

and while we are talking about this. on a real note we will take your poop, but there is some things that go along with that, one if you have a lot of poop you will have to help build wood boxes to hold that poop, and you can only use peat moss in your buckets. so keep that in mind.

Sen

Reaction score
A hexayurt also looks pretty cool as far as cheap housing goes. Apparently, it's well-suited to dry/hot environments, but I'm not sure how long it would last.
http://hexayurt.com/

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads