Driving in France

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
So it looks like I could be headed to France in the next couple of weeks. Will be driving from the UK. I am taking my ex boyfriend to his parents where he is going to stay until he's 'cleaned' his act up. I'm not imagining this to be a fun journey. 12 hours in a car + however long on a ferry with someone in the early stages of detox is probably going to be horrific. So I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips or things I should know about when driving in France?

I've been to France a few times as a child but I have never actually driven on the other side of the road. I've googled a fair bit about the driving laws over there but People's own experiences are always better.

If it turns out I can offer a ride I will make a post on here. It is likely I will be on my own on the return journey so plenty of space.

Any info will be useful. I'm headed to the Bordeaux area.

K

Kim Chee

Toll roads up the ass. Roundabouts everywhere in the city (but you are probably used to that). Yellow headlights (jaundiced cars?). I didn't experience this, but I hear if you drive like shit in town, you may get a friendly bumper tap for driving like an idiot.

Bring your own toilet paper.

...such a sweet girlfriend.

Last edited:

janktoaster

Reaction score
Yeah, as he said above, a shit load of roundabouts, and lots of motorcycles too! I'll be in France in a month or so.. looking forward to it

I hope you have a safe journey

Reactions: landpirate

iSTEVEi

Reaction score
Heres a good link. - http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/countries/france
Covers pretty much everything.

Watch out for this too.

While driving in France you are required by law to carry the following items. Hefty on-the-spot fines can be issued for failing to carry specific items:
  • Reflective jackets (must be kept inside the vehicle, within reach)
  • Warning triangle (compulsory in every vehicle with 4 wheels or more)
  • Headlamp beam deflectors (Depending on your car, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually)
  • Breathalysers/alcohol test (As of January 2013 the French government announced that the introduction of an €11 fine has been postponed indefinitely)

• Useful

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
the toll roads are a pain in the ass, but if you search, maybe even on google maps, you can find toll free routes, taking secondary highways. might take a little bit longer, but saves a shitload of cash

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
...such a sweet girlfriend.

actually ex girlfriend, and I'm really only doing it so he becomes somebody else's problem, not so sweet...

thanks for the info though everyone I really appreciate it.

I knew toll roads were going to be a pain, google maps though can give you routes that avoid them, so hopefully we'll be able to save a few £££ that way. Roundabouts are everywhere over here, so I am used to that. going the other way round them might take some getting used to, but I guess I'll soon find out.

Hadn't even remembered about the whole weird headlight thing. I remember my dad when I was a kid sticking things on the front to make them shine a different way. I've also managed to borrow a european road safety kit thing with the warning triangle and other bits in.

thank you everyone, I'll keep you posted if I have rides to offer. ;)

roguetrader

Reaction score
i know i'm replying to an old thread and the OP's mission to France has already happened however i thought i should mention a very important point when driving over there which may be useful to others in the future - there is an old system / law termed Prioritie a droite ie priority to traffic from the right... it is difficult to describe the utter insanity of this law but basically you can be hurtling down a 60km/hour N road and see a teeny tiny country lane joining your carriageway from the right and any vehicle coming from that right has priority and can pull out in front of you at 5km/hour completely legally ! this is the cause of many accidents for foreign drivers in France... these days there are new priority laws - a yellow lozenge on your route gives that route priority - however many older French people who have been used to Prioritie a droite all their lives may well pull out anyways ! its also said to still be the way they drive in Brittany....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads