Dogs at Harvests

TGandChunk

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Not sure if this should be posted in this section or in the Making a Living section.
My boyfriend and I are thinking of working some sort of harvest in the fall. We both have dogs, and we're going to be rubber tramping it around again. I haven't done this sort of work with a dog, so I was wondering, for anybody who has and has also had a dog (or cat, or any animal with them, for that matter), what have you done while working with your animals?
I'm not sure if they'd be okay with us switching days working on/off (he'd work one day, I'd work another and so on), or if one of us should be the one to watch the dogs and the other do the work.

P

Pheonix

it all depends on the farmer, some will let you park up on their farm depending on their animal situation. But many others would rather hire someone that comes with less baggage, even if that person is illegal.

Are you talking about weed harvest or fruit & veggies? It does make a difference in the answer to the question.

TGandChunk

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Fruit/veggies preferably. Either Ocean Spray for Cranberries or possibly sugar beets in North Dakota or Montana. I don't have a passport to get into Canada legally and I'm not sure I'd do to well with weed harvest in Cali cause i don't have any connections there and I've heard from friends of mine that kids without such connections usually have a higher tendency to get screwed over on the hills up there.

P

Pheonix

You might have a hard time with Ocean Spray, just cause I think in your situation you should be looking for an smaller family farmer that is looking for help during the harvest season. Like I said talk to the farmer to see if he can let you park up on the farm, many farmers are willing to make special arrangements for their workers providing you do the labor they ask.

TGandChunk

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Awesome, thanks for your advice! :)
We were going to try to get some work at the Sugar Beet Harvest last year, but since we didn't have a vehicle then and didn't want to just show up with our dogs and nowhere really to put them. We're going to try talking to the farmer and hopefully we can just take the lead we have for them and hook them up in the bed of the truck with a tarp and plenty of water for them so they don't overheat.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
What about wineries? Lots of them are smallish operations, no?

P

Pheonix

I think in CA they are all owned by big companies with even the family-owned vineyards so greedy and money hungry that they usually just go for the workers that work for the least amount of money. people like that don't care about your dogs they only care about themselves.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads