domesticate a wild rat/mouse?

P

Pheonix

If you keep throwing cheesey puffs at a sewer rat will they become your friend?

any ideas on if it's possible to domesticate a wild rodent?

hshh

Reaction score
im sure after a little while it would atleast continue to return to you expecting food, as time goes on ,hours/ days/weeks, gradually place the food closley until it has to crawl on you to get the food, and continue from there.

i dont thinks its the best idea since they are so dirty and would it be worth the time? maybe if your some homebum that sits on the same corner all day everyday and drinks and does it out of boredom it would be entertaining,

foxx

Reaction score
i successfully domesticated a feeder rat from a pet store that was absolutely not used to human handling. i know it's not the same situation, but if you're in a spot for sometime and can make friends with a young one i think it's possible. basically once my rattie realized that i always had food and that i wouldn't hurt her she trusted me and eventually let me pet her and hold her. now, she's just as friendly as my other rats who have interacted with people since birth.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
i successfully domesticated a feeder rat from a pet store that was absolutely not used to human handling. i know it's not the same situation, but if you're in a spot for sometime and can make friends with a young one i think it's possible. basically once my rattie realized that i always had food and that i wouldn't hurt her she trusted me and eventually let me pet her and hold her. now, she's just as friendly as my other rats who have interacted with people since birth.

From what I understand, feeder rats and wild rats are entirely different species.

I'd also be interested in knowing if common antibiotics have the same effect in both wild and domesticated rats (Baytil, Doxycycline, etc for myco).

cxR - i guess your only shot at domesticating a wild rat is if its a baby

edit: have a photo of two of our very domesticated (very sleepy) rats:

6ah7lsu.jpg

Reactions: foxx

Shakou

Reaction score
It's possible but very unlikely. There's a girl on a rat forum I'm part of who works in rat rescue, and currently they have a litter of 11 baby rats that are half wild/domesticated hybrids who have been handled since birth, and you can't get near them.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads