dogs in long tunnels (used to be one on it)

planet caravan

Reaction score
there used to be one on here about it but idk where it went. anyway i was thinking about getting a resp mask to get through the those long ones on the hi line instead of gettin a pusher but i'm worried about my pup. i cant remember if that old thread said they'd be fine cause of their badass noses or that it'd fuck em up cause of that. anyone know bout this?

Hal

Reaction score
I am also super curious about this, ecspecially because I've got a puppy. I'm worried that even some of the short tunnels that we'll inevitably go through on his first ride might fuck up his delicate little three month old respiratory system. Any advice would be awesome.

D

Deleted member 2626

I rode through some gnarly tunnels in Southern Wyoming this spring, just covered my dogs head with my sweatshirt or bandana. He's still alive and so am I. Yeah, tunnels are not my favorite and sketch me but you'll get through

1544c

Reaction score
Tunnels on the UP in Wyoming:
Hermosa tunnel at the summit of Sherman hill. Pretty short
And the Aspen/Altamont tunnels, both over a mile long
Mile marker 900.1 to 904.8
I've never had any breathing troubles in the tunnels but I usually sit pretty far back from the engines
Your train roll slow or were you sitting up front?

D

Deleted member 2626

the first tunnel was after Cheyenne departure for sure, maybe after laramie and no we weren't too far up on the engines on either trains. The tunnels weren't too bad, I just don't like that at all and am claustrophobic. i love that tunnel before Evanston that has the lights in it. Kind of easier to take

C

crustythadd23

Ive been through a few different tunnels with my 2 dogs and I just threw my sleepin bag over them and they are completely fine.

D

Deleted member 2626

Yeah it really only kinda stinks and really is quite blissful on exit and seeing light or that cool blast of fresh western air

Dameon

Reaction score
Are you people insane? Don't cover your dog's head! Poor thing is worried enough and you're covering his head...

No, going through tunnels will not kill your dog, and covering his head will not protect him from fumes, only make the already traumatic experience even more traumatic.

Reactions: DoctorApocalypse
D

Deleted member 2626

Yeah I guess it really doesn't do anything. But it didn't scare him, hes only been on two trains and wasn't shaky or scared at all. He'd been around trains a lot before and spent lots of time in loud moving vehicles.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads