Dude Where The Fuck Have All The Travelers Gone?

BillyOtea

Reaction score
Have I been living in the god damn matrix since covid?...
Where the hell is everyone, just several years back I could barely go without running into other fellow hitchhikers and train hoppers heading through town.
Now it's a rarity and even shit I hear from truckers and other people I get rides from, they don't see anyone.
This is fuckin madness. I know y'all didn't retire from the road with your trust funds and buy houses...what's really going on?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I think culturally America is going through a pretty weird time and none of it is conducive or even friendly towards the idea of traveling.

It'll probably pick back up again, but it might take quite a few years after COVID kind of wrecked peoples idea of what free movement looks like.

I think it's just going to take a really long time for people to bounce back to the idea where they feel safe enough that it's culturally acceptable to do the things that we've been doing for such a long time (traveling).

Of course, that's just America. It's actually much different in a lot of other countries. And it does seem like the European hitchhiking and travel scene is thriving and chugging along as per usual.

If you're interested in checking that out then I would recommend trying to plug into HitchWiki and talking to folks there.

Last edited:

Scat

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
roaddogs.cfw.me
As someone that was homeless throughout the entire pandemic, I definitely noticed a shift. Anyone that could get off the road did just that. Those that remained were either too stubborn (like refusing to let go of pets for housing, etc.) or had no support system to rely upon. The scene has changed dramatically.

Also, people are going through an economic crisis right now. It's much harder to make a living like before. People don't have as much money to kick down. There's far fewer and fewer Craigslist or cash gigs available. The attitude towards travelers is less of a curiosity now and more judgemental.

It's a hard time to be a vagabond, but we're still out there. I know I'm personally doing more seasonal loops than thumbing it nowadays. Gotta take care of your health and food is expensive, lines at the food banks are more crowded... limited resources cause people to change directions on life.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Probably gonna be a while before it becomes like it was before the pandemic. Like Scat already mentioned, pretty much everyone who could get off the road during the pandemic did. Tons of fair vendors, stage hands, carnies, lot kids, traveling contractors ect... took it as an opportunity to either retire or go try something new after decades of traveling around. The festival circuits are still struggling big time. Legal weed took a lot of venture capital capital out of the festy industry, for every 10 festivals that happened before covid maybe 1 still exists today. The shows that are happening are screwing workers left and right. Working you ass off for 20hrs a day for a week straight just to get stiffed at the end gets old fast.

I think another thing to consider is that now if you wanna beg for gas, food and smoke $ you can do it from anywhere with a smart phone. Lots of people would rather livestream and beg whoever's watching for donations than actually go stand on an off ramp. Same goes for busking. Why fry on a sidewalk when you can livestream from a shady tree and drink your beer without getting harassed. Even on the road, tech is making us more socially isolated. I think it's fucking weird as hell, but it is the world we're currently living in.

searover

Reaction score
Even in the EU, seems at least hostel bookings have dropped. Can only speak anecdotally, but flights and accommodation seem more expensive in Western Europe, maybe restricts the numbers to higher end travellers. Would love to see more statistics about the subject.

borek921

Reaction score
I can’t speak for the US since I’m European, but I can’t say I noticed much of a difference. Over here (of course depends on the country, in Italy for example, hitching is borderline illegal) it’s pretty lively. Communities, gatherings, festivals all hitchhikers and vagrants in general. While sticking out my thumb I usually wait anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour tops for a lift. Longer than that is a bad day I’d say.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Of course, that's just America. It's actually much different in a lot of other countries. And it does seem like the European hitchhiking and travel scene is thriving and chugging along as per usual.

From my point of view it has changed in EU as well. Perhaps not so much as in the States, though.

In many countries here including Germany right wing parties get more and more votes at elections, sadly. More homeless people are on the streets. More people flying a sign for money (I don't mean that negatively, I used to make money on the streets as well) including more aggressive beggars. So the mindset of many people is shifting from liberal/open minded to more "conservative" to put it that way.

Also, safety has changed on the streets I would say. I mean, sleeping rough is always not really "safe", but I had never a problem with it as I was still traveling (2018). What I heard is that it is more dangerous now. Dickheads, angry (about whatever) people who just need someone to punch or kick or worse for no reason. Also, immigrants (asylum seekers) are a problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely not against migration and I find asylum is a human right. (Otherwise I would be wrong on StP, right?) But there is a minority of refugees who cause a lot of trouble (up to stabbing/killing people for no reason). That unfortunately is one of the reasons, right wing parties are on the rise.

In England, many people seem to have changed their lifestyle or left the country. Happened that my best friend in UK opened up a squat in Bristol recently together with two mates. But all of them had something to do in other places, so on all channels they asked fellow squatters to come in and take the squat. No one came. That was unthinkable 2015-18 as I was around. There would have been always formed a crew of experienced squatters within a day or so.

Yeah, it has changed.

searover

Reaction score
cultural shifts. social stigmas. balkanized class identities. soon seeing a hitchiker will be like seeing somebody trying to park their horse outside the walmart. its an antiquated notion, and the world is ready to leave it behind

Does the trend in rising car insurance in the United States exist in the same way it does in the UK and Ireland?

So many have arrived in a legal grey spot in the Republic of Ireland that it's semi acceptable to go without a full license. I'm surprised it's not on the rise in some regions, depending on vehicle ownership prices.

Though that said, hitchhiking has declined in some regions compared to others in weird ways in Europe.

mullendjango

Reaction score
Also, people are going through an economic crisis right now. It's much harder to make a living like before. People don't have as much money to kick down. There's far fewer and fewer Craigslist or cash gigs available. The attitude towards travelers is less of a curiosity now and more judgemental.

It's because a lot of 'travelers' stay in more populated areas (for entertainment & community) with social and economical issues.(i myself lived in a tent through covid, homeless the whole 3 years, still am.) If you go off the beaten path, North for summer, South for the winter. You'll see that people are just as generous as 10 years ago. I get a hundo kick every week. Working through this economical depression, pandemic raised the cost of living, the government isn't broken it's working just fine, that's the way it was designed to do.not to benefit humans but embrace capitalism. Cops protect the banking system not people. Building up a large homeless population in liberal & dem states, inviting immigrants to flood sanctuary cities is a plan to build a whole new poverty stricken workforce in despair of housing/shelter & sustenance to live. Grants pass ruling overturned by supreme Court to strengthen that argument & criminalize a margin of people who don't fall inline with the despair of paying high rent & cost of living increases. The government sent half a billion to other countries this year already, the truth is homelessness & helping displaced Americans isn't profitable, war is.

I see other travelers, hub cities usually with train yards & major highway junctions. Usually in vans buses etc etc.some are green ones & some are elders.
You could follow the rainbow regionals or nationals to get connected with the groups & learn about jam band touring bands, dead & co, Billy strings etc .. but it isn't everyone's thing, nor mine.
Truth is you won't find many people sticking to just the West coast or Nola, you'll see handfuls who homeguards those places. If your into heavy drinking & drugs, stick to major cities . If you dig existing for days or weeks without talking to police or being harassed, check out the Midwest, Michigan, Illinois.

sevedemanos

Reaction score
Does the trend in rising car insurance in the United States exist in the same way it does in the UK and Ireland?

So many have arrived in a legal grey spot in the Republic of Ireland that it's semi acceptable to go without a full license. I'm surprised it's not on the rise in some regions, depending on vehicle ownership prices.

Though that said, hitchhiking has declined in some regions compared to others in weird ways in Europe.

i wouldnt know.. havent owned a car since 2016, and never bothered with insurance.

the growing homeless situation in the us continues to exacerbate housies already palpable phobia of unkempt ruffians

Scat

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
roaddogs.cfw.me
It's because a lot of 'travelers' stay in more populated areas (for entertainment & community) with social and economical issues.(i myself lived in a tent through covid, homeless the whole 3 years, still am.) If you go off the beaten path, North for summer, South for the winter. You'll see that people are just as generous as 10 years ago. I get a hundo kick every week. Working through this economical depression, pandemic raised the cost of living, the government isn't broken it's working just fine, that's the way it was designed to do.not to benefit humans but embrace capitalism. Cops protect the banking system not people. Building up a large homeless population in liberal & dem states, inviting immigrants to flood sanctuary cities is a plan to build a whole new poverty stricken workforce in despair of housing/shelter & sustenance to live. Grants pass ruling overturned by supreme Court to strengthen that argument & criminalize a margin of people who don't fall inline with the despair of paying high rent & cost of living increases. The government sent half a billion to other countries this year already, the truth is homelessness & helping displaced Americans isn't profitable, war is.

I see other travelers, hub cities usually with train yards & major highway junctions. Usually in vans buses etc etc.some are green ones & some are elders.
You could follow the rainbow regionals or nationals to get connected with the groups & learn about jam band touring bands, dead & co, Billy strings etc .. but it isn't everyone's thing, nor mine.
Truth is you won't find many people sticking to just the West coast or Nola, you'll see handfuls who homeguards those places. If your into heavy drinking & drugs, stick to major cities . If you dig existing for days or weeks without talking to police or being harassed, check out the Midwest, Michigan, Illinois.

I actually avoid popular areas and don't follow the usual loops. I prefer the path less traveled. I still see the changes I mentioned prior. Although I do agree with the fuck capitalism sentiment. It is working exactly as designed and human lives are expendable for profit.

Reactions: sevedemanos

xXOXx

Reaction score
Time to settle down! Why not squat a place? Make a home base, and open your doors to folks. I miss the days of punk house living. Best time of my life. Communal Dumpster runs, shared meals, and spaces for a while, Then taking off to travel, and visit other such places elsewhere. There are still affordable places out there for people willing to take risks. Let's bring it back people! Seems like people my age aren't doing it that way anymore including myself.

ThePittsburghLeft

Headed right for the next left I see in my life...
Reaction score
A lot of the travelers I know and are friends with settled into the seasonal work spiral (same as myself).

Work for 4-7 months for the forest service on a trail crew only to find out the place you’ve been staying wants you to pay for months you didn’t plan on being there. Suddenly you’re stuck.

Also seconding a lot of others who have said that since (and arguably even a little before COVID) the culture-view of travelers has become starkly negative for some unknown reason.

Cultural and economic shifts, all of it contributes to life on the road being inherently unsustainable and unfriendly to just about everybody :(

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads