Dumpster Diving in Oz

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com

WieselFlink

Reaction score
A great article, interesting to hear about other people doing it where it's rather uncomen to dumpsterdive. (btw, maybe move the thread to hobo kitchen or making a living rather than general banter)

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
cool read - thanks!

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
oh, sorry. i thought i saw somewhere in the article that it's not common. I wonder, how about the countryside?

I checked bins in some smaller country towns when i was hitchhiking the east coast but never had much luck getting food. And one time the shopping center security got called on me. So at least in that town, I don't think others were diving.

Bins in the big cities were much more reliable for some reason.

Smudge

Reaction score
I've been dumpster diving for years in Newcastle, a mate of mine actually lived without having to buy food because the yield was so good. We had a bunch of people tell us that they'd called the cops but they never showed. It takes them three hours to respond to a domestic violence incident, they aren't gonna rock up because some freaks are going through the trash. We're all vegan and found some seriously good vegan food in the IGA bins, it was mad. I'll definitely be doing it more on the road. I met a girl at a bin who said she'd get keys cut for me but she flaked

Reactions: Hannah Mckay
O

outlawloose

I just got home from my nightly dive. Hauled out lots of croissants, fresh cookies, yoghurts, hummus and rocket, plus random other veggies and flowers. Considering I never eat baked goods, I feel like total shit after eating so many dumpster cookies tonight!

• Haha
Reactions: sd40chef

emilon

Reaction score
Yep, I do get close to everything that I eat this way too. Last night picked up apples, tomatoes and beef. Luckily I am in a cold climate so even meat stays fresh

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads