Dunno yet,just a thought.

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
So... Hi. I'm new here. I'm here because my boyfriend is thinking about train hopping. Trains have always held a special part in my heart, but I'm also older (in my 40's) and the idea of doing this now while appealing is also fraught with fear. Fearlessness is for the young isn't it?
I've been looking into train hopping since he brought it up, and found myself fascinated yet again with that old idea...

My first real and enduring memory of traveling happened when I was pretty young, maybe 10 or so. My mother and I, along with a friend, were traveling a fair distance, and because of that we started out at night. The moon was out, beautiful and full and SO CLOSE. We were traveling by car, and I remember falling asleep, watching the moon travel with us.

My absolute favorite mode of travel is by train. The swaying of the car, the chugga-chug of the wheels as they turn, the fact that I don’t have to be in charge (though I LOVE driving, immensely, which actually says something about my love of train travel), all make for a what I consider the best traveling experience possible. I’ve taken the train twice that I remember. Over the years, between the moon ride and the second train ride, I developed a strange sort of wanderlust. It would hit twice a year, in spring and fall. Life conspired to keep me away from that urge. Although… not entirely, I suppose: I did find a way to travel, but none of that was ever satisfying.
Then I got pregnant, and that was the end of that. Except… the wanderlust would still hit, for many years after that. It was difficult to squash the urge, but squash it I did.
Now I’m in my 40s. My kids have all moved away, leaving me free to redefine myself as I wish, and for the first time in YEARS I found the desire to be AWAY hit again last fall, in a big way. Spring is coming. And there will be fall again.

Perhaps the time has finally come…

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! (I edited your tags a bit for spelling so people searching for info/stories, etc will be able to pick your info up - nice writing btw). I will let others chime in here on the hopping part - I never have (long distance cycling and hitchhiked all over with my wild child girlfriend years ago are my traveling stuff - and yes I do enjoy traveling by train as well - well as long as there are not 10 wild kids running through it ...). Researching is a good thing. Is your boyfriend on here as well?

Art101

Reaction score
You can do I have rode into my 40's just get organized and hop on and go for a ride,lol sounds easy.Really keep in mind we dont bend as well and get stiffer faster(at least I do) and not in a good way.But yeah just do it.

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
Tude, thanks for the typo corrections (UGH! Between auto-correct on my phone and a defective keyboard, it seems so much easier to make mistakes these days!) And no, my boyfriend hasn't joined yet; if he really means to do this, I'll encourage him to.
Ghostbo, that's actually what has me most worried, to be perfectly honest. I'm thinking some amount of getting in better shape and yoga to get things going... ;)
Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it.

Art101

Reaction score
Yoga might be good,my back is wrecked from riding skiing and general hard manual labor but i try to keep limber,I stretch and such.

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
So.... my boyfriend won't be taking me along. I can't stay here. So I've decided I'm gonna wander too, but I think I'm gonna do the car thing, while gas prices aren't too exorbitant, using a combination of house sitting and couch surfing whenever possible, sleeping in the car whenever that's all I have at my disposal. Thoughts?

Art101

Reaction score
Might work out..ya never know till ya try lol.Hope its a decent sized van or something like that.

Kal

Reaction score
You are never to old to travel hell I'm 40 and I travel by walking until somebody picks me up or I make to the next town and I have hopped 5 trains.

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
Do it or your ganna die with regrets. You'll be layin there thinkin, damn. i shoulda hopped some trains. Fearlessness is for those who seek adventure.

@Jaguwar i am 55, i started hoppiing a couple years ago. Like you it was always on my mind. Your first time will be your best memory (it was for me),. Do your research, you'll get like 99% of your questions answered on the internet. Some things you will learn from others. I do have regrets, i wished i had started this 30 years ago! Good luck and keep your chin to the wind.

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
Did you really? That's epic! The plan has changed though, I'm gonna rubber tramp until the car gives out, hopefully see some family and a good chunk of Route 66 along the way..Then... all bets are off.
He's gonna do what he's always wanted regardless of anything else anyway.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads